Author Topic: Exped drybag leaking. Any alternatives?  (Read 2234 times)

b_london

Exped drybag leaking. Any alternatives?
« on: 13:54:12, 05/02/19 »
Hi
I was walking in very heavy wind & rain all day ( :) ). Found that one of my exped bags (those ones in different colours with the black and grey closure) had leaked a lot. I’m 85% sure it was properly sealed. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas for a genuine waterproof alternative? I’m thinking ortleib or osprey. Or maybe the exped liners (rather than the little sacks) are more waterproof?

Ralph

Re: Exped drybag leaking. Any alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: 14:27:17, 05/02/19 »
Never had a Exped fail but if I need to replace I will look at Alpkit. Bought several items from them and the quality & the service has been 1st class.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:20:19, 05/02/19 »
Every now and again, depending on how much my dry bags have been scrunched up I pour fabsil into them and give then a good scooshing around then  pass the fabsil to  another bag, when complete I fill the remaining fabsil into a hand sprayer which I do my tent with at least twice a year.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ralph

« Reply #3 on: 15:30:38, 05/02/19 »
Jimbob, what a great idea, obviously it works OK.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:33:56, 05/02/19 »
Jimbob, what a great idea, obviously it works OK.
Well I've never had one leak so who knows. I was told that the lightweight stuff doesn't like being crinkled and that if they get a crease they can lose their waterproofing along the crease. Since I do what I do,  I don't know if I've stopped a problem from happening or was never going to have one. Then again we pay for life insurance in the hope it is never  needed don't we.

b_london

« Reply #5 on: 15:35:02, 05/02/19 »
I haven’t heard of fabsil. Sounds good!
I’ll look into thanks

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:00:39, 05/02/19 »
I really like the podsac ones.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #7 on: 08:04:42, 06/02/19 »
I usually chuck my Exped bags in with my Paramo stuff when I'm reproofing it.   Seems to work OK.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:22:19, 06/02/19 »
I think I have a slight dry-bag fettish.
My older ones are exped and a couple of newer are Alpkit. Somebody I know is a real skin-flint and he said he had no problem with the Karrimor ones from Sports Direct. Being an inverted snob I thought that was unlikely but I gave them a try ..... and they do seem as good as all my others. They are a bit heavier duty material than the Alpkit, but that seems to be the only difference.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:45:56, 06/02/19 »
I'm not sure about reproofing drybags.
Reproofing with stuff like Nikwax, Grangers and whatever does not actually waterproof things. It merely adds a hydrophobic layer causing water to bead on the surface rather than soaking in. That can have the effect of improving the performance of  jackets where drops can be shed off but with drybags, they're subject to being rubbed up against the inside of a rucksack etc which quickly defeats beading. I would have thought you want them to be properly waterproof - PU coated and taped fabric with no holes or anything.

If a drybag is letting in water then IMHO you need to either find and patch the hole or, if the fabric is no longer impermeable, bin it - unless you don't mind it not being reliable. A reproofed bag might hold off water a bit better but it can never make it waterproof. I wouldn't want my down sleeping bag for example in a reproofed bag that previously leaked.
I tend to get my bags from Sports Direct where the often have them going pretty cheap. Not the lightest but yhey don't seem terrible.

Ralph

« Reply #10 on: 17:57:01, 06/02/19 »
I thought that everyone knew that Sports Direct labels are pre printed with inflated prices and then with the discounted price. So not as cheap as you think.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:17:13, 06/02/19 »
I thought that everyone knew that Sports Direct labels are pre printed with inflated prices and then with the discounted price. So not as cheap as you think.

Yeah they're right dodgy sods. Seem to be immune from trading standards. A couple of years back I got a pack of 5 bags for £20 ranging from a little 1 or 2L up to about 40L I think. Seemed like a pretty good price at the time
TBH I try not to buy anything there because of the way they do business.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:23:04, 06/02/19 »
I reckon that if I can use a Fabsilled dry bag as a very efficient water carrier then it has been waterproofed. O0
But of course I have no scentific proof , apart from what it says on the tin.

Ralph

« Reply #13 on: 19:29:11, 06/02/19 »
Remaining with the topic of Sports Direct, a few years ago a friend of mine bought a Montane Litespeed jacket from them reduced from £65 to £49:99. I bought mine from Cotswold full price £50 but then a 15% discount for YHA membership, I paid £42:50.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:36:01, 06/02/19 »
Remaining with the topic of Sports Direct,
At least SD pay their taxes in the UK, no one knows who owns Cotswolds (PAI) they may be based in Switzerland or Luxembourg,  the actual owners are nameless.
By the way the topic was actually about waterproof bags and their demise.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy