Author Topic: I need advice from farmer and police harrasment.  (Read 8034 times)

Roger

Re: I need advice from farmer and police harrasment.
« Reply #75 on: 18:51:43, 12/12/19 »
I've just read the whole thread and maybe I've missed it, but how did the police know where the OP lived.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 19:35:29, 12/12/19 »
I've just read the whole thread and maybe I've missed it, but how did the police know where the OP lived.
The OP said he pointed out his house to the gamekeeper who challenged him.

The change of use from AG to B1/2 was done in 2016 and considering there is a business that sells/restores very expensive cars and a livery yard I am not surprised they check out any strange activity at night.Rural crime is a real problem and this might be the reason the police have taken an interest in the OP's activities.The numerous websites and Twitter account that have been created about this farm and estate could possibly be considered as stalking as they provide photos and links to the numerous businesses on the estate which are completely irrelevant to the footpath issue.Could this be a creative way of promoting the estate?

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 07:57:48, 13/12/19 »
A local person regularly walking at night might actually deter criminals. Perhaps the landowner should consider him an asset.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 11:51:17, 13/12/19 »
A local person regularly walking at night might actually deter criminals. Perhaps the landowner should consider him an asset.
Well said, Jac. A point of view not often recognised because of the traditional attitude of landowners that all, others than themselves, are wrong doers.

A greater presence in the countryside of the law abiding, not only increases the chance of crime being witnessed, therefore the greater chance of bearing witness. A point singularly absent from the 2012 CLA policy on Access. There are plenty of electronic devices advertised in the the
CLA's monthly rag to ambush the visitor but noticeably no means to link visitor to occupier or the incentive to encourage a partnership.
Sadly this cannot happen until the CLA admit to the Corruption of the Definitive map and openly apologise for the part past landowners and their minions have played.

Is this connected with this topic? There are two glaring examples one just east of Eastlands Farm and another 100yds west of the farm. On would resolve a safety issue and both would substantially improve continuity of way and quality.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

thomasdevon

« Reply #79 on: 12:44:11, 13/12/19 »

Call me eccentric but I don't personally think that going out alone at night onto someone else's land with a sick dog to encounter criminals is a good idea.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 13:54:37, 13/12/19 »
I think Jac was referring to a person walking at night not particularly this individual.
But lets look a scenario that really happened;
A bit over 10 years ago, when first taking an interest in the problems of the corruption of the DM, I was watching Midland News and a rather daring robbery of large country house was reported. A significant amount of important antiques were stolen, the thieves must have manage to park a vehicle close to the Manor House, during the time that the house was unoccupied. I had just acquired enough digital mapping to be able to locate the area on OS explorer.

It was immediately clear that this was an area that fell well below the nation average of RoWs/ Km.squ, but there was clearly a track that would give the thieves an off road and hidden place to park a vehicle and approach the Manor House from a secretive direction. It was also clear that the track in question, could well have been part of an access network, used by walkers, cyclists or equestrians. At the time I did not have access to the historical maps so did not have the sort of understanding time and study have given me now.

The farm watch schemes and other rural security initiatives have persistently failed to recognition the fact the criminal fraternity is a very small percentage of people. Land snobbery increases the vulnerability of remote dwellings, because the thieves see them as isolated targets. It is the ability of more people to provide information in the event of a crime that is totally untapped.
BWW

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: 14:16:44, 13/12/19 »
Call me eccentric but I don't personally think that going out alone at night onto someone else's land with a sick dog to encounter criminals is a good idea.

LOL  I was not suggesting that the OP (or anyone else for that matter) should purposely wander the PRoWs at night with or without dogs sick or otherwise with express intention of encountering criminals. Only that someone doing so might notice unusual activity or a criminals seeing torchlight might think better of whatever nefarious action they had intended.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 16:06:36, 14/12/19 »
Remkinds me of a long distance walk of 45 miles that a pal and myself did some years ago. It meant walking overnight and we used head torches. Around 11pm in the dark we arrived at a stile in a fence which surrounded a quite remote bungalow. Being as quiet as we could because the faint path came to another stile and short path which passed through the garden to an access track.A dog inside the property started barking and out came a very arrogent and I suspect intoxicated guy.  he started shouting asking what we were doing. I answered that we on a long distance walk and appologised for disturbing them. He shouted that if we came through again at night, he'd knock our heads off.I took objection to that and told him that there were no time restriction on a right of way. That made him worse. he was losing it, but i stood my ground. By this time an elderly couple appeared at the door and were telling him to come inside. As we got to the track he turned to go in and I heard him tell his mum that he'd just seen off some prowlers!A couple of days later I explained everything to the area rights of way officer. He said he'd make a visit and speak to them.I did the same walk a year later, the path had been diverted to avoid going through the garden.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 10:38:04, 16/12/19 »
Odd is the word..is the farmer posting those pics to put others off...or are we all being taken for a ride by someone else..
Quote off the facebook page... : Eastlands Park Estate, Warninglid Lane, Lower Beeding, PROW it's terrible walking here.
It would seem that the OP would like to paint this local landowner with the colours of aggressive hostility, who empowers his gamekeeper with the legacy of the 19th century and equips him with a 21st century steed, a quad bike. The question hangs in the air is the OP the author of the attached wesite.

If so it is a little over the top for a simple rant about muddy footpaths, but sadly this is the limit of the usual product of the rural occupier / countryside user divide and is where most Rambler initiatives fail to grasp the cold logic of each individual issue.

If the the OP is indeed the author of the attached wesite/blog he has failed to grasp the full effect this particular example, which shows so much more of the Childish Cult incubated by the country landowners association of  "My land, Respect me as the Lord of the Manor".

The OP should look deeper, a few muddy paths would not move me to protest, but foreseeable risk that contravenes health and safety awareness and sloppy investigation in vetting a planning application would add more punch to a protest blog.

And when these point specifically towards a loophole in a national lobby group's most recent policy on access, then others should be taking note. 
« Last Edit: 10:44:59, 16/12/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 11:20:15, 16/12/19 »
Those muddy roads could even act as an incentive to walk there, could be seen by some as a reall challenge of stamina and the like!

Toxicbunny

« Reply #85 on: 19:44:11, 05/01/20 »
I live in the countryside some farmers are prats. Get in touch with the council regards the rights of way make sure it is a public right of way not permissive. What could be happening is poachers are a massive problem and they could see your torch and dogs and just checking you out. They have no right to obstruct a right of way but there is always one prat that does.  The rights of way at the council to report issues is the first call. Personally I wouldn't walk it that late.

Yorci

« Reply #86 on: 21:55:41, 25/01/20 »
 Visit your local police station  to speak to one of your community officers, or telephone to arrange for an appointment. They will be able to advise you if you are beaching any legislation or at least explain what the issue is. They are probably more able to arbitrate with the farmer, who it seems is concerned over the loss of pheasants he is suffering, as they do suffer heavy financial loss in these areas of their business. Most if not all Neighbourhood Policing Teams are very good at this. I hope you find a solution soon.
We had a similar problem in Welton, East Yorkshire and the farmer agreed to fence off the path, which they have done. Though some pheasants still get through, but the relationship between the estate/farm has always been a good one with walkers.
« Last Edit: 22:00:06, 25/01/20 by Yorci »
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy