Author Topic: 6 days along the GR10  (Read 676 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
6 days along the GR10
« on: 18:47:20, 16/12/19 »
I have walked much of the GR10 but am wondering if anyone has views as to whether there is a section where it is possible to walk 5 or 6 days along the GR10 and then switch to the GR11 and use it to return to the start point.
It's all uphill from here.

myxpyr

Re: 6 days along the GR10
« Reply #1 on: 19:48:31, 16/12/19 »
I have walked much of the GR10 but am wondering if anyone has views as to whether there is a section where it is possible to walk 5 or 6 days along the GR10 and then switch to the GR11 and use it to return to the start point.
I've done a few sections of the GR10 and the GR11 between Benasque and Esterri d'Aneu. I'm not sure if there are any points where the two paths actually meet; I suspect not. However there are some points where they are fairly close. For instance, the GR 10 passes through Bagneres du Luchon and in a day or so you could get from Luchon to Benasque via the Port de Venasque(there is a CAF Refuge on the French side) There are Cicerone guide books for the GR10 and the GR11 which may give better information

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:25:19, 16/12/19 »
Yes, the reverse of what I did last year. Get to Hendaye, walk the GR10 to St Jean Pied du Port, then follow the Camino to Roncavelles in Spain (I think its the GR64?) and when there join the GR11 back to Hendaye via Elizondo. I did it over 14 days, superb! I still remember eating White Chocolate Soup with dark mint chocolate shavings on top when on the Spanish side, funny what sticks in one's memory.

Are you planning to camp?

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:30:51, 16/12/19 »
[

Are you planning to camp?

Gites and refuges on the French side and hopefully refuges on the Spanish side.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:31:09, 16/12/19 »
I used this site to plan, worked really well.

https://travesiapirenaica.com/en/gr11/gr11.php

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:33:41, 16/12/19 »
Many thanks. Just thinking about it fir the futute.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:56:12, 16/12/19 »
There is one point on the GR11 route when you arrive at the Urkiaga Pass and there are no buildings/houses etc nearby. The Hostal Arrobi Borda is about 7km away (where I had my choccy soup) but the beauty of it is the owner will pick you up at the pass, take you to his hostel (a very nice place) and in the morning will drive you back to the pass again. All the details are on the web page. That's almost what I did, he picked me up and then took me and a German couple I had met to his restaurant and once I had finished my meal, it was such a balmy evening I fancied walking back to the pass. About 2km on I decided that I was too tiddly and so hitchhiked back and once there I slept the night in a hut just set back from the road.

I also remember my starter, 6 large white asparagus with dips, plus wine of course but can't recall what my main course was? Anyway, a great evening!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:04:42, 16/12/19 »
Before I forget, if you download the app Windy Maps the GR10 and the GR11 routes are displayed very clearly.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy