Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 278848 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #345 on: 20:17:30, 10/07/17 »
Very spooky pic.   Did you know the ghost.  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #346 on: 16:50:12, 14/07/17 »
Been lucky with the weather this week:
Exmoor on Monday - near Wimbleball Lake
SWCP on Wednesday - filling in a gap near Hartland Point
Dartmoor today - Great Links Tor, Bleak House & Widgery Cross.
Solvitur Ambulando

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #347 on: 18:09:56, 14/07/17 »
Just got back from three days walking in the fantastic Langdales. Two very hot sunny days and today wasn't bad either.

I'm not sure, but I might have passed April and Beefy going up 'Pike of Blisco' on Thursday.  :-\
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #348 on: 19:31:39, 17/07/17 »
I walked on the South Downs near Lewes today, taking in Cliffe Hill and the hillfort of The Caburn.  A fabulous walk with panoramic views, and high rolling hills enfolding a beautiful valley.  To my mind this is one of the best areas for walking on the downs that's not on the South Downs Way itself. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #349 on: 20:57:19, 17/07/17 »
Never waste a trip! I had a filling fall out over the weekend and the dentist has agreed to put it back at 1030 tomorrow.  The dentist is in Crediton which is just about halfway to Dartmoor from our house so rather than waste the day we will continue on and explore St Thomas Cleave on edge of the National Park before the thunderstorms arrive. Lets hope I still feel like it after my time in the chair - I have a real fear of the drill  :'(
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #350 on: 20:31:02, 25/07/17 »
I walked Thorney Island today, a serene and scenic walk on the Sussex Border Path, beside some of the beautiful creeks of Chichester Harbour.  The island, which is now joined to the mainland, is MOD land and you enter and exit via security gates.  When I pressed the intercom, I was let in without being asked any questions, so they evidently thought I looked harmless! 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #351 on: 22:05:51, 25/07/17 »
Most of my walks during the week are local, after work ones.  After the kak weather we've had just recently and the forecast being alright for tomorrow, I think I'll do a meander along Paull Foreshore.  It's not a very long walk but it's got a bit of everything - river, woodland, salt marsh/mud flats, heathland ... and even a small hill  :)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #352 on: 21:08:46, 26/07/17 »
I took Monday off work to nip up to north Wales.

I'd intended to do a substantial walk in the northern Carneddau but it got curtailed slightly due to a later-than-planned start, too much time gazing at waterfalls and the cloud coming down.

My starting point was Aber Falls waterfall  about two miles south of Abergwyngregyn village. There is a carpark for the falls at grid ref SH 663 720.

I walked to the waterfall, and spent quite a while exploring round the splash pool area. Then I followed a minor path steeply up the east side of the fall. At the top, the valley levels out - it's picturesque, steep-sided, quite sheltered. There I met and chatted to a local walker called Tony.

When I got level with Bera Mawr I swung east up the side of the valley and  walked steeply up to the summit of Llwytmor at 2,785 feet. But by then the cloud had descended.

Tony was in the summit shelter so I decided to walk back down with him. Our route was straightforward heading northwest across the rock-strewn grass until the boundary fence of a felled conifer plantation which we followed to the valley bottom. Sod's law - the sun came out.

From the car park to the waterfall was a mile and a quarter gaining about 450 feet. From the waterfall pool up to Llwytmor was just under two miles and gained another 2100 feet elevation.

All in all, a lot less than I intended to do but a very pleasant walk nonetheless.

Skip

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #353 on: 18:59:46, 27/07/17 »
Once this weather improves, i will be exploring the Northern Carneddau in ernest.
I am a big history buff, and new book in hand, i will be exploring Bwlch Y Ddufaen and surrounding area.

Cannot wait, and i have not been so excited in years.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #354 on: 15:58:50, 28/07/17 »
Just got back from doing a short (4 or 5 miles?) walk from Kelstedge (between Chesterfield and Matlock) to Matlock.

Interesting walk. For about a mile and a half of the route suspect I was walking through fields where the farmer takes pride in "subtly" discouraging walkers. This stretch started just after leaving Shooters Lea farm, crossing over Jaggers lane, footpath near Rushley Lodge. The entrance stile area was completely surrounded with a "pond" of mud and cowpat over boot deep...no way round and extended for about 50 yards. A live electric fence had been thoughtfully positioned to have a good chance of giving a good shock to anybody trying to walk along the "pond" edge.

Managed to get through it...fortunately wearing leather boots...and could see on map there was a stream about a mile away to clean cow crap off boots. A bit later on on same stretch at wooded area (called Bottom moor?), there's a footpath going north off the main path (this main path is called Cuckoostone lane)...at least there is on my ancient OS map, but it wasn't shown on my open source maps on GPS.

No sight of path on ground...but turned GPS off...and navigated field by field using the OS map (fortunately 1 to 25k with field boundaries show.) No sign anybody had walked it for years...but I know I was bang on line, because I picked up stiles, streams, etc everywhere I expected to...and rejoined a more well walked path exactly when I expected to. If I've got 10 minutes in library tomorrow will have to look at a more up to date OS map, to see if footpath still shown...it's an area which I'd expect to be well walked, with clear signs of the path on the ground.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #355 on: 20:10:06, 31/07/17 »
I went a circular walk from the Cinque Port of Rye today to the village of Iden, coming back beside the river Rother.  An enjoyable walk in the gorgeous rolling golden countryside on the fringes of the High Weald.  Fine and sunny    :)

jethro10

« Reply #356 on: 19:51:46, 01/08/17 »
Just got back from doing a short (4 or 5 miles?) walk from Kelstedge (between Chesterfield and Matlock) to Matlock.

At least there is on my ancient OS map, but it wasn't shown on my open source maps on GPS.

No sight of path on ground...
Don't forget to add it back onto Open Street Map (your open source one no doubt) if you f go to all this trouble to find it.
J

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #357 on: 14:35:13, 03/08/17 »
Just back from a couple of days in South Cheshire and a new walking area for me; Bickerton Hill/Maiden Castle area on Tuesday and then a good section of the Sandstone Trail yesterday via Beeston Castle, then returning via Higher Burwardsley and Willow Hill.

A lovely area and well worth exploring.  O0

I quite fancy doing the whole of the Sandstone Trail, perhaps over 3 days. I'd want to take my time and enjoy the walk, so would rather do 11(ish) miles a day for 3 days than 2 days at 17!

***Happiness is only a smile away***

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #358 on: 15:45:58, 03/08/17 »
Don't forget to add it back onto Open Street Map (your open source one no doubt) if you f go to all this trouble to find it.
J

Still not managed to double check it on a more recent ordnance survey map...been in library a couple of times....but both times not there for long, and "bumped into" people I know. When "mission is accomplished" will have to explore how to add onto Open Street map...one of many things never done.

Been for a six miler today. Years ago bought a booklet giving route details of "Round Sheffield" walk, all told about 54-ish miles. Booklet breaks it down into sections...around 4 to 7 miles each. At time, I thought I'd do a couple a week, and would have finished first circuit in a month. Years later...I reckon I've done 3 or 4 of the sections, grand total of about 20 miles.

Anyway plan was to add new one today: Eckington to Coal Aston. Enjoyed it, but probably one of the less scenic sections...a lot of the section is through woods. And must admit was day dreaming about opening the batting for England most of way round...but in spite of that navigation went amazingly smoothly.

Smoothly until about 1 or 2 miles from finish got the dreaded "Temporary Footpath Closure" notice, accompanied by the ever-helpful "No diversion recommended". Two guys cutting down a few trees...you or I might think it would be possible to skirt round 10 yards being worked on. But no...over a mile of path closed: "For health and safety reasons".

So walk ended with a mile of pavement bashing. But good views from that particular pavement.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #359 on: 17:41:16, 03/08/17 »
Really having to work round the weather at the moment to avoid getting wet here in the SW. Last week we had 2 trips on Dartmoor (Fernworthy and Bellever areas) then later in the week a 4 hour weather window presented itself so we had a walk on Exmoor on Dunkery Beacon.  This week we a good day on the SWCP, Abbotsbury to West Bay and on Tuesday we hit the Exeter Ship Canal timed to start just after the rain stopped. With luck tomorrow there will be  a gap in the rain bands long enough to do the Tarka Trail near Great Torrington.

Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy