Author Topic: Advice on quickest route from Scafell Pike summit to Wythburn  (Read 1326 times)

FD2020

Hi all,
Advice gratefully received; I am attempting Scafell Pike to Helvellyn to Skiddaw in one day.  The trickiest part seems to be Scafell Pike to Wythburn, any advice on the shortest route for a group who can read a map well, moderately fit but new to the area.  Would it be north at Angle Tarn up Langstrath or North East towards High Raise and then up the valley to Wythburn.  Thoughts really welcome.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum. :)

A quick search online reveals that High Raise is the route used by professional guides.

https://www.lakelandmountainguides.co.uk/lakeland-3000s-in-24-hours
https://thelakedistrictwalker.co.uk/lakeland-3000s-24h-challenge.html/
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
That sounds a great adventure  O0
If it were me I'd head for Angle Tarn then cut across the ridge to meet the Cumbria Way at the top of Stake Pass, you can keep to the easier paths  which avoid climbing up towards Rossett Pike and Black Crag. From Stake Pass the climb up to High Raise can seem a long way as you have to contour around some deep stream valleys.
 From High Raise It's easy fast walking down the hill to Greenup Edge from where I'd climb back up towards Ullscarf then turn right and come down the ridge to Stenkin and the road.
I have ascended this way and thought it was a good route
 The path down through Wythburn might be better but from the map it does look boggy and as I've never been that way I cant say for sure.

Hope this helps and good luck  :)

FD2020

Excellent, many thanks to you both.  Really helpful and so fast. Greatly appreciated.

Whilst I am here, is there a pub that either of you recommend in Keswick that does great real ales and good pub grub that very weary walkers can collapse into on a saturday night (COVID permitting)

Skip

• Veteran Member
. . . recommend in Keswick that does great real ales and good pub grub . . .

The Dog and Gun. Famous for its Goulash.
Skip

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Good luck!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
The Dog and Gun. Famous for its Goulash.

Normally we'd agree wholeheartedly. But we went in last Thursday evening and their COCID measures are simultaneously draconian and ineffective. Plus hubby had an off pint - definitely not well kept. The heart had gone from the place last week. Made us sad.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy