Author Topic: Public road on ordnance survey map  (Read 7964 times)

wooney00

Public road on ordnance survey map
« on: 15:38:26, 27/11/19 »
Hi just signed and ha e pretty basic question.

On an ordnance survey map can you go down country roads that show two black lines which are broken.

I've come across several which are not indicated as footpaths but have several houses down so wo defed if they are classed as a road.

-- -- -- -- --
-- -- -- -- --

Something like that..

Cheers
-- -- -

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Public road on ordnance survey map
« Reply #1 on: 16:00:12, 27/11/19 »
Os usually define every marker on every map.
Given that you have tried your best to replicate what you are describing I can see a few choices, given a bit of leeway for interpreting your replication. A single track railway line, a bridleway or a boundary marker.
The thing about walking based on OS maps is finding out if they are publuc/ permissive rights of way or for private use only. The OS maps whilst truly great guides are not definitive. The local authority usually holds, many publish on the Web, the definitive maps.
Too little, too late, too bad......

wooney00

« Reply #2 on: 16:02:51, 27/11/19 »
It is the two lines but closer together they are roads but not marked in straight lime

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:33:07, 27/11/19 »
If it's two dashed lines it's probably an unfenced minor road. The OS won't show whether it public or private. Assume it's public, if challenged just "Oh sorry didn't realize it was private".

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:41:30, 27/11/19 »
On an ordnance survey map can you go down country roads that show two black lines which are broken.

Yes.

I've come across several which are not indicated as footpaths but have several houses down so wo defed if they are classed as a road.  

Yes, they are classed as a road or track.  If there is no onward path round/beyond the buildings the chances are it could be a driveway or an access road.

Just because it doesn’t have a green dotted or dashed public right of way symbol overlaid on the map doesn’t mean you can’t walk it.

This link might be of use to you:  https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/mapzone/assets/doc/Explorer-25k-Legend-en.pdf

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:27:10, 27/11/19 »
As been said the OS conventional signs/symbols.
In Scotland the double dashed symbols are usually on Estates with access for walkers and bikers unless Estate activities are on-going.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:41:42, 27/11/19 »
The pair of dashed lines usually apply to a road that crosses open moorland or commons where there are no hedges or fences either side.
Compare the photo with the map, which shows the walls of the bridge as solid lines and the remainder as dashed lines.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:42:22, 27/11/19 »
I'm a bit rusty but I'd say if it looks like this you're ok because it's shaded "yellowish" signifying that it's on open access land.

IF it's not shaded (white background) and doesn't have a green dashed line along it or big green spots/diamonds then no, it's a track but not necessarily a public right of way

« Last Edit: 21:06:48, 27/11/19 by Sleepy »

wooney00

« Reply #8 on: 18:57:33, 27/11/19 »
Thanks for the help much appreciated, the main one I came across wasn't a dead end and there was no no entry signs so unless told otherwise I'll give it a go

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:59:45, 27/11/19 »
Thanks for the help much appreciated, the main one I came across wasn't a dead end and there was no no entry signs so unless told otherwise I'll give it a go
O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:08:12, 27/11/19 »
And here, between the road (just above the blue compass symbol) and the top right hand corner - it's outside of the access land so, yes it's a track - BUT it's not necessarily "walkable"

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:52:28, 27/11/19 »
I'm a bit rusty but I'd say if it looks like this you're ok because it's shaded "yellowish" signifying that it's on open access land.

IF it's not shaded (white background) and doesn't have a green dashed line along it or big green spots/diamonds then no, it's a track but not necessarily a public right of way

:crazy2: Bare with me, bloomin' img thingy isn't playing ball

I agree completely with Sleepy. In practice however I can never recall being stopped or challenged walking down such a track.  Of course if there is a sign saying private or such like, then you would be wise to respect it.

Forestry commission land is prime example.
« Last Edit: 21:08:07, 27/11/19 by BuzyG »

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:23:09, 27/11/19 »
Of course, we're probably all on the same page there Buzy  O0

For the purpose of learning though, it's probably best to stick to black and white  ;)

Wooney, have we got the right roads? Or is it still different to anything shown here so far?

wooney00

« Reply #13 on: 22:42:38, 27/11/19 »
Yes it's the double dash next to the number 250 on sleepy's map.

Its worth mentioning that there are about half a dozen houses off one of the main routes I take, so it's probably less likely I'll be stopped. It's a lovely area so a shame to miss out

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:00:11, 27/11/19 »

Here's another example for you... the "Y-Front" shaped track between Thorn Villa Farm and Hilltop Farm.  This is an example of a path/track/road I wouldn't bother with as it's quite obvious they are farm access tracks.  Even though you can see onward paths leading from the farms, they aren't accessible without passing directly through the farm itself.  As this track isn't marked as a public right of way (green markings), nor is it on Access Land (yellowy colour washed area) I wouldn't walk it, firstly because it only leads to the farms and secondly if you look closely, the onward paths are blocked by some sort of boundary or gate or building - indicated by the solid line going across the path (particularly obvious at Hilltop Farm).

To be honest, it can all be a bit trial and error but great fun in the exploring - both on the map and on foot  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy