Author Topic: Scafell Langdale route  (Read 2799 times)

stut4

Scafell Langdale route
« on: 11:52:28, 04/04/19 »
Is it possible to get a bit of advice?  [/size]I'm planning a hike from Langdale area to Scafell Pike back next week - approx 16 mile round trip. Prefer to set off from SE/East as we're staying in Windermere so want to avoid long drive to Wasdale. We're seasoned well equipped fit walkers often doing 10-15 miles, but not risk takers or wanting to try anything dangerous. Its our first time walking in the Lakes. Wondered if anyone has any views on this route or suggestions?  

or would it best to aim for the shorter Wasdale route and wrap the Helvellyn in later in the day?

itinerary really only allows for 1 full day of hiking. would like to get the most from it, so either 1 long hike, or two smaller ones.

thanks in advance

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Scafell Langdale route
« Reply #1 on: 12:21:52, 04/04/19 »
Great Langdale to Scafell Pike is a very nice, well trodden route though I wouldn't have thought it was quite that far. If the weather is good and you are used to hiking in Snowdonia/Dark Peak type areas you'll have no problems and a lovely day.
I'm assuming Mickleden, Rossett Gill, Angle Tarn, Esk Hause, Broad Crag, Sf P.

I wouldn't do Scafell Pike and Helvellyn on the same day by any routes, you are going to spend the whole time watching your watch instead of viewing the view.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:52:28, 04/04/19 »
^^ what Ridge said.  Though, I did this route a few years ago, adding in Great End, and I'm sure the gps had it at around 15 miles.  Hope the weather is clear - there are some cracking views on offer.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:59:21, 04/04/19 »
There is a great, but pretty tough, route for doing Scafell Pike from Langdale on the walking Englishman’s website:

https://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes29.htm

There are plenty of variations on the route you could take. I would try to minimise going back the way I’d come as much as possible.
« Last Edit: 13:30:45, 04/04/19 by Percy »

stut4

« Reply #4 on: 13:24:04, 04/04/19 »
thank you for all the comments. this was the route i was thinking, but maybe adding a slight diversion north around Angle Tarn.

i had a look on Google Earth and my only concern was if going clockwise, the accent from the east up to Scafell, and then the decent down to the dip before the accent going back up to SP. I couldn't tell if it was "rock climbing" territory, or a light scramble. as mentioned we are both fairly fit and previously done a number of Brecons and Scottish mountains.

many thanks

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:25:48, 04/04/19 »
What the others have said  :)

But there is snow on the fells (at the time of writing) so check the fell top conditions on the Weatherline website before you go. You may need crampons/ice axe and allow more time for your walk.

https://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/

I'm not sure when the fell top assessors stop doing their assessments, it may be they have finished by the time you go  :-\
Hate will never win

stut4

« Reply #6 on: 13:29:42, 04/04/19 »
thank you - very helpful site. will monitor this, and dig out the old ice axe i have just in case.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:33:28, 04/04/19 »
I'm not sure when the fell top assessors stop doing their assessments, it may be they have finished by the time you go  :-\
I think they are scheduled to stop at the end of March but keep doing it if it's still sufficiently wintry on the tops.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:50:21, 06/04/19 »
Are you intending to walk up both Scafell Pike and Sca Fell?
Did you mean incorporating Helvellyn in the same walk? Or doing it as a separate walk the same day?
Re walking from Langdale to Scafell Pike, the direct route (Mickleden, Rosset Pass, Angle Tarn, Esk Hause, Calf Cove, and Broad Crag) is just under six miles and involves approx 3,200 feet of accumulated ascent.

Skip

stut4

« Reply #9 on: 10:03:51, 08/04/19 »
Are you intending to walk up both Scafell Pike and Sca Fell?
Did you mean incorporating Helvellyn in the same walk? Or doing it as a separate walk the same day?
Re walking from Langdale to Scafell Pike, the direct route (Mickleden, Rosset Pass, Angle Tarn, Esk Hause, Calf Cove, and Broad Crag) is just under six miles and involves approx 3,200 feet of accumulated ascent.

Initial plan is to start from Langdale and make way to Scafell Pike.
The onward climb to Scafell and around looks a bit more technical from what i can see online, so we'll either return from Pike to Langdale via the same route, or will attempt decent on the eastern face of the dip between Scafell Pike and Scafell (from the web images/maps). We're not into stuff which pushes us out of our comfort zone so will turn back if its too much.
i've just purchased crampons and new ice axes as i couldn't find my old ice axe, and loaded up for winter weather. Also have several OS maps; proper GPS and shelter.

we'll only do the one long walk per day. was a toss up between Helvellyn and Scafell Pike.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:23:39, 08/04/19 »
I would be tempted to ascend Scafell Pike by the route described by Skip.

For a variation on the way back, and if you have the time and the legs, why not return over Esk Pike and Bowfell and prolong the pleasure?

Regarding Scafell - the direct route up Broad Stand is not for the faint hearted - frightened the life out of me. Rock climbing territory.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

stut4

« Reply #11 on: 13:14:50, 08/04/19 »
thank you for the comment.
i've just found a video on youtube showing Broad Stand - most definitely not my cup of tea! :)
i'm using the OS Maps 3d map and will either do as you suggest, or decent via the gulley between SP and Simmonds Knott - down into the valley that way. will see what the weather holds on Wednesday before committing.
thank you everyone for the comments -most helpful. 

stut4

« Reply #12 on: 13:42:26, 08/04/19 »
this was the route i was thinking, but may adjust over next 48 hours.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/3169521/stut4-scarfell-circle [nofollow]
ps - i'm sure most of you have access to a decent map, but i was blown away at how good OS 3d maps are if you subscribe. Gets a really good idea of the gradients involved better than Google earth.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:59:23, 08/04/19 »
i'm sure most of you have access to a decent map, but i was blown away at how good OS 3d maps are if you subscribe. Gets a really good idea of the gradients involved better than Google earth.

That's useful, don't suppose I could be cheeky and ask for a screenshot? I already used up my os free trial (to download a route if I recall correctly) and never looked at the 3D imagery. Hallin Fell would be ideal as it's about as steep as I like wet grassy paths so if I could see that in the imagery I'd get it.
« Last Edit: 14:04:11, 08/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

stut4

« Reply #14 on: 14:05:18, 08/04/19 »
i'm unable to upload here, but have uploaded to dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4hh6bkrvqv58t8/scafell%20pdf.pdf?dl=0 [nofollow]

it wont print in this form - visual only. well worth the c.£4 per month for premium or £25 annual cost.

ps - its fully possible to zoom in/out and look at it from different compass bearings.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy