Author Topic: Rab Vital Windshell  (Read 1947 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Rab Vital Windshell
« on: 11:25:14, 24/08/19 »
I bought one of these recently and have just had the chance to use it properly. Whilst walking across Dartmoor and Exmoor it was windy all of the time and I was able to test whether I had bought something useful or not.

I'm now glad I bought it, for me this windproof has become my most loved item. It's thin and very light, it's not waterproof but it is windproof. I've hiked for a number of years now, why did I not buy a windproof before? For me, it meant that I could wear just a baselayer and the Rab Vital on top. I was comfortable, warm as I wanted to be and the wind didn't bother me at all. The hood works well, one report suggests its a bit 'goofy' but I don't care, it's effective and that's all that matters to me! I wear my hat underneath the hood and the hood grips it very well. The jacket has a full zip, elasticated wrists, two lower zipped pockets and one waist level zipped inside pocket.

I can see that as it get colder I can wear, for example, my warm jacket on top of my baselayer with the Rab Vital on top and still be at the temperature I want to be. I'm not pushing the Rab Vital in particular, I'm sure that there are other great windshells out there, but for me buying this jacket is one of my best buys ever.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Rab Vital Windshell
« Reply #1 on: 12:47:04, 24/08/19 »
Windshells are often overlooked but are very useful and weigh extremely little. When the wind is a bit too chilly, whether wearing a base layer or a fleece on top, we often find that a shell jacket would be overkill but a windshell is just the job, virtually no bulk and good freedom of movement.

Ours are well over 20 years old now, bought from Outside in Hathersage. I can't even picture the original colour but sunlight and time have faded them to a washed-out pink.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:59:50, 26/08/19 »
I have a disgustingly fluorescent cycling jacket that is windproof - often wear it whilst running but it is most definitely NOT waterproof - I fount this out with a vengeance whilst running (mostly) up Lomond West in Fife a few year's ago. Was caught by the rain and by the time I got back to the car I was literally soaked to the skin. When I got undressed to go in the shower, there was no more than one square inch of my boxers left dry.

For serious walking I'll always have a decent waterproof jacket in my pack.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:46:02, 26/08/19 »
Normally I could agree with you but from my experience (Marmot Precip) all that a waterproof jacket does is make a lot of condensation when running, less so when walking. The thing I like about the Vital is that if it's hot inside, it dries very quickly once the zip is undone and exposed to the air. When I run, if its raining I just flip my Vaude poncho on, loads of room and works a treat. I do look a bit odd though to the casual viewer.

Patrick1

« Reply #4 on: 10:27:31, 27/08/19 »
I agree - windshirt and waterproof do different jobs, but I happily carry both. I'm always amazed at how much extra warmth I get from such a thin and lightweight garment when I put on my windshirt. I guess my waterproof would supply similar wind protection, but it rapidly gets steamy inside, which actually stops it feeling as warm anyway. I carry waterproofs, and wear them when its raining, but the windshirt has a different function, which for me is well worth the 100g it adds to my pack.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:22:06, 27/08/19 »
I have a Rab Ventus shirt, which they don't seem to make anymore but it's the same as a Borealis pull-on but without the pixy hood. it's made of Pertex, it's not waterproof it's not meant to be. It's a wind proof it keeps the wind off. I wear it a lot when out in the hills, over a base layer or base layer and fleece. Great bit of kit, it's lighter and less restrictive than a waterproof jacket but keeps the warmed air close to your skin.

In Sweden I had some really hot days, 30+ degrees not what you'd expect in the arctic. There were also lots of mosquitoes out. Normally when it's that hot I'd wear just a T-shirt but that would leave bare arms. I wore just my Rab shirt instead, full arm cover and zip up to the neck. It proved to be very mosquito proof and thin enough to not be too hot.   

Kilo Romeo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:25:15, 19/05/22 »
I bought one of these recently and have just had the chance to use it properly. Whilst walking across Dartmoor and Exmoor it was windy all of the time and I was able to test whether I had bought something useful or not.

I'm now glad I bought it, for me this windproof has become my most loved item. It's thin and very light, it's not waterproof but it is windproof. I've hiked for a number of years now, why did I not buy a windproof before? For me, it meant that I could wear just a baselayer and the Rab Vital on top. I was comfortable, warm as I wanted to be and the wind didn't bother me at all. The hood works well, one report suggests its a bit 'goofy' but I don't care, it's effective and that's all that matters to me! I wear my hat underneath the hood and the hood grips it very well. The jacket has a full zip, elasticated wrists, two lower zipped pockets and one waist level zipped inside pocket.

I can see that as it get colder I can wear, for example, my warm jacket on top of my baselayer with the Rab Vital on top and still be at the temperature I want to be. I'm not pushing the Rab Vital in particular, I'm sure that there are other great windshells out there, but for me buying this jacket is one of my best buys ever.

Sorry to keep resurrecting old threads but I am looking for a windshirt. Are you still happy with the Rab Vital GWM?

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:59:38, 19/05/22 »

Sorry to keep resurrecting old threads but I am looking for a windshirt. Are you still happy with the Rab Vital GWM?

I'm not sure if this will be of interest, but the item of clothing that I've worn more than any other in the past year is my Adidas OTR (own the run!) wind jacket. It's extremely light and folds up into its own zipped pocket. It's not at all waterproof, but it keeps me warm worn over other thin layers and it's definitely windproof. I use it when walking, but I've also worn it all day on long runs and it never feels sweaty.

The problem with Adidas though is that the designs change often, although I think they still do the same basic model. I think I paid less than £30 from Sports Direct...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Kilo Romeo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:34:32, 19/05/22 »
That looks promising too, thanks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:49:12, 19/05/22 »
I'm very happy with it. Mine is dark blue, it folds, rolls or scrunches up small, it's light in weight, it slips over my mid-layers easily, it can be secured around my hips if need be and it has a good zip. I use it as a running jacket and as a cycling jacket as well. Its primary purpose is to protect from wind, I think it's great when I'm wearing a fleece and the wind is whistling through the fabric, I just put my Rab on and instant warmth. It also has a little snap tab three quarters up the zip. I use this if I start to get warm, I fully open the zip, snap the tab together and air can circulate around me inside the jacket without it blowing and flapping all over the place.

The Vital is not waterproof. The hood works well when the zip is fully up but if the zip is down a bit and you are walking into the wind the hood acts as a 'small parachute,' I get an airflow all around my head which can be rather nice at times. It's not a problem for me, I only use the hood if it's cold and if it is cold, my zip is fully pulled up anyway. My only dislike about it is that it comes with elasticated sleeves, I prefer open sleeves.

What I really like about my windproof is how little warm clothing I have to wear when it's cold, it's also ideal when I want to go to the pub or if want or need to pedal off on my bike. For me, one of my better buys.

Kilo Romeo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:08:39, 19/05/22 »
Thanks, two long term positive reports.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:37:17, 19/05/22 »
I forgot to mention, I now have a dilemma which I must make a decision about. I now also own a Rab Kinetic waterproof jacket, it's a wonderfully soft, and loves to be stroked, type of material. It's also light in weight (not as light as the Vital though) and I can also use this as a windproof, for running and for cycling if I want to.

It's likely that when I go on my next long hike I will take this jacket rather than my Vital, the waterproof option I know will win me over. It doesn't have elasticated sleeved, they secure with velcro, far easier to manage if I need to wear a pair of gloves.

Patrick1

« Reply #12 on: 15:54:16, 19/05/22 »
Another Rab Vital owner here. I've had mine for at least three years now and its still going strong. I carry it in a side pocket of my rucksack all the time - when out in the hills, certainly, but also in the bag I carry around town during the week. Never ceases to amaze me how much warmer such a lightweight garment makes me feel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy