Author Topic: Baselayer question  (Read 3161 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Baselayer question
« Reply #15 on: 06:19:19, 04/11/17 »
The ones I’ve used most in recent years have been Paramo Cambria (something like that) which are reversible. List price is chunky about 45 quid but probably you can get for around 30.

Reversing fabric does make a noticeable difference, wear one way round for warm conditions, other way round for cool. Fairly light..but I’m not sure if they’d save you the 200gm target.

I use them in a wide range of conditions...by standards of UK. But when it gets close to zero switch to Odlo baselayers, which are warmer still.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:22:03, 04/11/17 »
It's high time I stepped in to thank everyone for their input so far.

lostme1: That is an incredibly low price for Merino wool and a good light weight too. Unfortunately it's a short-sleeved top when I want long sleeves (I hadn't thought to mention that before), also there are no longjohns to go with it either. Nevertheless, I will now be keeping a close eye on what Aldi might offer in the coming months.

Fernman: From time to time Aldi have the long sleeve version and long johns. I have the long sleeve top and will post the weight later when I have weighed it. You can sign up to the Aldi twice weekly emails to get advance notice of what is coming up. You can also buy it from Aldi and return it if not suitable.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:48:08, 04/11/17 »
I've a couple of Patagonia silk-weight capalene tops and a pair of long Johns, I got them out of a bargain bin ages ago so I've no idea if they still make them or the price. Very comfortable and wick really well, because of the silk finish they don't bunch up around your knees and elbows. Their also very light, unfortunately their getting very worn now.   

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:21:31, 04/11/17 »
I've tried Merino, Bamboo and synthetic. I prefer bamboo but I tend to opt for the synthetic mostly because mine tend to dry quicker. The reason for my approach is due to the way I like to hike. I only carry two baselayers, plus two underwear and two pairs of socks. I have a very lightweight foldable bowl and at the end of a walking day I fill it with water, I take off my baselayer and wash it, I then put on the other. In the morning my wet baselayer is strung across the back of my rucksack and will dry as I walk. When I stop I change items again. My routine works smoothly if the weather is fine, if it isn't I just adapt and get back to my original routine as quickly as I can. My routine also includes my underwear and socks, it just my way of carrying less.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:05:12, 04/11/17 »
Thanks again for everyone's replies.

The HH ones from Screwfix are certainly interesting, who'd have thunk of looking there! Very good prices and some seem to be lighter weight, though difficult to tell as specs of some include weight and some don't.

I'll sign up for Aldi as suggested, there's a big new one recently opened less than 2 miles from home but I'll take my digital scales if I go there! (Also a Lidl opening soon on the route there, but baselayers I saw on their website were 43% cotton, say no more.)

Patagonia Capilene Lightweight excited me most from the weight point of view, but they're at the upper end of what I would pay, while they appear to be in short supply, I think I'd find it difficult getting both top and bottom in my size from the same supplier.

As for washing them as I go, my trips are 4 days max, and the sheep don't complain.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:08:00, 04/11/17 »
Fernman - As promised, my aldi long sleeve merino top weighs 150g
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:14:11, 04/11/17 »
Thanks for that. Following your earlier suggestion, I'll be keeping an eye on Aldi, as stated in my previous post.

Kev627

« Reply #22 on: 21:09:40, 04/11/17 »
I've got some 30 year old tops and long johns my Dad used when he was in the Army that serve me perfectly well!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy