Author Topic: Thermos Cooking..?  (Read 14459 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Thermos Cooking..?
« Reply #15 on: 22:05:39, 09/02/20 »
Didn't have them in my day.  One of the favourites in our rat packs was Babies' Heads.  My least favourite was Biscuits Plain.  Never has the word Plain been used quite so comprehensively, not only tasteless but taste absorbing.  Could only be rendered palatable with the contents of a tube of condensed milk and a tube of jam, with practice you could do it on the march.  Their only plus side was they rendered the shiny loo paper unnecessary so you could use it to write a letter home. The tins of processed cheese weren't bad - open both ends, push the cheese through and slice it off with one of the lids.

Babies heads were good, my favourite snack was the oatmeal blocks  O0
Where there's a will ...

Pitboot

« Reply #16 on: 07:19:33, 10/02/20 »
Each to his own, I have tried plenty of "outdoors" foods and methods of prep since leaving the army and  have had very mixed results.
If it suits you, fine, and bon apettit.

(I was on a course over several weekends and our instructor lectured us on nutrition and so we asked him what was his favourite food and whether he could recommend anything. He gave us a recipe and I volunteered for the group, I would make it and report on it, and bring a sample next weekend if successful.
When we next assembled for our assessment weekend I was asked about the grub, I had to admit that although it hit the mark with the required calories I did not think my companions would be too keen on eating food that looked like vomit, smelled like old socks, and had the consistency of a mashed toad.)

The best ration packs I ever had were survivors of the Falklands war. Arctic issue dried ration packs, Royal Marines, for the use of. Brilliant curry, sublime porridge, superb chocolate. All cooked over my Optimus petrol stove. But not  together.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:13:06, 10/02/20 »
Each to his own, I have tried plenty of "outdoors" foods and methods of prep since leaving the army and  have had very mixed results.
If it suits you, fine, and bon apettit.

(I was on a course over several weekends and our instructor lectured us on nutrition and so we asked him what was his favourite food and whether he could recommend anything. He gave us a recipe and I volunteered for the group, I would make it and report on it, and bring a sample next weekend if successful.
When we next assembled for our assessment weekend I was asked about the grub, I had to admit that although it hit the mark with the required calories I did not think my companions would be too keen on eating food that looked like vomit, smelled like old socks, and had the consistency of a mashed toad.)

The best ration packs I ever had were survivors of the Falklands war. Arctic issue dried ration packs, Royal Marines, for the use of. Brilliant curry, sublime porridge, superb chocolate. All cooked over my Optimus petrol stove. But not  together.
Did you ever give that recipe to Asda. You describe any of their ready meals.  ::)
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:05:03, 10/02/20 »
For short camping trips outwith the winter months, why not leave the stove behind altogether?

Oatcakes, cheese, kabanos sausage, veg pate, dried fruit and nuts, with some chocolate to finish, are much more palatable to me than some rehydrated mush, and are packed with calories, and cereal bars provide a simple breakfast, with no need for bowls, beakers, spoons etc.

For drinks, what could be better than water from a mountain spring or lochan?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:46:39, 10/02/20 »

A cup of tea with breakfast and lunch and a mug of cocoa with a chocolate flapjack before bed ………… mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:00:43, 10/02/20 »

They were ok but took quite a lot of water to make them up. Not so good when the surface water was contaminated with sheep flukes. Or if you had to melt snow on one of those silly hexamine cookers. I think I'd been on the island two weeks before I got a full hot meal.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:22:58, 10/02/20 »

A cup of tea with breakfast and lunch and a mug of cocoa with a chocolate flapjack before bed ………… mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I like a cuppa, but certainly don't 'need' one - would much sooner break camp and get on the move rather than faff around.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:28:47, 10/02/20 »
I like a cuppa, but certainly don't 'need' one - would much sooner break camp and get on the move rather than faff around.

We are all different, but as I'd be boiling water for the Porridge an extra mug full isn't a problem.

I'll often start off at '1st light, do a couple of hours and then take a break & have breakfast at (say) 8:00am, top up on the carbs to keep going until lunch time.

lightweightmick

« Reply #23 on: 13:12:44, 13/02/20 »
Thanks for the input you guys  O0
For short camping trips outwith the winter months, why not leave the stove behind altogether?

Oatcakes, cheese, kabanos sausage, veg pate, dried fruit and nuts...

As a 'fast and light' enthusiast of 20 yrs now, I can say with confidence that lots of dry stuff is just not palatable for me. Staying hydrated can be a big problem, which makes many foods impossible to get down with long days. Food intake can be a major problem, and, what Ronald Turnbull describes as 'failing at the eating' can become an issue and has done on many occasions for me. Being too reliant on others (ie. pubs, shops, even hotels chippys and B&B's and their offerings) has proven itself to be a shaky foundation to base a good intake of calories. Better to be more self-reliant even at the expense of extra weight..?
Having lost my water on my last C2C (on foot only) I was lucky to have found a spring (as well as a well-stocked cyclist!) but it was time consuming with the filter to get a full litre (and I wasn't high enough to trust it without...) Water is not always as easily available as you might first think - hence all the taps on the SDWay. On the last night I bivvied I managed to get some from a cattle trough (in the dark with tiny torch) only to discover it was alive with tiny worms next morning which I hadn't been able to see the night before. I boiled it well for my breakfast cuppa, but I'd glugged a good pint down in the dark...

The following just screams 'THIRST' to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbfwIF9gzOk

In one of Ronald's books (may be: 'Across Scotland on Foot'..?) he recounts how his mate sets off (Southern Upland Way as I recall) with loads of his own pre-packed muesli mix which he has to throw away after a few days as he can't face it anymore. I know that feeling - you want it so bad but you just can't eat it!
The experience of food cloying in your throat because your body knows it hasn't got what it needs to digest it is not pleasant. I would imagine this is why high carb gels were developed for runners and cyclists..?

Getting the calories right can be challenging in itself fo'sure!

Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

lightweightmick

« Reply #24 on: 02:12:18, 16/02/20 »
Yesterday's 'Thermos cottage pie' was good... today's 'Thermos barbecue beans and rice' not so good as the rice was a bit too 'al dente' lol - I'm on it though...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 06:27:53, 16/02/20 »
I imagine orzo would be a good substitute for rice in those circumstances. You will find it in the pasta aisle.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:20:40, 16/02/20 »
I imagine orzo would be a good substitute for rice in those circumstances. You will find it in the pasta aisle.
Yes, Orzo will cook more quickly and I think it will be lighter in weight. Orzotto is a faster alternative to risotto and doesn’t need the constant stirring.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:58:09, 16/02/20 »
You could also use cous cous or bulgar wheat instead of rice too O0   
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

lightweightmick

« Reply #28 on: 10:51:14, 16/02/20 »
Yeah, I've thought of trying that - small grains - cheers. Not something we have in usually and I forgot to get some yesterday... doh
Yes, Orzo will cook more quickly and I think it will be lighter in weight. Orzotto is a faster alternative to risotto and doesn’t need the constant stirring.
Never heard of this or seen it tbh... but will check it out - cheers.
You could also use cous cous or bulgar wheat instead of rice too O0   
Yep, also worth a go - cheers.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:13:55, 17/02/20 »
I don't really understand the advantages of cooking by Thermos - why not just fill a wide mouthed thermos with hot food?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy