Author Topic: Map case  (Read 1748 times)

Nomad32

Map case
« on: 19:40:10, 07/10/19 »
What is your experience with the cases available. I had a cheap case and fair play i did get a good few walks on it but its bit the dust. What case would you get?

motorlaunch

Re: Map case
« Reply #1 on: 19:47:27, 07/10/19 »
Ortlieb has a good reputation.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:47:56, 07/10/19 »
We had a thread on map cases recently here

For us - Ortlieb every time, our A4 map case has seen serious use for years.

Edit: typo only.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:49:16, 08/10/19 »
Never got on with map cases. They make it nigh on impossible to put the map in my pocket when not in use, and add a barrier between me and the map when in use.
I do have something I was once given that holds a single sheet of A4 very snugly (well, several, but you can only see the top one). It works well, but only for printouts. I mostly use it for notes (e.g. when/where to meet groups, their contact numbers, medical details, etc.) but it has worked for maps.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:05:53, 08/10/19 »
I have two map cases, my GPS and my phone, both contain maps that cover the whole of the UK  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:33:20, 08/10/19 »
I have two map cases, my GPS and my phone, both contain maps that cover the whole of the UK  O0
My phone and GPS only have maps of parts of the world I am currently interested in walking!  The rest of the my map collection is backed up in my laptop.
I gave up map cases about 7 years ago but examination of the previous threads on the subject suggests Ortlieb is a favoured brand for those that still use them.
Solvitur Ambulando

Man wae a dug

« Reply #6 on: 19:30:23, 08/10/19 »
I don't want to hijack the thread here but I have a newbie (idiots) question on cases and didn't feel it merited a thread so if it's ok to ask..... 

Would you need a map case even if you were using one of the weatherproof OS maps?   :-[
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

taxino8

« Reply #7 on: 19:44:37, 08/10/19 »
I just print off a few sheets covering the area I’m walking and stick them into a zip top plastic bag and stuff it into a handy pocket but I also have a Garmin 64S with full U.K. mapping and OS App on my IPhone.

Nomad32

« Reply #8 on: 20:05:48, 08/10/19 »
I like to take the map with me so i can change route as and when. Sometimes you pass the end of a page and have to change position of the map. Usually i plan the route and have the map folded in suchba way as to make the transition easy. There is no substitute to a decent os map and compass

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:13:08, 08/10/19 »

Would you need a map case even if you were using one of the weatherproof OS maps?   :-[

If you mean the laminated os maps then no, there're bombproof if very stiff. The Harvey all weather polyethylene maps are much better IMHO. Not so stiff and almost like paper but don't need mapcases. Unfortunately they don't cover all mountain areas.   

taxino8

« Reply #10 on: 20:24:26, 08/10/19 »
You can get Toughprint waterproof paper to print your selected map on, assuming you have a mapping software product.
I’ve used it before and find it very good but ran out so resorted to normal A4 in a plastic bag.

Man wae a dug

« Reply #11 on: 20:55:30, 08/10/19 »

If you mean the laminated os maps then no, there're bombproof if very stiff. The Harvey all weather polyethylene maps are much better IMHO. Not so stiff and almost like paper but don't need mapcases. Unfortunately they don't cover all mountain areas.

Thanks.  O0
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:00:22, 08/10/19 »
There is no substitute to a decent os map and compass
  Oh yes there is!
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:04:20, 08/10/19 »

No  O0

I use a small bulldog clip to stop it opening out again of its own accord though  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:46:42, 09/10/19 »
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy