Author Topic: Montane goes Gore  (Read 2024 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
Re: Montane goes Gore
« Reply #1 on: 13:01:52, 13/07/16 »
I think this leaves Rab as the last bastion of eVent? Unless Montane will still be manufacturing some eVent jackets as well - probably not. I think the commenter on that post hits the nail on the head "I hope they aren't selling out simply because the general public are more aware of Gore, but rather its for technical reasons". I suspect this may well be the case
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:08:57, 15/07/16 »
Montane should have stuck to what they did best, the development of the Pertex fabric.
Goretex eventually breaks down, it takes quite a few years to do so, but the inner PTFE Goretex membrane will eventually lose all its water repellant properties.

Pertex on the other hand, is just a very dense weave of nylon, that does not lose any of its wind proofing water repellant properties, as it operates in a totally different manner to Goretex.

I bet Gore have made Montane an offer they simply cannot refuse, why would a company that has been at the for front of Pertex technology suddenly use Goretex, when Pertex in certain respects, is by far the superior material.

wintonian

« Reply #3 on: 23:24:59, 15/07/16 »
Sadly these days it's not about having a problem and creating a product to solve it.

No it's about having a product and then inventing the problem it's to solve. i.e.  marketing. The product itself is essentially worthless, while it's the marketing that defines the profit margin.

I do love my RaB Bergen though.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:13:25, 16/07/16 »
If i was spending good money on a new waterproof, i would choose Pertex over Goretex any day of the week.
Gortex is fine, when the water repellent coating works efficiently, but lose that repellency, and the fabric soaks up the moisture like a sponge, and it will take ages to dry, unlike Pertex.
Pertex is a more robust material than any garment made from the Gortex fabric, and dries quicker than just about any fabric i know of, and maintains its amazing wind proofing capabilities even when saturated with water.

Marketing i am sure has a lot to do with it, with many potential new customers unsure of the benefits of Pertex over Gortex.

All they see is an attractive jacket in a shop, and Gortex is a big name in the industry, so must be the best waterproof material out there.

It may have been twenty or so years ago, but the situation has moved on considerably since then.

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:50:44, 18/07/16 »
For anyone who was interested, the Gore range is now on Montane's website

https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/range/gore-tex
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:22:23, 19/07/16 »
Having used both, I'm in the Event camp myself.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy