Author Topic: Hikeing boots  (Read 3022 times)

Andy978

Hikeing boots
« on: 21:44:19, 03/12/18 »
Hi I have a pair of trespass boots and working fine  not an problem so what is the question I here

As say work fin with insole and blister socks all's good cost 49 pound  but will I get better is I payed out mour like 100 180 ect can you help
Andy

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Hikeing boots
« Reply #1 on: 22:51:25, 03/12/18 »
Hi I have a pair of trespass boots and working fine  not an problem so what is the question I here

As say work fin with insole and blister socks all's good cost 49 pound  but will I get better is I payed out mour like 100 180 ect can you help
Andy

If they 'work' fine for you, don't give you any pain, don't give you blisters, are comfortable all day, keep your feet dry, then you won't find any 'better' boots at any price.

Maggot

« Reply #2 on: 23:23:21, 03/12/18 »

Andy

Yes

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:00:56, 04/12/18 »
I bought a pair of 'cheap' hiking boots from Decathlon (less than £50) in the summer and they are comfortable as well. They are not really fully waterproof, ok in light rain but not in heavy and prolonged, but they are fine in every other way. Even though I've walked a long way in them (e.g. 140 miles in the Pyrenees over all sorts of terrains) they show hardly any signs of wear. I still need a more robust and waterproof boot however, I really wouldn't want to trust them in really bad winter weather, wet mud, cows poo and so on but a good buy for me nevertheless!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:26:41, 04/12/18 »

Andy

Comfortable and cheap. What 'better' do you hope for?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:05:09, 06/12/18 »
After much thinking and mulling over my boots problem (they leak!) I have decided to buy a new pair.

I am considering a pair of Lowa Renegades.

Has anyone on the forum experience of this model of boots? What do you think?

Maggot

« Reply #6 on: 16:35:15, 06/12/18 »
After much thinking and mulling over my boots problem (they leak!) I have decided to buy a new pair.

Someone has to say it..............you are spending too little money and expecting too much from stuff.

No boots are fully and completely 'waterproof', except my wellie option.

You are going to replace a pair of £50ish pair of boots with a pair that are going to be roughly double that cost.  To be honest you are going to have to quadruple that money to get some reliable  waterproofish boots.  You need the one piece leather comfort of some Scarpa SL3s, they will outlive you too.

As Sheldon used to say, Cheap, Light, Strong- pick any two. 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:46:51, 06/12/18 »
You are going to replace a pair of £50ish pair of boots with a pair that are going to be roughly double that cost.  To be honest you are going to have to quadruple that money to get some reliable  waterproofish boots.   

Have to disagree with that theory I'm afraid.  I've got a pair of £25 Gelert leather boots which have proved to me they are fully waterproof  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:57:09, 06/12/18 »
Agree with you Mel, no need to spend around £200 to get waterproof boots  O0
Where there's a will ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:25:59, 06/12/18 »

They're comfy trail boots. Good for wider feet. Goretex liner works well out of the box. Mine haven't failed yet.

They're not the best design to be waterproof long term though. They're made up of a quite a lot of pieces of leather so lots of seams and stitching and they're not full-grain but rather nubuck. I've waxed mine which helps but you cannot turn nubuck into full-grain. It looks a lot like it, is a lot more waterproof than unwaxed nubuck but it's still not as waterproof as full grain leather. That top layer of skin has the most waterproof properties.

So they're a step up from fabric in that at least you can wax them when the goretex liner fails. But if I were after boots to stay waterproof for the longest I'd go for boots made from a single piece of full grain leather.

Maggot

« Reply #10 on: 19:32:23, 06/12/18 »
Agree with you Mel, no need to spend around £200 to get waterproof boots  O0

But why keep spending £50 a time on two or three or four pairs of boots, when spending £150-£200 once will solve someones boot woes for the rest of their life?  Two or three pairs of £50 boots in a year suggests that a serious mistake has been made here.

You can keep reproofing and reproofing and reproofing, but you are fighting an ever losing battle.  Boots made with an alleged liner when waterproofed with something that decently seals the boot effectively negates the waterproof liner, it's like wearing a nice Goretex coat and putting an anorak over it.  You need to go for something leather, one piece and sturdy or get used to wet feet.

A couple of you have said you are having success with leather boots for tuppence, but you are really comparing a Range Rover with a Fiat Panda 4x4.

Buy cheap, buy twice  ???    

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:07:17, 06/12/18 »
I don't though.  My £100'ish boots last until their sole is worn down, after that they're binned.  The point Mel and I are making is that you don't need to spend £200 just to get a reliable waterproof boot  O0
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:29:10, 06/12/18 »
My current walking boots were £79 .  I have done over 2000 miles in them. Still comfy, still waterproof. O0

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:10:26, 06/12/18 »

Someone has to say it..............you are spending too little money and expecting too much from stuff.

No boots are fully and completely 'waterproof', except my wellie option.

You are going to replace a pair of £50ish pair of boots with a pair that are going to be roughly double that cost.  To be honest you are going to have to quadruple that money to get some reliable  waterproofish boots.  You need the one piece leather comfort of some Scarpa SL3s, they will outlive you too.

As Sheldon used to say, Cheap, Light, Strong- pick any two.

I’ve worn out several pairs of Scarpa, just via sheer mileage and completely wearing through the soles.

Obviously I could have extended life a fair amount by getting them re-soled at right time...but each resoling takes some leather away so they would go at some point..or the constant flexing caused by usage would eventually crack the leather outer.

Don’t see how any boot...given high mile-age will last for life.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:29:00, 06/12/18 »
As a rule I do not want to pay more than £100 but if the right 'deal came along I might up it? The Renegades caught my eye because they are advertised at £170 but I know where I can get them for £127, its tempting! As an older hiker I don't want or need a boot that will last me years, I might have a year or two left to hike, it certainly can't be that long!?

The other matter which I'm reluctant to admit, but will anyway is, that even I like to spend out just once in a while! I rarely buy anything between hikes, other than essentials, but sometimes the 'urge' to purchase gets the better of me. My wife and I have minimised our spending since that date and year that we dare not mention. Its been a good financial move, my 'cut' means that when hiking its more money for meals out, fine wine and beer. Plus, as we don't 'do' the Christmas spending routine this keeps even more money in our pockets for what we really like, experiences! For me, I want comfortable and waterproof boots because I still have a couple of long hikes to do on my bucket list!

My failing is that I keep hoping that one day I'll find the perfect boot, the Holy Grail model, one that is supremely comfortable (Salomon Quest and Keen Targee are just two I like) where I can walk for days without a twinge, blister or a black toenail and is waterproof at the same time (Berghaus Superlights, only my present ones leaked, previous ones didn't) maybe I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that the Renegades might do both?

My cheepos from Decathlon are good for the summer and yesterday I found out that they are pretty good for running off road as well. Everywhere was muddy and wet, so to avoid wet feet I left my trainers at home and used the boots. A good decision!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy