Author Topic: T/R Jakes Rake.  (Read 18329 times)

guess who

• Veteran Member
T/R Jakes Rake.
« on: 09:29:22, 02/07/11 »
As soon as i saw this walk was being organised as a meet. I knew i was going to be on it.
I have waited 15 years to do it.
3 attempts before have all had to be called off because of bad weather.

On the drive up i called AJ, telling him i was going be stopping for a buttie. Just about to finish my buttie and AJ appeared in the lay bye.
He says he is leading Yeti and swampy as they are not sure of the way.
So i set of with them, all we needed was some CB radios. As we now had our own little convoy.
Coming into Windermere, Dellwalker appeared out of nowhere to join our little convoy.

Arrive at the car park the group was already gathering.

Once everyone was ready it was time for the off.

Chance for the first pose of the day.

More pics from the climb up.

The first of many stops on the way up. It really was a cracking pace going up. Nice and steady plenty of chances to enjoy a chat and the view.

There were quite a few people about.

And now the first full view of what we had come to do.

Time for a stop. Drinks and a bit of food went down well. Also chance to see the Rake and spot people already on it.

And then time for a group photo. before we set of to do it.

We now made our way around the tarn and up to the start of the Rake.

It was at this point. I turned round to see AJ flossing his teeth. I had to ask him why he was doing it. His answer will live with me for ever.

"If i fall and they need to check my dental records my teeth will look good" ;D ;D

Arriving at the start of the Rake. Now its time to get serious. A pic of the tarn from the start of the Rakes. Hopefully more pics of it as we go up will show the height gained.

Coming up this section i found one bit of really hard. For some reason, i just couldnt seem to get a good handhold and found some footholds were a long way apart. Resulting in nearly doing the spilts.
Also me included, it was like watching living rock. As people kept really close to the rock and pulled themselves up the rock.

We came to a very wide section of the climb and had a break.

Because of where i was in the group i couldn't see how Swampy was getting on. However i had no reason to worry as she soon came into view.

Time to set of again.

We now came to the section that most of us found the hardest.
There was one big section. That you had to climb up and over to the left to get round it. At this point you were left very exposed.
Sorry to say but i have no photos of this. I was to busy trying to work out how i was going to do it.

Last pic from the Rake. About 20ft from the end of it.

And the last one of the tarn.

Some of the group at the top.

aljones27

• Veteran Member
Re: T/R Jakes Rake.
« Reply #1 on: 10:19:20, 02/07/11 »
Great report and pictures.

O0 O0

Maybe one day...before I get my head examined :idiot2:
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:37:31, 02/07/11 »
Fab TR and pics there! What a day! I have to say when we reached the rake my bowels started to gripe a bit :-\  but I turned round to see AJ flossing his teeth??*?!! As always, when faced with terror AJ always has a way of bringing humour and calm to a situation. ;D O0  Top day with brilliant company as always. Great to meet some new peeps too. What a bunch! O0  I am sooo achy this morning and my knees are well bruised ( just like old days but instead of hills there was alcohol).
Thanks to Brandywell, AJ and of course Yeti for getting me through it!!! O0
In it for the socials

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:27:45, 02/07/11 »
Well done everyone.  Sounds as though you had a great day and for once the weather was on your side too.  O0
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:33:35, 02/07/11 »
A grand day out and nice to meet old and new friends. Really enjoyable - The Langdales and the weather helped as well. I'll be posting a few pictures later on, including the 'Jacks Rake' completion certificate presented to Swampy by AJ. A very big well done to all who completed the rake - some interesting climbing techniques displayed yesterday - including the 'Amoeba' and the 'Worm' O0

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:50:33, 02/07/11 »
That just looks like a fantastic day out - sometimes wish I lived a bit closer to that sort of walking. Thanks for sharing and glad to hear AJ is looking after his gnashers
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: 12:51:52, 02/07/11 »
Nice report and pics guys. I was looking forward to this and not disappointed. Thanks.

AJ where did those legs last see the sun. Whitey from Blighty  ;D
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:03:29, 02/07/11 »
Fab TR and pics there! What a day! I have to say when we reached the rake my bowels started to gripe a bit :-\  but I turned round to see AJ flossing his teeth??*?!! As always, when faced with terror AJ always has a way of bringing humour and calm to a situation. ;D O0  Top day with brilliant company as always. Great to meet some new peeps too. What a bunch! O0  I am sooo achy this morning and my knees are well bruised ( just like old days but instead of hills there was alcohol).
Thanks to Brandywell, AJ and of course Yeti for getting me through it!!! O0

I thought it was only me that had bruises all over his knees and shins.

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:03:55, 02/07/11 »
- some interesting climbing techniques displayed yesterday - including the 'Amoeba' and the 'Worm' O0

;D ;D ;D

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:14:16, 02/07/11 »
I didnt have time to post all the pics this morning. So here are some of the rest.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:17:53, 02/07/11 »
I thought that was going to be a trio of Brucies for a minute. You don't see a Brucie for ages, then 3 come along, but my eyes were deceiving me.

The sheep look like they are waiting for Robbie Williams to perform - they are (nearly) all facing the same way.

Great pics of a great day out. O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:51:53, 02/07/11 »
This looks like a fab day out! well done all and thanks for the pics  O0

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:17:11, 02/07/11 »
Brill pics and Report  O0 O0 O0
Done 5 times enjoyed  every time. We tried one time but packed in there was water comming down just like a river  :) 

Did the Collie climb thr Rake  :o :) 

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:18:49, 02/07/11 »
AJ presents Swampy with her completion certificate.... O0

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:34:06, 02/07/11 »
 ;D ;D 
Work to live, live to walk