Author Topic: Gear Help Please  (Read 3376 times)

Nuluvius

Gear Help Please
« on: 10:36:58, 24/02/19 »
Just starting out and wanted some recommendations on jackets, fleeces and trousers please. I have looked at the 3 in 1 systems and understand that they are considered to be gimmicky. Moreover reviews seem to find quality/usability issues across brands.

I like the idea of a detachable or otherwise packaway hood on the jacket. Otherwise good features as I will likely be taking on all manner of hiking.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Gear Help Please
« Reply #1 on: 11:27:40, 24/02/19 »

Welcome.

I think a little more detail about where and when you intend to walk would be helpful as very little 'kit' will be suitable for all areas, all terrains. in all weathers at all times of the year.

Ideal clothing for walking the Lincolnshire fens in August will not be suitable for walking the Scottish Highlands in February, and Vice-Versa.

Nuluvius

« Reply #2 on: 21:58:01, 26/02/19 »
Welcome.

I think a little more detail about where and when you intend to walk would be helpful as very little 'kit' will be suitable for all areas, all terrains. in all weathers at all times of the year.

Ideal clothing for walking the Lincolnshire fens in August will not be suitable for walking the Scottish Highlands in February, and Vice-Versa.

Thanks. So for now it will be predominantly East Anglia, in all weathers. Things that are a good all rounder I suppose? I understand that different climates will require distinctly different gear. In time I would expect to have swappable components to deal with those use cases.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:48:53, 26/02/19 »

Thanks. So for now it will be predominantly East Anglia, in all weathers. Things that are a good all rounder I suppose? I understand that different climates will require distinctly different gear. In time I would expect to have swappable components to deal with those use cases.

I'd suggest that you just use your 'normal' T-Shirts, jumpers, Fleece, cargo trousers and concentrate on getting top quality :

1) Boots
2) Waterproof/ windproof / warm - Coat / Jacket / Shell (call it whatever)
3) Waterproof / windproof trousers.

I do tend to 'walk-warm' and in dry weather will wear a short sleeved T-Shirt and a thin pair of cargo-pants down to about 5*C.
Below 5*C I'll add a thin long sleeved jumper and a thin Merino wool balaclava to keep my ears warm.
Below 0*C I add a 'leather jerkin with a mesh back - the leather front keeps the cold wind off my chest but the mesh lets a bit of ventilation in at the back to help reduce the sweat. Wear a pair of thin Merino wool glove liners (without the gloves)

Wet weather is more of a problem as I sweat so much whatever the makers claim about breathability I'd not be much wetter without a 'top-layer'.
Getting wet makes you cold, so the trick is to try and keep as dry as possible.

Start walking wearing what you've got, find out if you are a 'hot-hiker' or a 'cold-hiker' and develop your own kit-list.

Remember - Everyone is different.

Nuluvius

« Reply #4 on: 19:34:21, 27/02/19 »

I'd suggest that you just use your 'normal' T-Shirts, jumpers, Fleece, cargo trousers and concentrate on getting top quality :

1) Boots
2) Waterproof/ windproof / warm - Coat / Jacket / Shell (call it whatever)
3) Waterproof / windproof trousers.

I do tend to 'walk-warm' and in dry weather will wear a short sleeved T-Shirt and a thin pair of cargo-pants down to about 5*C.
Below 5*C I'll add a thin long sleeved jumper and a thin Merino wool balaclava to keep my ears warm.
Below 0*C I add a 'leather jerkin with a mesh back - the leather front keeps the cold wind off my chest but the mesh lets a bit of ventilation in at the back to help reduce the sweat. Wear a pair of thin Merino wool glove liners (without the gloves)

Wet weather is more of a problem as I sweat so much whatever the makers claim about breathability I'd not be much wetter without a 'top-layer'.
Getting wet makes you cold, so the trick is to try and keep as dry as possible.

Start walking wearing what you've got, find out if you are a 'hot-hiker' or a 'cold-hiker' and develop your own kit-list.

Remember - Everyone is different.

Thank you, that’s very helpful. What about backpacks? Especially with hydration bladders.
« Last Edit: 19:51:14, 27/02/19 by Nuluvius »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:17:50, 27/02/19 »

Thank you, that’s very helpful. What about backpacks? Especially with hydration bladders.

A very personal choice.

How much you want to carry will determine the size you need.

My 'Summer' pack load (inc tent, sleeping bag, mattress,cook gear, 2-days supplies, clothes + bits and bobs) will fit in a 25 litre pack.

My 'Winter' pack load has thicker / heavier / bigger sleeping bag, thicker mattress, thicker clothes, more gas etc etc and fits in my Berghaus 65 litre (with loads of room to spare - probably only needs a 45 litre pack)

Most packs these days will accommodate a bladder, but again, personal choice, I'd rather carry 3 or 4 x 500ml water bottles. Easier to monitor how much you have drunk and how much is left and no problems with 'mould' growing in the bladder tube if you don't wash it out regularly enough.

It is important to ensure that you drink sufficient (particularly if you are a 'sweaty walker') to keep kidney functioning correctly.
The Doctor tells me if you don't have a Pee every hour or so you are not drinking enough.

Pitboot

« Reply #6 on: 21:44:30, 27/02/19 »
I have two water bladders and I don't use them much. I prefer a one litre collapsible bottle, no reason apart from the fact that a bottle is simpler. If I think I will need more water I take along an MSR light weight pump/filter which is fantastic and only weighs a couple of ounces. I can top up my bottle from this or drink direct from a stream or lake.

As for rucksacks, around 30 litre capacity should be enough for most needs. Have a look at some of the newer Lowe Alpine sacks, I use a 25L model and find it better suited for me than the Osprey I used to walk with. (Personal opinion only.)

Some sacks are sized so I would recommend visiting a shop to try out.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:13:25, 28/02/19 »
Welcome to the forum, Nuluvius.

As Alan has suggested, spend your money on boots and waterproofs. You probably have perfectly adequate base/mid layer clothing already; if not, any fleece/comfortable trousers will do (as long as they are not cotton).

And do try a rucksack on before buying.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:16:51, 28/02/19 »
I agree, spend your money on boots and on keeping dry. The other staff can be purchased as you learn more about what you really need. When I think of the mistakes I've purchased I could have flown around the world with the same money. I think the rule of thump is don't wear cotton items, well I don't anyway, soaks up water, takes ages to dry and when wet just makes you cold.

RogerA

« Reply #9 on: 17:28:46, 28/02/19 »
Very easy to spend lots of money ... often not needed. I would say that if you're not sure what to get then (other than boots) not to concentrate on getting the best quality (expensive) but rather getting something at a sensible (cheap) price.

Another vote for boots and waterproof as highest priority, of these boots far more so imo
Perhaps also worth considering some walking trousers - craghopper kiwis are often reduced to £25-30 and make a massive difference (e.g. vs jeans) in the rain or long wet grass.
For a pack I have 2, a lowe alpine 35 which is great for a half / all day but often I take my reflective 12l £5 from amazon pack that weights next to nothing. Both will hold a bladder.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:38:00, 28/02/19 »

Perhaps also worth considering some walking trousers - craghopper kiwis are often reduced to £25-30 and make a massive difference (e.g. vs jeans) in the rain or long wet grass.

I have quite taken to Aldi's 'Workzone' Cargo trousers (£9.99).
Similar to the Craghoppers with reinforced Knees & Bum and an assortment of pockets (including one zipped one - ideal for the car keys and a bit of cash)

Various colours and sizes :

Example : https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-slate-31%22-workwear-trousers/p/087639266699802

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:29:00, 28/02/19 »
I agree, spend your money on boots and on keeping dry. The other staff can be purchased as you learn more about what you really need. When I think of the mistakes I've purchased I could have flown around the world with the same money. I think the rule of thump is don't wear cotton items, well I don't anyway, soaks up water, takes ages to dry and when wet just makes you cold.

I like the idea that you have staff along on your walks.  O0

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:12:25, 28/02/19 »

I like the idea that you have staff along on your walks.  O0

"Staff"

They call them 'Sherpas' or 'Porters' in some parts of the world.

Nuluvius

« Reply #13 on: 07:38:27, 02/03/19 »
Thanks for the advice. So far I think it makes sense for me to pick up some Kiwi Pros, use bottled water and a smaller pack at least initially (that can fit some bottles and my waterproof, any advice on model?).

Otherwise I've been trying to find a decent waterproof but near enough every jacket I have looked at has come with a host of bad reviews, seemingly pointing at recent quality issues. I think it makes sense to go for something with a detachable/stowable hood and pit zippers. All my local shops don't really stock much and what they do stock is either old and outdated stock or a truly horrid colour.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:03:03, 02/03/19 »
Avoid a detachable hood - my experience of these on work gear is not good.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy