Author Topic: Dingle Way  (Read 3858 times)

BirchYellow

Dingle Way
« on: 23:29:08, 31/05/14 »
My partner and I are thinking of walking part of the Dingle Way at the end of June but we only have 6 days. So my question is which bit is less of a sacrifice to miss out, Cloghane to Tralee, or Tralee to Dingle?

In other words, given the constraints would people recommend walking Tralee to Cloghane, or Dingle to Tralee (both clockwise).

Any other suggestions, recommendations, etc. most welcome. We'll be getting there by train/ferry and stopping at B&Bs while we're there. Cheers

Dave
Walk leaflets for pubs, hotels, B&Bs and campsites:
www.walksfromthedoor.co.uk [nofollow]

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Re: Dingle Way
« Reply #1 on: 14:40:56, 05/06/14 »
It's been a good few years since I was on the Dingle peninsula, but my personal choice would be Dingle to Cloghane clockwise.

Better scenery IMO.

BirchYellow

« Reply #2 on: 17:09:17, 05/06/14 »
Thanks Penygadair, but we were always going to do the Dingle to Cloghane section (which, as you say, looks like the most scenic bit). The question is whether we stick Tralee to Dingle on the beginning, or Cloghane to Tralee on the end (we haven't got time to do both). It's looking likely to be the latter, so we'll start from Dingle and end at Tralee.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:21:56, 06/06/14 »
Hi Birchyellow.

You haven't exactly said how you are travelling to and from your start and finish points, so as you mentioned ferry/rail I'm assuming that you will be relying on public transport. Just had a look out of interest and public transport is very limited. There is a daily service from Tralee to Dingle (5 trips a day) but Cloghane to Tralee operates only on Fridays. Alternative I guess is to walk from Cloghane to the main road around Camp for the Dingle-Tralee bus.

Link attached and you will have to scroll down to Kerry and click on services.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=247#Kerry

Excuse my interest on this. Possibly it's because I'll be in Co. Sligo later this month.

BirchYellow

« Reply #4 on: 16:15:13, 06/06/14 »
Thanks again.

The plan is to travel to Tralee on the train (remarkably, it's only just over £100 each for a return, including the ferry from Holyhead, from our starting point in Chester). It's a 10/11-hour journey to Tralee, arriving on Saturday evening, and we'd need to catch the return train from Tralee early the following Saturday morning, giving us six days (Sunday to Friday) walking time.

I had already checked out the buses - if we start from Dingle we'll get off the train in Tralee at 6.51pm and catch the last bus (8.10pm) to Dingle which gets there at about half nine. If, on the other hand, we stay over in Tralee and walk to Cloghane we're relying on catching the (weekly) Friday bus that you've identified, which leaves mid-afternoon from memory - so that does mean we'd have a deadline to keep on our last day walking, which is a point against that plan.

The guidebook has just arrived in the post so I'll have a good look at that before we take the final decision, but Dingle to Tralee is looking more and more likely.

Thanks for your interest! I'll post a trip report if it comes off.
Dave

BirchYellow

« Reply #5 on: 10:14:12, 07/06/14 »
Quote from the Dingle Way guidebook:

"Overall, about 48% of it follows tarmac (bitumen) roads, though nearly half of this is over once you reach Dingle at the end of the third day."

I think that has finally decided me to start at Dingle and finish at Tralee. More coast, less road.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:46:40, 07/06/14 »
Good luck.

Look forward to your Trip Report.

(Bit jealous I won't have time to get to Kerry this year)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:12:25, 07/06/14 »
You've got me thinking now.  Week to spare in Aug or Sept possibly.

Can I ask where you found the ferry & rail deal?

BirchYellow

« Reply #8 on: 09:53:32, 08/09/15 »
Excuse the enormous delay in replying. We didn't do the Dingle Way in the end, hence no trip report, though it's still on my radar.

The train/ferry "deal" was simply found by entering "Chester" and "Tralee" into one of those train-ticket websites; I've just had a quick look at thetrainline.com and it's quoting £60.50 for the outward journey and £56.50 for the return.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:22:21, 11/09/15 »
Thanks. Didn't work out for me either but at least I had a week in Yeats country (Co Sligo) last year.

Mebbe 2016?

Stephen Mac

« Reply #10 on: 17:09:42, 02/12/15 »
Hi there. When you come to visit the Dingle peninsula you really should try to climb Mount Brandon as well if you get the chance. If you need any advice or help in planning let me know. The whole place is amazing. O0

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:00:06, 09/12/15 »
Thanks Stephen. I agree that virtually all the west coast is amazing. Unfortunately visits over the last 40 years have been a trip from one in-laws dining table to the next, so hopefully 2016 will see a clandestine visit with no announcement of my presence in Ireland.

There are places I definitely want to visit so once I've formulated a broad plan, I'll PM you to ask for some walks to fit into the schedule.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy