Author Topic: Benson Knott and Scout Scar  (Read 5475 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Benson Knott and Scout Scar
« on: 19:11:11, 12/01/08 »
At same time as Kidstypike was off on his wanderings on Reston Scar, me and the dogs were on a blatant bagging expedition only a couple of miles South (ish).
target number one was Benson Knott - a HuMP (Hundred metre prominence) hill just outside Kendal. It lies like a mother hen sitting on a nest of drumlins (all drumlins  come in nests..or maybe baskets).
We set off from the parking space identified in a previous thread asking who'd bagged Benson Knott. Anyway, just by the first bridge over the railway heading out of Kendal (second heading in), there's a minor road heading South with spaces for about 6 or 7 cars altogether. far too many for this little hill, anyway.
We braved the mad drivers  on the Appleby road and took a footpath which leads through pastures and very old quarries to the edge of an ash wood. From there the twin peaks (!) of Benson Knott loomed out of the fog.  A very quick bag.
Within half an hour I was allowing the dogs to watch me eat my lunch in the car park on the road to Underbarrow, out of kendal. (I did get a bit lost in Kendal)
And so, me and the poooches bagged another HuMP (Heslington Barrows - or the 235 metre top immediately North of the mushroom shelter-thingy, and two wainwright outliers - Scout Scar and Cunswick Fell. 
Kidstypike's website is eloquent enough about these last hills and for details, have a look at his website. There's not much I can say by way of adding any value to what he says, except to say that, this is a very beautiful escarpment and should be visited by everybody before they die. (Not, hopefully, immediately before they die given the need to drive down the M6 afterwards)
Its all very easy and civilised and a cracking promenade on short turf with magical views into the Lake District - and all without much effort. I bet its a trove of wild flowers in spring time.
It would be a delightful stroll on an evening in high summer. Do it on the way home from Coniston Old Man or something - followed by a bag of Kendal fish and chips.
Smashing.
Oh, and the gorse is starting to flower. Gorse is a plant which just doesnt care what time of year it is, if it wants to flower, it'll flower.  Nice to see flowers in mid January. 
Anyway - four ticks for not too much effort - kerching kerching kerching kerching (thats the ticks going into the bag....beats train spotting anyway...)
« Last Edit: 21:03:35, 12/01/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy