Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 4410 times)

jontea

• Veteran Member
Advice please
« on: 11:07:42, 28/03/15 »

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on a walk I'd like to do with my wife. To be fair, unlike myself she is not a hill walker, and doesn't do scrambles, she is still recovering from a disc problem in her back from last year, but is fully mobile again now but doesn't want to push herself too much.
We both love the Lakes for different reasons. My wife loves the views from a small flat walk or from a tearoom !!!
I on the other hand love just getting up on top of the fells, and never happier than when bagging a Wainwright  :D  so most of my walking is with some of you peeps or solo, but.............

We are going to be in Ambleside for a couple of days next week for my birthday, and I would really like to bag a fell I've not done yet, with her. Something easy, short and  without scrambling involved, is what I'm looking for, and not too far from Ambleside.
She has done Cat Bells, apart from the little scramble near the top  :-[  so I've come up with this little feller Loughrigg Fell.

What do you think guys, or do you have a better suggestion ?  :)

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: 12:08:05, 28/03/15 »
Good choice O0   Loughrigg terrace is not be missed, the climb to the summit from there is steepish but is mostly on a stone pitched path. Consider extending the walk by continuing on to Todd Crag for its view of Windermere and descend to the road near Miller Bridge.  :)
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

Pura Vida

« Reply #2 on: 12:20:24, 28/03/15 »
It's a good walk. Good value for little effort. However it will also test your Nav skills. Lots of lump, bumps, tracks to lead you astray. Enjoy.
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:33:40, 28/03/15 »
As others have said good choice the views from the top on a clear day are lovely.

I would go anti-clockwise so that the up is slightly steeper than the down which, when my back is complaining, is easier.

Pura Vida

« Reply #4 on: 12:40:04, 28/03/15 »
Orrest Head, west of Windermere is also good value for little effort.

Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:45:03, 28/03/15 »
The track to the summit from the Terrace is, as people suggest, quite steep if your wife has back issues, you know her best.  The approach from the SW starting from Tarn Foot is similar so if you feel she is not up to the path from the Terrace do not consider this as an alternative.  The gentlest route is to approach from Miller Brow.
Solvitur Ambulando

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:58:41, 29/03/15 »
Good choice O0   Loughrigg terrace is not be missed, the climb to the summit from there is steepish but is mostly on a stone pitched path. Consider extending the walk by continuing on to Todd Crag for its view of Windermere and descend to the road near Miller Bridge.  :)
Thanks Brandywell for you comments, think 3 miles will be enough for my wife so I would be happy to take just one summit and head back down, but yes I'm sure the views out over Windermere are stunning from Todd Crag  O0   

It's a good walk. Good value for little effort. However it will also test your Nav skills. Lots of lump, bumps, tracks to lead you astray. Enjoy.
I do like a good nav challenge  ;)

As others have said good choice the views from the top on a clear day are lovely.

I would go anti-clockwise so that the up is slightly steeper than the down which, when my back is complaining, is easier.

Yeah I was thinking anti-clockwise Ridge, I would rather her have the hardest part first, just for the sake of my ear drums!!!  :D 

Orrest Head, west of Windermere is also good value for little effort.

I was thinking along the lines of Wainwright's, but thanks for the option  O0 

The track to the summit from the Terrace is, as people suggest, quite steep if your wife has back issues, you know her best.  The approach from the SW starting from Tarn Foot is similar so if you feel she is not up to the path from the Terrace do not consider this as an alternative.  The gentlest route is to approach from Miller Brow.

Thanks ninthace, I've noted your comments, again from Millers Brow the walk would be a bit longer, I know it doesn't sound much a mile here and there to you or I, but to my wife it's enough to put her off the walk altogether.

It sounds from what you guys have said, that Loughrigg Fell is a good choice, and thanks for posting, much appreciated  O0 
I will put a post in here on our return, just to let you all know if I got her up there.

Plan B will be to walk Rydal Water or Grasmere, and yes probably a tearoom in Grasmere  ::)    

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:15:58, 29/03/15 »
Plan B will be to walk Rydal Water or Grasmere, and yes probably a tearoom in Grasmere  ::) 
If you are still asking for advice then Baldry's in Grasmere is deemed acceptable by Mrs Ridge who has very high standards when it comes to tea and cake.

Almost across the road from Cotswolds too should you need to drop in.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:34:15, 29/03/15 »
I have got a similar problem to you as my partner is recovering from breaking three bones in her leg and gradually starting to get to get a bit of mobility.

One of my fave easy walks in the Ambleside area is in the Tilberthwaite area, close proximity to the road with a flatish approach there are a series of mega impressive abandoned slate mines. I often use them for bad weather alternatives but they would be perfect for kiddy walks or for someone recovering from an injury.

For starters have a look at Cathedral and Hodge Close....

Have a look here at one of my old TR's for some photos-http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=25535.0

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:42:37, 29/03/15 »
Wansfell from Ambleside could be another option; Great views of Windermere. To there and back would be approx 3 miles. I could also recommend a short detour to Stock Ghyll Force

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:48:27, 04/04/15 »
Hi guys, just thought I should let you know my wife made it up Loughrigg Fell yyyeeaahh

As you'll know, it was a beautiful day last Thursday, and we had a lovely afternoon climbing the fell in warm weather. Just taking our time, "it's not a race" I'd tell her, "just take your time, we have all afternoon"

Once again thanks to those who gave advice about this fell, which all helped to make this a wonderful birthday memory

Taking a break on Loughrigg Terrace

Yes it was a steep climb up, and hard work for her. But seeing the many people climbing up and coming back down, families with small kids, and walkers of all sizes having a go, spurred her on.

Rewarded with a view of the snow capped Langdales

I got my wish, which was to bag a Wainwright with my wife on my birthday ha ha  O0  we sat on the hillside eating a delicious ham salad sandwich each from the Apple Pie Cafe in Ambleside, watching training jets roar through the valley over Grasmere.
It doesn't get much better than that.

My wife was happy to return the same way as we had climbed up, especially so when nearly every walker did indeed go back that same way. But I knew that descent would give her back and knee problems, plus I like circular routes. The weather was good and there was no nav issues, but yes there is a lot of little hills around what is quite a large area with many paths shooting off in all directions, so I did feel a bit of pressure to get it right, and drop down in the right place, without adding unnecessary mileage.

Going the right way, and taking the views in

A quick stop at Rydal Cave before heading back to the car. It was just enough for her to manage and still enjoy the day, which is what it's all about, very proud of her for having a go, as at times last summer she couldn't walk 50m flat!!! so she's come a long way since then

Instagram  jontea62

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:38:41, 05/04/15 »
Great stuff Jon and well done to your wife for making your birthday and bagging the fell.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:29:10, 05/04/15 »
Looks like a good  day was had by all, glad it worked out.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:41:05, 05/04/15 »
Brilliant report, really pleased you had a good time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:34:00, 05/04/15 »
She'll be on forum meets soon ☺. Great achievement Jon.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy