Author Topic: [Trip Report] - Grisedale  (Read 1911 times)

Chris

• Administrator
[Trip Report] - Grisedale
« on: 01:54:09, 02/02/07 »
A couple of weeks ago I took our family to CentreParcs for a few days, the one just outside the Lake District. I managed to persuade them to drag themselves away from the 'subtropical paradise' for a day to go for a walk in the Lakes. Reluctantly they agreed, and the day we chose was wet, cold & windy. But as it turned out this was one of the best days of the week, with howling gales and pouring rain for the rest of the week.

We couldn't do anything too adventurous as we had 2 toddlers who refuse to walk faster than 1 mph, so we were limited to where our all-terrain double buggy would take us. I decided on a tame walk along the length of Grisedale, the valley on the other side of Striding Edge. Although I've been up the hill next door a couple of times, I'd never been into Grisesdale before.

On the way Ullswater was so full it had overflowed onto the road in parts. We parked at Patterdale and walked along the track to the farm near the end of the valley, and continued as far as we could on the rough path beyond, before turning back. About 4 miles there and back.

Here's a few pics.
« Last Edit: 02:03:13, 02/02/07 by Chris »

marmot

Re: [Trip Report] - Grisedale
« Reply #1 on: 22:03:52, 26/02/07 »
Yes, it's a great valley - good way to do Striding Edge - on the return (as a change from the usual classic of doing it with Swirral Edge), after doing the ridge up to Nethermost Pike.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:32:38, 18/09/07 »
A couple of weeks ago I took our family to CentreParcs for a few days, the one just outside the Lake District. I managed to persuade them to drag themselves away from the 'subtropical paradise' for a day to go for a walk in the Lakes. Reluctantly they agreed, and the day we chose was wet, cold & windy. But as it turned out this was one of the best days of the week, with howling gales and pouring rain for the rest of the week.

We couldn't do anything too adventurous as we had 2 toddlers who refuse to walk faster than 1 mph, so we were limited to where our all-terrain double buggy would take us. I decided on a tame walk along the length of Grisedale, the valley on the other side of Striding Edge. Although I've been up the hill next door a couple of times, I'd never been into Grisesdale before.

On the way Ullswater was so full it had overflowed onto the road in parts. We parked at Patterdale and walked along the track to the farm near the end of the valley, and continued as far as we could on the rough path beyond, before turning back. About 4 miles there and back.

Here's a few pics.
the 1st pic is that a single yellow line and a road post?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 21:48:22, 27/09/07 »
the 1st pic is that a single yellow line and a road post?

Thats right. The lake was so high the water was flooding onto the road. We we driving through several inches of water at that point.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy