Author Topic: Kungsleden Trail  (Read 2357 times)

mow1701

Kungsleden Trail
« on: 14:37:21, 11/09/19 »
If you are used to trails in the UK(Pennine Way, Cape Wrath etc) then you need to know that the conditions underfoot are hard. The Kungsleden in large part feels like a line drawn across rocks/ boulder fields and tree routes for many miles or someone poured all the rocks/ boulders on the trail. In these sections no two strides are the same and you spend a lot of time looking at your boots rather than the view. If you look up at the view in these sections you could find yourself getting badly hurt.(I met a Englishman who lives in Sweden who said once instead of stopping and orientating himself he tried to walk and orientate through a boulder field - consequently he fell badly and concussed himself) I actually felt like putting pictures on my boots. As a result you do not get a constant speed of progress or stride as with UK trails(my experience of UK trails). That all said I enjoyed the experience and certainly wouldn't want to put anybody off.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Kungsleden Trail
« Reply #1 on: 17:44:24, 11/09/19 »
Which bits did you walk? I've done some of it from Saltoluokta to Kvikkjokk and didn't find that section at all hard. There was much harder walking in Sarek NP. It's just such a fantastic huge area, I really love it.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:04:31, 12/09/19 »
Hello, A few years ago my daughter and a friend did a ten day trip on the Kungsleden Trail from the Southern end in February on skis.
Of course all the terrain was under the white blanket.  Trail was well marked with posts and with on each evening a secure wee hut with a wood burning stove.
I guess it depends upon which section of the Trail is done in summer conditions perhaps.

KimE

« Reply #3 on: 22:43:14, 10/10/19 »
Yes the part between Alesjaure and Sälka are rocky in particular the Tjäktja pass. If you are used to walking in terrain you can both look ahead and walk, some people have city feets.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:27:23, 11/10/19 »
Did it in 1978 my second LDP after the Pennine Way in 1974.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:07:28, 17/02/20 »
I hiked the entire Kungsleden northbound (Hemavan to Abisko) in 2015 and have to respectfully disagree with OP on the difficulty. I didn't find it a very tough walk at all, but it's incredibly beautiful!

When I hiked it, I think I was very lucky with the conditions. Although I started on 1st July, there was still a lot of snow around, which made it more scenic. It was also a lemming year, so there were tons of lemmings and predators that hunt them. I saw stoats, many short-eared owls and I had arctic foxes near my tent! I even saw a snowy owl!

I have a long walk report with many pictures in my signature link.
https://www.hikingbirdman.com/kungsleden/

« Last Edit: 10:14:25, 17/02/20 by Birdman »
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy