Author Topic: TR What we got up to in Sep 16  (Read 2100 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR What we got up to in Sep 16
« on: 19:58:43, 06/07/17 »
Some pics from a wash out wild camp on Beda Fell in early September before we went to the Cheviots. It poured down and we got soaked!

Beefy on Beda Fell summit. We got some cheap ponchos to see if they were waterproof. They were but we got too hot in them  ::)

The Drift on Beda Fell. We pitched early, the rain didn't stop and we stayed there all night

Angle Tarn next day

Close up of Helvellyn and Catstycam, taken on the way back down to Patterdale

When we got back from our break in the Cheviots we did a 2 nighter in the Lakes. What a fantastic holiday we had, a very memorable 10 days. The break in the Lakes was brilliant and worthy of a more detailed trip report.

Day 1 Ravenglass to Boat How
We caught the train to Ravenglass and first stop was Muncaster Fell

Eastward view from Muncaster Fell

Beefy on Muncaster Fell top

It was wet and boggy on Muncaster Fell. Although the views were nice the ground underfoot was hard going and the path very vague in places. We used viewranger a few times to keep ourselves on track and we both said we wouldn't want to come across here in mist. We met a nice couple at Irton Road Station who had got a bit lost on the fell and descended a steep rough slope and ended up doing a bit of trespassing. We said we'd kept out of trouble with Viewranger or we would have joined them  ;D We had a break at the station and we were going to walk through Mitredale and hoped to find a pitch somewhere near Boat How

Mitredale, what a lovely place

The Drift on Boat How

We found a pitch below the summit, it was a bit breezy but we were sheltered from it a little. We had our tea and then had a bit of an explore

Kirk Fell, Scafell and Burnmoor Tarn from Boat How top

Sunset behind Whin Rigg

We had some wine and watched the sunset sitting nice and cosy in the Drift. The wind dropped and we had a peaceful night. Our route was: Ravenglass - Muncaster Fell - Irton Road Station - Mitredale - Burnmoor Lodge - Boat How. 16.8km with 668m ascent

Day 2 Boat How to hard Knott fort
We were going to do Scafell and Slight Slide, drop down to Wha House then find a pitch on Border End or just below it if we were too tired to climb up it.

The Drift below Scafell and Slight Side

We packed our gear after drying the tent, the wind had dropped overnight and condensation had built up on the flysheet.

Burnmoor Tarn

It was very wet in places getting to the foot of Scafell. Then we started on the long slog up to the summit. I hated the steep scree and I vowed I would never come up this way again. It took us 45 minutes longer than I thought it would to get to the top

Beefy on Scafell summit. It was his 212 x 2 and my 213 x 7

On Scafell summit looking at Scafell Pike, Esk Pike and Bowfell

Bowfell and the Crinkles

We stopped here for a break and had some food and a brew enjoying the views before descending on more rough loose stones.

Long Green and Slight Side ahead

Bowfell and the Crinkles

A rare shot of yours truly (taken from my own camera that is!) Beefy did the honours, this is me on Slight Side and my 214 x 7

It was beefy's 213 x 2. He had one more to do, Lingmell; we didn't manage to finish together this time  :D

We descended toward Eskdale and we gave some bullocks a bit of room, they were right on the path but they weren't interested in us at all. More boggy ground was covered across to the Terrace path down to Wha House

Hard Knott and Hard Knott fort. We were hoping to pitch somewhere over there

We were getting tired so we doubted we would get onto Border End and we would look for a pitch below it on the fort side. We got down to Wha House and I checked Viewranger. We'd only done 12km and 716m of ascent. It seemed like double that! We walked along the road up toward the fort, I really struggled when it got steep, I was out of gas. We joined the footpath to get off the road and Beefy looked around the fort while I sat down and had a rest.

We found a superb spot about 5 minutes walk from the fort, out of sight behind a little hillock

We got some water to filter had some tea and had a rest waiting for the sunset

Hard Knott and our tent, is this the golden hour?

We poured some wine and enjoyed the spectacle

Harter Fell

The sun begins to disappear

It was a great sunset

What a great pitch this was and we had such a wonderful time. We had more wine and got into our bags to keep warm
Day 2 was Boat How - Burnmoor Tarn - Hard Rigg - Scafell - Slight Slide - Wha House - Brotherilkeld - Hard Knott Fort - pitch below Border End 16km with 916m ascent.

Day 3

We had another peaceful night with not much wind and after our breakfast we packed away our stuff and set off for the Hard Knott pass. We were walking over Wrynose Pass and over to Blea Tarn and down to Great Langdale. The quickest way for us to get to a bus stop, there are no trains on Sundays from Ravenglass to Carlisle.

The Eskdale Valley

On the way to Wrynose Pass

We stopped for some food and a brew just over the summit of Wrynose Pass on the Little Langdale side

Langdale Pikes behind Tarnclose Crag and Side Pike

We'd had a peaceful few days, hardly seeing a soul really and when we joined the path from Blea Tarn down to Great Langdale we must have seen a thousand people coming up it. Well this might be a slight exaggeration but I'm not that far off  ;D Back to reality and civilisation. We got our bus at the ODG and had a bit of time in Ambleside before catching the bus to Keswick and then back home.
Day 3 was Pitch below Border End - Hard Knott Pass - Cockley Beck - Wrynose Pass - Blea Tarn - ODG Great Langdale. 12.3km with 552m ascent. You can had another 4.4km onto the days total, we walked home from Carlisle. A superb few days in the Lakes to finish off a fantastic holiday, shame it has to end.
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: TR What we got up to in Sep 16
« Reply #1 on: 21:00:27, 06/07/17 »
Great photos April O0  Really liked the sunset and the last photo of the Langdale Pikes O0  All being well, I might be up Harrison Stickle this weekend :D  weather permitting

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:08:19, 06/07/17 »
great write up
and pics Ape... O0
was nice reliving some very happy memories
thanks for posting it must have taken ages to compile that
my two fave pics are
no1

and no 2

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:42:38, 06/07/17 »
Sounds like a lovely few days and some beautiful photos. Well done.

I remember going over Hard Knott Pass in a car, a bit on the steep side!

Regards Keith

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:58:57, 06/07/17 »
Great stuff A. O0  Livin' the dream
I have never taken the same line twice over Muncaster fell, the path does seem to keep moving >:(
Love the pic of the poncho pillock ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:51:47, 06/07/17 »
Great pics April, thanks for sharing.

It's odd isn't it how some days are just hard work, like your Hard Knott day, even though the stats say you've not done as much as you feel you have.

Congrats on X7  :o

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:59:31, 06/07/17 »
Beautiful photos April     :)    I especially like the sunset ones

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:23:36, 07/07/17 »
Wow lovely pictures - particularly like the one of Burnmoor Tarn, but they are all great.

Paul

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:50:01, 07/07/17 »
I might be up Harrison Stickle this weekend :D  weather permitting
Thanks henry, the weather is looking pretty good, enjoy  :)

was nice reliving some very happy memories

it was for me too  :)

I remember going over Hard Knott Pass in a car, a bit on the steep side!

Yes it is a steep beggar

;D We haven't worn them since for some reason  :D

Thank you. We have decided we wont be doing another round, some of the fells we don't really want to revisit  :D

I especially like the sunset ones

Thanks Dovegirl, I took about 15 on the 2nd night!

particularly like the one of Burnmoor Tarn, but they are all great.

Thank you  O0
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:09:27, 07/07/17 »
Oi... :(
You've still not paid your gas bill  ;D

Great pics April, thanks for sharing.

It's odd isn't it how some days are just hard work, like your Hard Knott day, even though the stats say you've not done as much as you feel you have.

It depends on how bad she's hung over  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:53:03, 07/07/17 »
A great trip April. Made I jealous.  O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:25:40, 09/07/17 »
Wow, you got some stunning pictures there, April - had to single out favourites from them but love the one of Helvellyn and Catstycam, and the one of the Langdale Pikes at the end with the swirl of cloud... Oh, and pretty much all of them inbetween!  O0 :)

I've only been on Muncaster once - we did it the opposite way, caught train from Ravenglass to Irton Road and then walked back. It was a bit squelchy underfoot but I really enjoyed it. Makes for a nice half-day walk with some cracking views for not a huge amount of effort.

Enjoyed the TR, cheers!  :)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:11:06, 12/07/17 »

........we didn't manage to finish together this time  :D

Well really, I only read read these for the walking stuff  :D

Ahem !  Stupidity aside - a great TR April and stunning photos. All are wonderful but the shot of Burnmoor Tarn is so serene and reminds me of a very pleasant / lazy afternoon many years ago.
 O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:50:55, 13/07/17 »
Thanks Penygadair, adalard  and IM O0
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:05:30, 13/07/17 »
Fab photos, as always O0