Author Topic: Guided walks worth it?  (Read 4128 times)

dank86

Re: Guided walks worth it?
« Reply #30 on: 21:24:22, 05/08/18 »
Velo has only been here a few days as well.... What a great first impression....

VeloSpeleo

« Reply #31 on: 18:29:59, 06/08/18 »
LOL!
I'm certainly not looking to make any impressions here and I have plenty of walking pals,so I'm not short of company.
Older people might identify with some of my opinions, but younger ones, I would not expect to.
They are opinions. Just that. If people want to be offended or aggrieved, that's their lot.
I can assure everyone that no offence was intended.

dank86

« Reply #32 on: 18:40:26, 06/08/18 »
No one has said you looking for more mates but your 5th post since joining was an elitist rant full of bs whether its your opinion or not, age also has nothing to do with it unless your saying old people are more miserable?

Anyway please enlighten bme as to why my 5 years working with children and young people and introducing them the the outdoors wasn't a 'poper job'?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 18:54:16, 06/08/18 »

Older people might identify with some of my opinions,

Well I'm only 60 so I guess I'm a young person as I find your opinion ridiculous. There are many routes into outdoor activities, all of which are as valid as any other. It's the getting out and doing it that matters, not whether you use a guide or not.
As for the good old days, back in the 1900's your Edwardian gentleman wouldn't think of going out into the hills without his guide by his side.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:36:46, 06/08/18 »
Sounds like classic forum trolling tactics to me.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 00:57:37, 08/08/18 »
I suppose it depends on what you class as guided walks. At very different times in my life I have been guided or led in the mountains. As a young military apprentice I was guided in the hills during my Basic Training. I was taught to navigate and field craft. I was again guided during training for my Duke of Edinburgh awards and Ten Tors competition. I was again led or guided in the hills of the Mamores during my Military training and led to being led again during Artic Survival training. I was led or guided by the Mountain Training In Kinlochleven, Joint Services Mountain Training Wing at both Indefatigable in Wales and Ballachulish in Scotland. Clockwork in Norway, Plastic Bread Bin in Wales did my Summer ML qualification and after more time in Norway I was guided again by Glenmore to do my Winter Mountain Leader.

After leaving the military I continued to join groups guided from JSMTC Balachulish and I have also paid a guide to aid a crossing of all 11 Munro's on Skye as I wanted to complete this in one 14 hour day walk.

So yes guiding is worth paying for, however where ever possible learn from people for free by joining forums etc and using the meet ups to gain experience and share experience.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 11:27:22, 09/08/18 »
Back to the OP, I'm afraid the worth really depends on the person leading it (and the person being led, in terms of what they like). I have been on very worthwhile guided walks, usually by people who can give me information I didn't already know or show me things I couldn't find for myself.

The price would depend on the experience/qualification of the person running it, the terrain it is in, how many people are in the group, and what exactly was involved.
Unless they're charging just to cover expenses, or they are subsidised somehow, they will probably be looking for about £100-120 a day. The more people in the group, the more that can be split between.

Some examples that I've led (all requiring them to bring their own food and clothes, but with me providing any technical gear):
custom day for two people doing some Lakeland ridges - £200
day looking at Bronze Age settlement and ritual on Dartmoor for up to 6 people - £20 a head
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 10:01:20, 10/08/18 »
I enjoy guided walks and when on holidays overseas will usually take them when offered. It's a chance to go somewhere you may not find on your own and learn about the local area. But being a good guide is a skill and not everyone is suited to it. When I'm paying, I want lots of local info to be given and time to enjoy the surroundings and take photos rather than just going on a route march.  

I've also been on a couple locally in Savernake Forest and they were great, fascinating & informative with plenty of actual walking.
As for payment, I've found that usually there's a set price and sometimes a guide will make a lot of money on a walk and sometimes very little - swings and roundabouts.
~
Sue

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 18:51:04, 12/08/18 »
Just to add my six-pennorth - I've been involved in leading guided walks for a few years now. I think and that many of  those who attend walks in Co Durham treat  them as a social event. They meet their friends, make new friends and get a bit of exercise. In Co.Durham, there's several "independent" walking groups who arrange regular walks as well as local branches of The Ramblers and the County Council, English Nature (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) and the AONB who all organise guided walks - usually free or with a very small charge - £1 to £4. You could probably join a walk every day of the week for a year. I suspect that most who go are quite capable of navigating around their own walks, and I know that quite a lot do that, but they like to also walk in a group; have a chat, a bit of banter and so-on. 
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy