Author Topic: Wild Country Helm tent  (Read 2853 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Wild Country Helm tent
« on: 10:18:06, 15/12/18 »
I was browsing on line last night and noticed that they sell the Helm tent. Does anyone use one, if so what do you think of it?

Sonatine

Re: Wild Country Helm tent
« Reply #1 on: 12:46:01, 15/12/18 »
There's a fair few reviews on the old youtube you could have a look at.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:11:17, 15/12/18 »
Thats why I like this site, I prefer to take notice of our members, You Tube, could be anybody!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:18:12, 15/12/18 »
Thats why I like this site, I prefer to take notice of our members, You Tube, could be anybody!

As, possibly, are some of the members, save thee or me of course ;)

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:25:28, 15/12/18 »
This is the tent that my partner and I were trying out for size in a tent show - with the door zipped up to get the real feel of the tent - when a small boy unzipped it and stood staring down at us til his father hurriedly pulled him away. Still wonder if he really thought we might be trying it out for ::)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:40:40, 16/12/18 »

No hands on experience of the Helm myself, Gunwharfman, but I have browsed it online. It looks like a good strong tent - similar in some respects to the much more expensive Terra Nova Southern Cross. I particularly like the crossover pole design - looks much stronger than the MSR Hubba type.

..but I'm only going off what I have seen online.
« Last Edit: 09:03:21, 16/12/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Maggot

« Reply #6 on: 10:35:02, 16/12/18 »
To be honest, it's a Wild Country.  'nuff said.  It's like saying I am looking at a really fast car, do you think this McLaren will fit the bill?

Wild Country have an excellent reputation, and have the experience and pedigree to not turn out something that is a bit crap.

What was it you wanted specifically?  I would say it's too big, but I do 95% of my camping just me and a Beagle, and 75% of that not in a tent, but a bivvi bag and tarp.  I know a couple of weight weenies who would say it's too heavy, I know a bloke is 6' 8", he would say it's too small, if you are on your own, you could probably go lighter as you wouldn't need two doors and two porches, so the Helm 1 would probably be a better bet.  Unless you are huge and take a ton of kit, then the extra space may be useful.

But if I was replacing my two person tent, then I wouldn't hesitate in buying a Wild Country. I think the only way you will really know is to go and find one and get in it.
« Last Edit: 10:59:06, 16/12/18 by Maggot »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:57:44, 16/12/18 »
Can you get spare poles?
FIbre glass poles spilt , and snap easily then it's a  problem getting them replaced. I know you've got this problem with one of your existing  tents.

Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:15:46, 16/12/18 »
Can you get spare poles?
FIbre glass poles spilt , and snap easily then it's a  problem getting them replaced. I know you've got this problem with one of your existing  tents.

The Helm 1 and 2 use 8.5mm alloy poles. Virtually indestructible, and Wild Country/Terra Nova would be able to provide spares, I'm sure.

I've got an elderly Wild Country Trisar tent - wonderful bit of kit that has withstood some fierce weather over the course of almost 3 decades. Wild Country build them to last!
« Last Edit: 16:35:04, 16/12/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:55:50, 16/12/18 »
Thanks Richard
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy