Author Topic: Coffee when camping/hiking  (Read 2651 times)

dank86

Coffee when camping/hiking
« on: 17:46:21, 30/10/19 »
I found a new device for making cups of coffee and it looks like it'll work really well during a hike.
I know some people like their instant coffee, but on longer camping trips info like a proper cup.

It's called the brew it stick and is £12 and makes a very nice cup of coffee.

I have posted a video about it on my channel or if you just want to see it on Amazon here's it's link https://amzn.to/2JyC7gq

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Coffee when camping/hiking
« Reply #1 on: 18:05:55, 30/10/19 »
I'm glad I watched the video because when I glanced at the main page I thought the base was the cup.

dank86

« Reply #2 on: 18:14:16, 30/10/19 »
So easy to mistake it for something else, glad I've got one now though

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:35:34, 30/10/19 »
It reminded me of an updated version of a double-sided sprung loaded perforated spoon my mother used to use to make us a cup of tea so we wouldn't have tea leaves in the bottom of our cups. I personally wouldn't buy such a coffee maker but for ground coffee drinkers it looks very neat. What do you do with the container when the coffee is old, wash it under a tap? When I'm hiking I only drink water, nothing else.

dank86

« Reply #4 on: 18:40:14, 30/10/19 »
I know what you're on about my nan used to have one of them tea strainer things.

After I've used it I leave it drip dry in it drip pot and put the grounds in my food waste bin, a quick rinse under the tap gets any of the little bits left.

On day hikes I'll just have water on me, sometimes I'll have a cook set in the car if it's a cold or wet day, sometimes it's nice to have a warm drink. I'm mainly going to be using it on multiday trips where a coffee in the morning is needed lol

motorlaunch

« Reply #5 on: 17:22:23, 31/10/19 »
I find coffee bags quite adequate. Pop one into boiling water  and leave till the desired taste is reached. When finished, split the bag and leave the coffee grounds on the floor. Carry the paper out with you.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:12:51, 31/10/19 »
I find coffee bags quite adequate. Pop one into boiling water  and leave till the desired taste is reached. When finished, split the bag and leave the coffee grounds on the floor. Carry the paper out with you.
Taylor’s of Harrogate Hot Lava Java - strength 6. That will keep you awake. I use the bags at work to save making a pot of coffee and having to clean it up afterwards. I usually make a pot of it using the ground version for breakfast.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:12:39, 31/10/19 »
... When finished, split the bag and leave the coffee grounds on the floor. Carry the paper out with you.

Why not carry it all out with you? 

motorlaunch

« Reply #8 on: 21:42:04, 31/10/19 »
The coffee grounds will wash into the ground and rot down. Similarly with teabags. The paper won't.  Don't want to have to carry numerous soggy bags. There is enough packaging rubbish which has to be carried until you reach a bin.  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:45:51, 31/10/19 »
'Fraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

To me, it's littering.  Same as leaving banana skins, orange peel and apple cores.  Yes, they might rot down, but they don't belong there and look unsightly.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:00:15, 31/10/19 »
Coffee grounds and tea leaves compost down very quickly, but the bags around them do not.  It can take three years for the actual bag in a tea bag to breakdown in a proper hot compost heap, they are laced with plastic. Banana peel and orange skins just dumped take an awful lot longer to compost than people realise.
Edited to add, that looks like a handy piece of camping gear, Dan. Good video too.
« Last Edit: 22:39:41, 31/10/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 04:37:28, 01/11/19 »
I use coffee grounds as compost in my garden.  I scatter them directly on the soil. Works well and gives the slugs a real high.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:29:34, 01/11/19 »
I didn`t realise that you could get coffee bags.. ??? I sometimes brew fresh coffee but always find it a bit of a faff too. I like the barista brand name coffee from Nescafe. It has fresh grounds in it and being instant is quick and easy. For me it is the closest yet to that fresh coffee taste...
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:19:50, 01/11/19 »
I use coffee grounds as compost in my garden.  I scatter them directly on the soil. Works well and gives the slugs a real high.
Yep, really good composted or as a mulch. Not so sure about the slugs though, I think they get to like it.  :-\
RHS long term tests proved nothing much works with slugs. Published last year. Beer traps seem to be ok. My Allotment neighbour believes that drinking the beer first and letting the slugs have the second hand beer is best.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:52:15, 01/11/19 »
I can’t stand instant coffee. To me it is like non-alcoholic beer, low fat spread, or non-malt whisky. I would rather go without than have the artificial version. The real stuff less often is much better.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy