Author Topic: [TR] Helvellyn and its edges in the snow.  (Read 4956 times)

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] Helvellyn and its edges in the snow.
« Reply #15 on: 10:24:30, 02/03/10 »
Lauren
I am sure everybody here has made some daft mistake at sometime, the important thing is to learn by that mistake, and then get on with life. Don't be put off walking, just make sure you are well prepared for the circumstances.

If you get up to 25 posts you can see the Meet-up section of this forum so you can join a walk with others from here.
Welcome to the forum.
Paul

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:33:32, 02/03/10 »
Stunning pictures, looks like a great day

Hello, and yes I am very much aware of the stupidness !! And how lucky we were to come across you guys when we did !  Thank you so much for all your help.   :-[ :-[

Lauren

Welcome to the forum, do stick around, we've all done stupid things at one time or another don't beat your self up over it.

Ridge

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:54:26, 02/03/10 »
Ditto all of that in the last three posts.

I'm pleased you found the report, I hope you won't be too offended by some of the comments above not to stick around for a while, it is actually a very friendly and welcoming place!

It sounded like you and Chris get out onto the fells quite a bit, so i'm sure you'd like it on here and would have plenty to contribute.
There's also a vast body of knowledge on here, I learn things all the time from these good people, and am constantly inspired with new places to go and things to try.

Cheers,

Joe

solvitur ambulando

Levans

« Reply #18 on: 11:58:37, 02/03/10 »
I agree that it's deceptively easy to find yourself in a situation where you feel out of your depth, so as others have said; try not to be too hard on yourself and don't let it put you off.

We were just glad that we could help you both get down safe, and I suppose it made the descent a bit more interesting too :)

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:03:53, 02/03/10 »
(Hey-up Leon!)

Something I'd forgotten, the last little bit of excitement of the day - after night had fallen and we were getting stuck into the beer (or, at least, Gareth and I were), we saw some flashing blue lights coming up the track from Glenridding.  It was the MRT.
They zoomed past the barn in their couple of landrovers and disappeared from view, to re-appear an hour or so later.  I assume they had either met someone making their own way down off the hill, or had been stood-down.
I must remember to have a look at the on-line log.
solvitur ambulando

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:08:53, 02/03/10 »
Scrub that, it's here:

http://www.mountainrescue.org.uk/news/2010_015/

I guess what we saw was the team being 'deployed onto the fell'.

There's a very good chance we passed the 5 rescuees as we were on our way off Striding Edge...
solvitur ambulando

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:10:14, 02/03/10 »
Ditto all of that in the last three posts.

I'm pleased you found the report, I hope you won't be too offended by some of the comments above not to stick around for a while, it is actually a very friendly and welcoming place!

It sounded like you and Chris get out onto the fells quite a bit, so i'm sure you'd like it on here and would have plenty to contribute.
There's also a vast body of knowledge on here, I learn things all the time from these good people, and am constantly inspired with new places to go and things to try.

Cheers,

Joe

And ditto to that too.

Well done to you and your pals Joe for giving the right advice and then assisting Lauren and Chris back along the Edge. And well done to Lauren and Chris for accepting the advice and offer of help, not everyone would have had the character to do that - I met one on Sharp Edge once!

Hopefully the experience will be a positive one for all concerned - new knowledge gained, new experiences shared.

I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

craftlau

« Reply #22 on: 14:28:57, 02/03/10 »
 Great day out and awesome pictures ! Nice report  O0
Laura
The respect for  the mountain and knowing your  own power will save your life!

Al plus boots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:55:05, 02/03/10 »
 O0  A great report on a fantastic walk (expedition). I liked the photos too...
'Love Life. Live Life'

Graeme C

« Reply #24 on: 19:08:20, 02/03/10 »
hiya lauren !
you and your friend chris will be well famous on this site for some time to come for errrrrr............. your unfortunate little hike up Helvellyn in those amazing conditions .
like to think you learned some important lessons ?? i sure have and ive never been up there yet !!

Milwardinho The Snowman

« Reply #25 on: 19:46:29, 02/03/10 »
i to was there, what a great weekend, really enjoyed the pub!!!!

Chunk "your gonna stay with me now slough"
Slough "i love you chunk
Chunks mum "oh no im not havin that disgusting thing in our house"

Joe then laughs so much his legs start violently trembling then falls in a stream. epic!

Ps - I build snowmen fo cash!!!

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:05:47, 02/03/10 »
Hello Milly.

I thought you'd 'retired from mountaineering' ?

solvitur ambulando

cragster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:24:42, 02/03/10 »
Nice report and pictures O0

My Brother was up there a few years back in winter when it was covered in snow and ice, they had just done Striding edge and were making there way up the last bit onto Helvellyn when they came across a young lad with no crampons or ice axe trying to make his way up the hard icy compacted snow. He was having to jab his fingers into the snow to try and get some kind of purchase and his hands were bleeding throught the effort. My Brother and his mate had to lend him an ice axe and help him to the top.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Milwardinho The Snowman

« Reply #28 on: 21:44:25, 02/03/10 »
my feet are all good now, im back out of retirement from mountains AND football!!!

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:47:06, 02/03/10 »
Well done guys, great walk and must have been very rewarding in the pub later O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy