Author Topic: The Fantastic Fairfield Horseshoe report  (Read 4779 times)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

lyon01

Re: The Fantastic Fairfield Horseshoe report
« Reply #16 on: 13:35:48, 09/04/15 »
Hi Henry,
Can I just ask, or can anyone else advise as to how boggy the ground is in places? I've read a couple of reports that suggest it is pretty bad in places and that gaters are advised. I'm doing the horsehoe on Saturday and I suspect my 5 yr old £25 Karrimor Boots, which to be fair have stood me in good stead up until now, wouldn't stand up to that. I might invest in some sealskin type socks if thats the case, although I've seen mixed reviews on these they are probably worth a shot
Thanks

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:37:21, 09/04/15 »
If you're referring to the Kentmere round;  the wet bits are really between Shipman knotts and Harter Fell.  I suppose the worst being on the higher parts of Kentmere fell and on the way between there and Harter.  IMO though it never really gets THAT bad.  It's not like Armboth Fell or out..

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:45:38, 09/04/15 »
If you mean the Kentmere Horseshoe, I did it on Wed and there was only a couple of bits where I found myself diverting from the main path to get a drier path round.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:25:13, 09/04/15 »
Lyon01, I've not done the Kentmere round. I wouldn't describe any region of the Fairfield Horseshoe as marshy but I did it just over a month ago. A good method of checking marshy ground is to buy a Harvey map. Marshy terrain is indicated by a light blue shading. Hope this helps.

lyon01

« Reply #20 on: 22:59:12, 09/04/15 »
Thanks for the replies. It was the fairfield horseshoe I was on about. I'd definately read somewhere a report of it being pretty boggy in places but it obviously cant be too bad. I've actually got a full set of harvey maps for the lakes so I'll have a proper look at the map tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:28:00, 09/04/15 »
Your welcome lyon01. There was snow the weekend before I walked which would have meant the ground would have been harder. On second thoughts, at the start of the walk before low pike, the ground was slightly damp but nothing seriously marshy like high seat. Enjoy the walk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy