Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 576796 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2895 on: 18:17:19, 15/02/20 »
Short walk today - out into the garden to refill the feeders and find out what the odd noise we heard was (turned out to be slate committing suicide by jumping off the roof).
Solvitur Ambulando

watershed

« Reply #2896 on: 19:23:33, 15/02/20 »
Ah, Shetland. Wild up there - these people Sooth don't know the meaning of the word 'Storm'. :)

Too True Richard, I come out in a cold sweat when I think of New Years night in 92.
 I walked home from my Girl Friends (Now my Wife) flat to my house in the early hours. I was in the relative lee of Staney hill. I have heard the expression screaming like a banshee, but only understood what they meant by it after that walk. It was as though a squadron of jets was passing over. It hit over 170mph in Unst. then the recording equipment blew away with the next bigger gust. It was a serious blow.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2897 on: 00:56:37, 23/02/20 »
Happily the wind on Dartmoor was only around 40mph today, but a pleasant warm breeze.  I enjoyed a walk out from Postbridge around 3pm, after earlier bagging Meldon hill.

The plan was to simply head  up over the rise to the Borah stones.  As I reached the East Dart waterfall however, I met a younger chap hoping to get to Fur tor.  After a brief discussion on torches and timescales I joined him and the pair of us sped off at full tilt. Knowing it would be dark by the he time we got back. Having taken two hours to reach the tor, we turned around after a cuppa and we're happily blown back to Postbridge in 1:30.  Well it is mainly down hill too, but still that was one quick return trip accross what is mostly open peat bog and tussock grass.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2898 on: 09:30:07, 23/02/20 »
Loughrigg today, hopefully.

Weather set to improve. Hopefully!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2899 on: 09:42:36, 23/02/20 »
I am trying to decide whether to walk from Lelant to St. Ives or go around The Loe again.
Coffee in town first then I shall decide.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Hadrian

« Reply #2900 on: 16:44:54, 23/02/20 »
Postponed from last week 7 mile circular walk beginning at Cawfields on the Roman Wall. First 4 miles in ankle-deep mud. Final section along the Wall much drier but windy.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2901 on: 16:54:28, 23/02/20 »
I am trying to decide whether to walk from Lelant to St. Ives or go around The Loe again.
Coffee in town first then I shall decide.
Well did Lelant to St. Ives and back, expensive lunch in St. Ives, but saw some interesting art.
GPS app played up, but think I know why (I uninstalled Google Earth and I think it uses that).  So no idea how far I really walked, probably about 7 miles.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2902 on: 18:01:19, 23/02/20 »
After several postponements I walked the Cleveland '3 peaks' today, Roseberry Topping, Highcliffe Nab and Easby Moor (Captain Cook's monument). Turned into a lovely walk if a tad breezy but boy do my legs fell like they've been through the mill, the climb out of Hutton Village up to Highcliffe Nab nearly did for me.... :)
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2903 on: 18:49:46, 23/02/20 »
Yet another functional local walk for me today.  Decided to wade/squelch up the old railway track on my way back from the shops.  Lots of signs that spring is coming - birds chirruping, snowdrops and daffodils poking their heads up and a few buds and blossom on the trees  :)

As lovely as it is to get out into the (very) fresh air for a mooch, I'm getting raging cabin fever and a desperate urge to get some hills into my legs again.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2904 on: 19:01:46, 23/02/20 »
Our walk yesterday was full of Spring's promise.  Daffodils, crocuses. catkins, pussy willow, primroses have all been out for a few weeks now and the cherry blossom just coming through too.  I hear that the magnolia is coming out just across the border in Cornwall too.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2905 on: 19:14:23, 23/02/20 »
Oooh, yes.  My pussy willow is getting its furry things on too  :)

Wouldn't mind but I hacked it down to the ground last year and it's nearly as tall as the house again.  By 'eck it can grow  :o

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2906 on: 10:44:17, 29/02/20 »
Found a sheltered spot on top of Hampsfell, just sitting in the sun taking in the view, Black Combe and Caw snow free, but Coniston Old Man, Langdales, Helvellyn, Fairfield  Red Screes, High Street still plastered in snow. Howgills snow free, but Ingleborough is white.

Snow level perhaps 2000' on the fells. Beautiful.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Hadrian

« Reply #2907 on: 11:10:18, 29/02/20 »
Tomorrow's walk is a climb up Drake Stone, on to Harbottle Lake and then back down to the Coquet valley. Plan is to finish up in The Star pub in the village of Harbottle, Northumberland.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2908 on: 12:25:30, 29/02/20 »
....................  I hear that the magnolia is coming out just across the border in Cornwall too.

Magnolias out at Dartington last Wednesday :)

Caerhayes Castle, Cornwall should be well worth a visit for their huge magnolias just now.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2909 on: 12:39:36, 29/02/20 »
Just done another circuit of The Loe.
Seemed to take forever today, especially Loe Bar as it was against a 35 MPH wind.
But when I looked at the GPS data, was quicker than normal.
Lots of dog dodging today, should be kept on leads.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy