Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 576688 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2925 on: 13:23:52, 22/03/20 »
I did my usual, favourite circle around The Loe.  Was surprised to see the cafe selling take away tea and buns as it is on NT land, but not an NT cafe.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Hadrian

« Reply #2926 on: 16:35:48, 22/03/20 »
In what may be one of the last group walks for a while, 8 of us walked Humbleton and Harehope Hills near Wooler, Northumberland. 7.5 miles in glorious sunshine with a light breeze.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2927 on: 17:59:23, 22/03/20 »
Quite a tough half day climbing Red Screes and Middle Dodd in gorgeous weather (sorry Mel) from Kirkstone Pass.
I suspect that the descent from Middle Dodd towards Brotherswater is on April's 'banned list'!  :D

Noticed that The Kirkstone Pass Inn was selling take away drinks in bottles and plastic glasses from a table across the door - quite a few people enjoying them in the afternoon sunshine - plenty of picnic tables for people to spread themselves around on.

On a slightly sour note, several souped up cars driven by what I can only describe as p*nises revving in and out of the car park, litter louts too - more horsepower than brain cells. Could hear then from half way up the hill.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2928 on: 21:38:29, 22/03/20 »
Mrs G and I Walked from Brownsham to East Tichberry along the back lanes and footpaths and then back along the coast path, with our daughter.  Very few people about.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2929 on: 21:46:32, 22/03/20 »
I have given up on weekends by and large as people who still have to work are constrained to exercise then, whereas I can go at hopefully less crowded times.  Hopefully, we might manage another chunk of the Exe Valley Way near Bampton on the morrow, once we have raided the farmers supermarket and greengrocer first thing.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2930 on: 18:11:44, 28/03/20 »
Back to Haughton Park and the banks of the River Don again, walking from my front door. The weather was very different this weekend. The wind was very cold and there was some snow and hail. The highlight this week was over 1,000 pink footed geese. The flew overhead and landed in nearby fields all the time making a tremendous racket. Suddenly, after some secret signal they all took to the air together and wheeled away towards the hills. There were still a few noisy mallards and oystercatchers, the later of which seem to have their voice boxes connected to their wings. There was also a grey heron flying over the river, before landing behind the opposite bank. The sun was shine on Bennachie and Millstone Hill and they looked very inviting. Unfortunately, these are a bit too far to walk to. They are only a 15 minute drive away, but it would be hypocritical to go and the car parks might be closed anyway. At least I am fortunate to live on the edge of a rural village, so I can easily get to seem some open space, even now.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2931 on: 18:29:49, 28/03/20 »
Notwithstanding my previous post, the new rules mean I am now walking "round the block" most days.  Living in a smallish village with a radial road pattern, crossed by some deep valleys, means I can go a fair way before I meet a road leading across to the next radial for the return.  The routes vary between 9 and 14 km.  It is door to door walking so I hope it is legal.  Once I leave the village, the only people I meet are in tractors or cars.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2932 on: 18:47:05, 28/03/20 »
The routes vary between 9 and 14 km.  It is door to door walking so I hope it is legal.  Once I leave the village, the only people I meet are in tractors or cars.

On my modest 6.5km walk today from my front door I "met" dozens of people and had to criss cross the road to avoid them. If I had driven ten minutes to a more remote place I probably would have "met" 2 or 3 people. There is no mileage restriction ninthace, the guidelines say you can do your usual length of walk, run or bike ride.
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2933 on: 19:39:05, 28/03/20 »
On my modest 6.5km walk today from my front door I "met" dozens of people and had to criss cross the road to avoid them. If I had driven ten minutes to a more remote place I probably would have "met" 2 or 3 people. There is no mileage restriction ninthace, the guidelines say you can do your usual length of walk, run or bike ride.
Ah the joys of urban living!
I am still rehabilitating my knee.  It has been tested just beyond 10km but 14km is going to be interesting.  It still does not like descents though and since we live on the end of a ridge, any circular walk of a decent length involves a few.  I looked at my trace today: average speed on the flat 5.04kph, uphill 5.13kph, downhill 4.74kph - go figure!
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2934 on: 19:43:43, 28/03/20 »
My daily haunt around the many joined up parks. Since the lock down I've not seen a soul out walking, very few before so no great change. Mind you I try to be out by 6am at the latest get my 4 miles in and home for shower and breakfast.
Too little, too late, too bad......

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2935 on: 19:49:57, 28/03/20 »
average speed on the flat 5.04kph, uphill 5.13kph, downhill 4.74kph - go figure!

These days I am faster uphill too than downhill with my dodgy knees and hips  :(

Ah the joys of urban living!
I

I shouldn't complain really, I live 3+ miles from the only city in Cumbria. The problem is there are more people walking from their front doors than normal! They would normally be driving elsewhere!
Hate will never win

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2936 on: 20:02:02, 28/03/20 »
 First walk tonight after two weeks of house arrest.Managed 200 meters before it started chucking it down so I turned around and ran home.I would have been fed up with the weather before but the fact that I can already run reasonably quick and not get out of breath is a sure sign things are heading in the right direction.Last weekend I was knackered after five minutes of pitifully slow riding on the exercise bike.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2937 on: 22:55:00, 28/03/20 »
Good you can get back out Tonyk, and glad you are recovering so well

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2938 on: 23:30:27, 28/03/20 »
There were less people around this week - in single figures - but that might have been the weather.

watershed

« Reply #2939 on: 13:12:10, 29/03/20 »
I did 7 miles yesterday around the outskirts of Lerwick myself then my wife and 4 kids joined in for a further 2.2 miles. 680M ascent.
today have done 5.4 miles getting in the shopping and will do a couple of miles with the family later.
I have never seen so many people walking here before, so for safety sake I will be heading back to the hills and solitude.
It is still close by in Shetland so should qualify for "local". same as my eggs and tatties.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy