Author Topic: BARGAIN THREAD  (Read 256694 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: BARGAIN THREAD
« Reply #570 on: 21:06:34, 30/06/18 »
Anyway, I got sidetracked by the real reason I clicked on the bargain thread  ;D

Aldi have camping gear "special buys" at the moment.  Mainly aimed at festival / campsite camping me thinks.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/2018-06-28?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ACamping&page=0

marmottungsten

« Reply #571 on: 02:08:50, 01/07/18 »
Anyway, I got sidetracked by the real reason I clicked on the bargain thread  ;D

Aldi have camping gear "special buys" at the moment.  Mainly aimed at festival / campsite camping me thinks.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/2018-06-28?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ACamping&page=0

Everything Aldi is selling for camping is way too heavy for backpacking...It's more suited for car campers and caravanners.  The only thing I saw that jumped out as a bargain is their "Ultra-Light Camping Chair", which looks like cheap Chinese copy of Helinox Chair One...The Chair One weighs about the same as the Aldi one but costs about £60 more!  But it's still too heavy for backpacking...I have the much lighter Helinox Chair Zero (weighs just 510g) for that.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #572 on: 09:27:14, 01/07/18 »
Everything Aldi is selling for camping is way too heavy for backpacking...It's more suited for car campers and caravanners.

Caravanners and car campers go hiking too so ultra-lightweight gear is of little concern  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #573 on: 10:23:14, 01/07/18 »

I have the much lighter Helinox Chair Zero (weighs just 510g) for that.

I have a much lighter non existent chair (weighs just zero g) for wild camping.  :D

As you say, the Aldi stuff is not for backpacking - but many on this forum are either not into backpacking, or (like myself), often camp from the boot of the car and go walking in the hills for a day.
« Last Edit: 10:35:39, 01/07/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #574 on: 10:32:43, 01/07/18 »

Slept on it last night, and I think that it is pretty decent; comfortable whether I was on my back or on my side. Packs really small, too. Tempted to go back and buy some more for family camping.

Only time will tell whether it is durable though, but I'll keep the receipt.

Weather so good that I couldn't resist sleeping out again; this mat is very comfortable; certainly works for me anyway.

One thing though, below where my sweaty back was, I noticed that the material in and around the grooves between the tubes was damp - the presence of this condensation suggests that the mat does not provide good insulation (as is to be expected from what is after all a bag of air), and for winter use, additional insulation in the form of a closed cell mat would be needed - which kind of negates the usefulness of the mat as far as I am concerned. Very good for summer use though.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #575 on: 10:43:13, 01/07/18 »

Weather so good that I couldn't resist sleeping out again; this mat is very comfortable; certainly works for me anyway.

One thing though, below where my sweaty back was, I noticed that the material in and around the grooves between the tubes was damp - the presence of this condensation suggests that the mat does not provide good insulation (as is to be expected from what is after all a bag of air), and for winter use, additional insulation in the form of a closed cell mat would be needed - which kind of negates the usefulness of the mat as far as I am concerned. Very good for summer use though.

But was the dampness condensation or sweat that was unable to evaporate ?
My back (shirts) get absolutely soaked when carrying my non-framed day-pack, its not condensation, simply sweat from having no air-flow to disperse it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #576 on: 10:53:10, 01/07/18 »

But was the dampness condensation or sweat that was unable to evaporate ?
My back (shirts) get absolutely soaked when carrying my non-framed day-pack, its not condensation, simply sweat from having no air-flow to disperse it.

Definitely condensation, Alan, concentrated around the cold spots between the tubes of air.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #577 on: 22:16:32, 01/07/18 »
Without backtracking thru every post on this thread, I don't know if this has already been mentioned. 

Anyhoo, OS mapping online, you can get a years subscription for £8 worth of Tesco vouchers, and then use it on every online device you have, cos it's accessed thru your web browser, (We can use it on both our phones, and each of our computers, and our tablets simultaneously).
Tracking on it isn't perfect, but you can plan routes, see other route ideas in the area of your choice, download maps, and it doesn't need a data signal, just gps when you are out and about.
I like it anyway  O0 O0

Ronin83

« Reply #578 on: 09:44:27, 04/07/18 »
Blacks/millets doin Scarpa terra gtx for £99.

Also leather(non gtx) delta pretty cheap here...
https://www.tauntonleisure.com/men-s-delta-leather-boots.html

Anyone used the delta?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #579 on: 11:38:11, 04/07/18 »
I bought some 'bargain' Boots own brand sticky heels to go inside my boots. I followed the instructions, left them for 24hrs for maximum grip then went off for a 5 mile walk. Came home, took my boots off and both sticky items had not stuck! Useless!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #580 on: 12:33:15, 04/07/18 »
Without backtracking thru every post on this thread, I don't know if this has already been mentioned. 

Anyhoo, OS mapping online, you can get a years subscription for £8 worth of Tesco vouchers, and then use it on every online device you have, cos it's accessed thru your web browser, (We can use it on both our phones, and each of our computers, and our tablets simultaneously).
Tracking on it isn't perfect, but you can plan routes, see other route ideas in the area of your choice, download maps, and it doesn't need a data signal, just gps when you are out and about.
I like it anyway  O0 O0

How do you do this? I can't see any mention of it on the OS site or Clubcard site

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #581 on: 12:45:38, 04/07/18 »

I like it anyway  O0 O0

I find when I have Google maps on my phone (using GPS) it flattens the battery in very short-order, the only way I can use it as a "Sat-Nav" is to have it plugged into a cigarette lighter.

What is the consumption / battery life like using this "OS Online" ?

If it is accessed thru' your web browser how can it work without a phone signal ?

When you say "tracking isn't perfect" what sort of errors are you finding ?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #582 on: 16:17:21, 04/07/18 »
I have Google Maps on my phone but I personally I haven't noticed it drains my battery in 'very short order?' I also have Backcountry maps, SityMaps and Real Time Tracker 2 on as well. Even with them on all of the time I still get a full days use from my mobile.

Twiggy2

« Reply #583 on: 15:34:13, 05/07/18 »
Ultimate outdoors have 50% off at the moment

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #584 on: 21:10:42, 05/07/18 »

I find when I have Google maps on my phone (using GPS) it flattens the battery in very short-order, the only way I can use it as a "Sat-Nav" is to have it plugged into a cigarette lighter.

What is the consumption / battery life like using this "OS Online" ?

If it is accessed thru' your web browser how can it work without a phone signal ?

When you say "tracking isn't perfect" what sort of errors are you finding ?
My phone is very good on battery anyway, leaving the GPS on doesn't drain it.  Using OS online seems to be as light on the battery as you are looking at the screen - i.e the more you use it to map read, the faster your battery will wear out.
 It seems to work by caching the map so that you don't need a data signal as you move around, until you walk out of the area you've got on screen as it were. You can download a map onto your device prior to leaving home, in theory your device should then not need a data signal at all - just the GPS signal.  I've not managed to work off the downloaded map properly yet (mostly because I've not tried).   I've not really had a problem so far, always picking up a data signal just in time to cache the next  bit of OS Map.  I prefer to try and use my printed route map , and then OS online when I think I might have gone astray. 

All the usual stuff about mileage, height, miles per hour etc are also there.   

As far as the tracking is concerned, I've had problems where it seems to have stopped when I've switched over to check messages or something.  Again, I think it's user error.  I've never read the instructions.
What I really like is that the OS Map can be zoomed in or out (old eyes can't see small stuff), a route can be worked out at home on the computer and immediately synced with my phone, and I can print maps off, (with a bit of fiddling to make it large enough for me to see without rooting round for reading glasses). 

You can save your routes, and tracks when you get that right (privately or publicly), and also have access to every route that any other person has stored publicly.  I tend to stick to just the "Premium" routes for route ideas, and I have found some good ones.
As I said, I like it.   O0 O0

PS even using it all day, constantly checking stuff, zooming in, out and mucking around, I think I went through about 50% of my battery life.   If I just leave it on in the background, it doesn't seem to have much effect.

« Last Edit: 21:15:08, 05/07/18 by dittzzy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy