Author Topic: A short excursion on the Offas Dyke path. Returning along the Shropshire way.  (Read 1197 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
I got up around 6am and drove for a tad under two hours to Spoad hill, which is just south of a hamlet called Newcastle and west of Clun town, on our side of the Welsh / England border. I live in a suburb of South Birmingham.

It was glorious sunshine with a breeze to cool down if needed . After 20 easy minutes it is a steep climb on the Offa`s Dyke path up Graig hill. It was my first time in that area and I needed a Welsh feel without driving into Wales.  O0

I am so glad I did. I have read positive reports on here about the Offas Dyke path and have walked a stretch in Wales over the years , which is near Knighton. All very lovely.

I met just two other people on my way round and one of those was a footpath worker who was surveying the gates and stiles for any potential repairs needed. He told me he was likely to walk 14 mile while working yesterday.   

It was quiet up in the hills. :) :)

This is the view that greeted me after climbing the very first of many stiles .

Hello !

Fields of Barley.

A field of yellow at Hergan Hill. Buttercups.

A sliver of sunlight, as I walked through a copse near the end of my walk.

Just before returning to my car, weary and happy.

It was around 8 mile all in.

Thanks for having a gander.   O0
« Last Edit: 12:45:33, 21/05/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

watershed

That looks beautiful, thanks for sharing

Ridge

• Veteran Member
They are lovely pics. O0
Isn't it great that we are starting to get out again.

GnP

• Veteran Member
That looks beautiful, thanks for sharing
Appreciate your comment. O0

They are lovely pics. O0
Isn't it great that we are starting to get out again.

Thanks !
Getting out gives us back that psychological freedom too doesn`t it . I knew it was important  but now value it even more. O0 O0
« Last Edit: 15:17:03, 21/05/20 by GinAndPlatonic »

pleb

• Veteran Member
That green is very very green!  O0  Looks great country.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
What lovely countryside, smashing pics G&P  O0

Getting out gives us back that psychological freedom too doesn`t it . I knew it was important  but now value it even more. O0 O0

It does, for most walkers the lockdown has been especially difficult to cope with.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos - and those buttercups remind me of Orkney.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Very fine border country and pics  O0
Wild flower and buttercup meadows are lovely. I think I've mentioned before that the numerous stiles on the ODP add a considerable amount to the total ascent of the route.

GnP

• Veteran Member
That green is very very green!  O0  Looks great country.
I sometimes think the green looks more green this year...maybe because of less pollution or just my imagination. ??? :)
What lovely countryside, smashing pics G&P  O0

It does, for most walkers the lockdown has been especially difficult to cope with.
Thanks.
Yes walking = freedom. :)
Lovely photos - and those buttercups remind me of Orkney.
Thanks. !  O0
Very fine border country and pics  O0
Wild flower and buttercup meadows are lovely. I think I've mentioned before that the numerous stiles on the ODP add a considerable amount to the total ascent of the route.

Thanks !I know for sure my legs speak to me more, at the end of a day climbing stile after stile..
I walked halfway back up up the original hill, before heading back to my car on an unplanned detour, just to get away from some Heifers that were way too interested in me. I think cattle are basically lazy and cannot be bothered to follow anyone up a steep hill.  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Now that looks a lovely walk and, yes, very green.  Our green and pleasant land is looking very fine this year and you may be right about the lack of pollution but I do think glorious sunshine helps.

I now have Eva Cassidy's "fields of gold" song in my head for both your barley field and buttercup field of gold  :)

Thanks for posting  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
Your pleasure in the walk shines through in the exultant photos
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Great photos, lovely part of the world. Odds on you would have got a pint at the Anchor in Newcastle, even if it was passed out to you on the end of a Pitch fork.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics G&P - and you are so right about the psychological freedom - for me, the uplift lasts for several days.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Your pleasure in the walk shines through in the exultant photos
Thank you so much..the great thing about any photo from camera or phone...you can go back and look, time and time again . :)

Great photos, lovely part of the world. Odds on you would have got a pint at the Anchor in Newcastle, even if it was passed out to you on the end of a Pitch fork.
Thank you . Now that made me laugh!! ;D And the guy who worked for the council surveying the gates & stiles that I met, told me he was having a beer later...I wonder. ;)

Lovely pics G&P - and you are so right about the psychological freedom - for me, the uplift lasts for several days.
Thanks .! The endorphins are better than any drug too. O0

Skip

• Veteran Member
Thank you very much - great photos that capture the walk well.   :)

As an aside, I walked the Marches the other day. While driving east of Corndon Hill on back lanes I inadvertently strayed into Wales, thus breaking Welsh coronavirus regulations. The first I knew of it was passing a police car clearly marked Heddlu. Luckily the road was too narrow for him to turn round and a few hundred metres further on I crossed back into England.
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy