Author Topic: Sharp Edge  (Read 4916 times)

redeye

• Veteran Member
Sharp Edge
« on: 21:37:53, 14/09/09 »
Had a great couple of days starting on Friday where we decided that the weather situation was perfect for going up to Blencathra via Sharp Edge. What a great way to spend a Friday, beats work hands down. O0 Well i thought it was quite easy without sounding big headed!! I know my limits and we could always go the straight forward way. I don't mean easy peasy as in I could do it with my eyes shut, just that the weather was so good it made it that much more relaxing. I'd never do it in the wind, thats for sure. Anyway a great day in perfect conditions. Here's a few pics.

The wife making her way across the edge

Halfway there

A look back at what we have done so far

Playing it safe on the last bit of ridge before the final scramble up

View from the top

The perfect place for a picnic

What can I say ;D

Its the only way to get down ;D
What a way to spend a Friday O0

In The Shadow

Re: Sharp Edge
« Reply #1 on: 22:04:52, 14/09/09 »
I knew this would be up here soon. Looks like a good day for it.
Why do I always think about the adventures of the famous five when I read your reports?
It could them dodgy shorts I suppose.  ;D

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: 23:32:39, 14/09/09 »
Looks like you had a good weather day  8)

Nice photo's

rayf52

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:52:29, 15/09/09 »
Had a great couple of days starting on Friday where we decided that the weather situation was perfect for going up to Blencathra via Sharp Edge. What a great way to spend a Friday, beats work hands down. O0 Well i thought it was quite easy without sounding big headed!! I know my limits and we could always go the straight forward way. I don't mean easy peasy as in I could do it with my eyes shut, just that the weather was so good it made it that much more relaxing. I'd never do it in the wind, thats for sure. Anyway a great day in perfect conditions. Here's a few pics.

The wife making her way across the edge

Halfway there

A look back at what we have done so far

Playing it safe on the last bit of ridge before the final scramble up

View from the top

The perfect place for a picnic

What can I say ;D

Its the only way to get down ;D
What a way to spend a Friday O0

good photos  O0 O0 have you done the crib goch route on snowdon if yes how does it compare to sharp edge  :)

Arenig

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:09:00, 15/09/09 »
good photos  O0 O0 have you done the crib goch route on snowdon if yes how does it compare to sharp edge  :)

Hiya ray, Sharp Edge, IMHO isn't in the same league as Crib Goch. But there again as a born and bred Welshman I’m bound to say that aren’t I and I admit to being slightly bias too.  :coolsmiley:

BTW great pictures redeye  O0
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:14:38, 15/09/09 »
Ray,
No I haven't done the crib. I'm not too sure wether I would. To me sharp edge was exhilarating and very relaxing. We never felt in any sort of danger although doing these ridge walks is more dangerous than just walking up and down the paths. The weather was perfect which made it unnervy for me. Crib is of course a lot longer and to me it just seems very much harder.  Anyway in answer to your question, i wouldn't really know how much more difficult it is if at all. There was an awful lot of people up there on Sunday though.
Cheers

Fran

« Reply #6 on: 19:25:59, 15/09/09 »
What gorgeous pictures! Sharp edge never dissapoints, not sure id want to do it in snowy and icey conditions though!
Little Miss Hillbilly

rayf52

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:39:28, 15/09/09 »
Ray,
No I haven't done the crib. I'm not too sure wether I would. To me sharp edge was exhilarating and very relaxing. We never felt in any sort of danger although doing these ridge walks is more dangerous than just walking up and down the paths. The weather was perfect which made it unnervy for me. Crib is of course a lot longer and to me it just seems very much harder.  Anyway in answer to your question, i wouldn't really know how much more difficult it is if at all. There was an awful lot of people up there on Sunday though.
Cheers
cheers redeye i am the opposite doing crib goch and not sharp edge must admit though crib goch makes striding edge look like a motorway ;D ;D

Walking Mummy

« Reply #8 on: 21:31:32, 15/09/09 »
Looks like you had a great day weatherwise and you looked like you had so much fun.

Great photos and report. 

WM
www.thats-perfect.co.uk - the perfect advertising solutions for you!

the hills have eyes

« Reply #9 on: 11:39:41, 16/09/09 »
wow redeyes looks like you had a great day, you should have taken a paint brush :)

the hills have eyes

« Reply #10 on: 12:01:10, 16/09/09 »
sorry redeyes forgot to thank you for the kind infomatoin you gave me when at a wine bar in  keswick after a long day on the tops  last  may! cheers again, ps good luck in austraila

Jackie1981

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:59:43, 16/09/09 »
Great pics!  O0

On the bit where you and your wife were sat enjoying your picnic, was this part only accessible via Sharp Edge?  Gorgeous views but I'm not experienced at ridge walks so would want to come via an easier route.

In The Shadow

« Reply #12 on: 15:24:51, 16/09/09 »
Great pics!  O0

On the bit where you and your wife were sat enjoying your picnic, was this part only accessible via Sharp Edge?  Gorgeous views but I'm not experienced at ridge walks so would want to come via an easier route.

What you have to ask yourself is, was he acually there at all. As previously hinted by The Hills have eyes, Redeyes is an expert with the paint brush you know.  :-X O0

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:31:19, 16/09/09 »
Great pics!  O0

If you look at the first pic with the lake/tarn, you can see the path going off to the left. That is the more straight forward route to the top.
Glad you like the pictures
Cheers

In The Shadow

« Reply #14 on: 10:52:49, 18/09/09 »
sorry redeyes forgot to thank you for the kind infomatoin you gave me when at a wine bar in  keswick after a long day on the tops  last  may! cheers again, ps good luck in austraila
Do you spend much time in the lakes mate? Maybe we could meet up for a strole.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy