Author Topic: How far would you travel?  (Read 2989 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: How far would you travel?
« Reply #15 on: 00:27:32, 16/07/19 »

I would consider a couple of hours each way my limit now as, like Mel, I find the drive home tiring after a walk.
Living in the middle of Devon I can get to north or south coasts, Dartmoor, Blackdown Hills, Bodmin moor, Exmoor or the Dorset downs easily within that time.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

taxino8

« Reply #16 on: 06:51:43, 16/07/19 »
Two hours or thereabouts is my limit too.
I drive for a living so the last thing I need is more driving.
Fortunately two hours is about what it takes me to get to Borrowdale, which is one of my favourite places to walk.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:13:07, 16/07/19 »
I am lucky to have lots of great walking nearby, namely Yorkshire Dales, North Yorkshire, North York Moors and the Lake District and indeed West Yorkshire. I can drive to virtually any of it in 2 or 2.5 hours plus the same time back. The travel time is what matters, plus the quality of the drive. It is for this last reason I do not visit South Yorkshire or Derbyshire for day walks. I cannot be bothered with the grind of crossing the Leeds/Bradford/Manchester corridor. There are so many incidents on the local motorways, one can never be sure how long a journey will take.

I tend to shorten the drive time in the shorter winter days.

Public transport is too unreliable or time consuming plus, as a person who runs very hot, I like the opportunity of a change of clothes after a walk and somewhere to change.

I will have to have a rethink if I am ever unable to drive though will probably too decrepit to walk at all by then!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:47:35, 16/07/19 »
2.5 hours drive each way is the limit for me, and rarely reached. Similar times for train/bus combination walks.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:46:46, 16/07/19 »
Even though I live in a city it only takes me 20 minutes to get to a wide expanse of walking areas in the countryside. If I want to go further to other equally good areas, I can be near to Petersfield in about 30-40 minutes, the choice then is even greater. I'm also lucky that I can catch a bus to where I want to be and if I want I can also link my start point from a bus to my finish point and use the train.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:44:22, 16/07/19 »
I would consider a couple of hours too long to travel for a days walk, and even that wouldn’t get me into decent walking country from Suffolk anyway! Heading west, we might just get past Kettering in two hours, south just into Kent and north we’d just about reach the north Norfolk coast! So we tend not to go more than about 30-45 mins from home. We have stayed overnight in Norfolk but otherwise the nearest hills are the Peak District which is about 3.5 hours away, so a weekend trip. Some of you don’t know how lucky you are!  :D
Having said that we do have some nice walking areas in Suffolk!

Pitboot

« Reply #21 on: 12:49:56, 16/07/19 »
With so much on the door step we rarely have to travel more than half an hour to get to a new spot. However Mrs P loves a nice rocky beach with cliffs etc, so we can drive up to three hours to get to one from Kendal, it's a drag but we usually avoid weekends and bank holidays, when we are often working anyway.

snaderson

« Reply #22 on: 13:29:16, 16/07/19 »
Wasdale is about as far as I can stomach for a day trip and that takes 2.75hrs or so. Even then, I don't do that more than once or twice a year and prefer to visit that area of the Lakes when I'm staying up there. I figure that the walk has got to take longer than the total travel time.

Mostly I just go to the Peak District as that takes less than an hour to get anywhere (though the train to Grindleford on Saturday took me almost 2 hours door to door [of the Grindleford caff :) ]).

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:15:28, 17/07/19 »
Bigfoot Mike - I meant each way, not a round trip.

Fernman - the distance can vary greatly depending on the road/traffic which is why I am curious about other folks' thoughts on travel time rather than distance.  At present, I travel 7.5 miles to work and it takes me 45 minutes of mostly gridlocked traffic jam into the city.  When I finally move to my new job I'll be travelling about 14 miles to work and it takes me 45 minutes of mostly fast moving main roads. 

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #24 on: 20:39:16, 17/07/19 »
I live in the Chilterns and would happily drive 3 hours to the peak district for a walk.

For me the difficulty is finding time. If I had the time I'd go anywhere I could get there and back and still have enough time for a decent walk.

The further I go the more worthwhile the walk has to be.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:10:11, 17/07/19 »
My drive to work is 28-30 miles depending on the route and it takes me 45 minutes up to 1 hour mainly on country roads. The faster times are usually in school holidays, but that is normally the time for all the roads to be dug up. In extreme winter conditions it has taken 2.5 hours one way. Based on that, I would not want to drive much more than 1.5 to 2 hours each way for a day walk and preferably shorter.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 23:11:11, 17/07/19 »
Because of this thread, I made a note of the mileage and departure/arrival times for my walk today, this was for the first time in my life. In the past I've occasionally made rough guesses at time taken and distance, but otherwise I simply haven't bothered. The walk was in the Oxfordshire part of the Chilterns, which I regard as being at the furthest extreme of how far I will travel for a day walk.  Today's accurate results rather surprised me.

My journey was 37.5 miles, which is more than I imagined it would be, while the time taken was an astounding 1 hour 32 minutes. No, I don't drive slowly, some of it was 70 mph on the M40 and some was on fast A roads. What added to the time was temporary traffic lights on Henley-on-Thames bridge. This town is usually a b*gger to get into (while waiting I vaguely remembered a vow I made two years ago to never come this way again) but today I was in the sort of queue where you move three car lengths, put your handbrake on and switch you engine off.

Naturally I returned by a different route, which is a horrible one full of bends, and this was 36.5 miles. Again I was able to do 70+ on the motorway but it still took 1 hour 7 minutes, because of the evening congestion.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:34:27, 18/07/19 »
Living in the heart of the Peak District, it takes no time at all for me to travel to a lot of the walks I go on.
I also have quite a few routes that I do from home, so at busy times I get to leave the car behind.
There are a few areas of the Peaks that can be awkward to get to/busy with traffic, which might mean up to an hours drive....but that doesn't happen very often.

If I'm travelling further afield, then I guess 2 hours would also be my limit for a day walk.
I've driven to the Lakes a couple of times in the past for a day walk and then returned home the same day. The walks were fab but the long journey home afterwards kinda ruined the days, to be honest.

I prefer to stay over somewhere and make a mini-break out of it O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:06:12, 20/07/19 »
Living on the coast here in NW Wales, to get to the walks that i long to do, takes forward planning.
Last year i drove 112miles to climb Pen Y Fan, just to see what had changed in the 23yrs since my last visit.

Ive even driven to Northumberland to walk sections of the Hadrians wall path, not very far though, due to time constrains, but that was a round trip of well over 400miles to exercise my legs.

I believe if the walk is that good, no distance is too far, but most of my favourite jaunts are Summer events due to the distances involved.

With Snowdonia right on my doorstep, i much prefer to venture to the remoter regions, regions that take considerable effort and energy to get there.

Some years back, i managed to even walk in three separate countries all in the same day.

An epic adventure was when i drove to Llindisfarne of all places, from North Wales, and as Berwick Upon Tweed was not that far, i entered Scotland, parked the car in a nearby laybie, and stretched my legs for the epic return journey home to Cymru.

That was one heck of a daytrip, but with the motorway network north, it was a very long day out, but still achievable for those daft as a brush to try it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:13:46, 20/07/19 »
So after how long after sitting in a car do you feel like you're done with sitting in a car and want to be home?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy