Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292311 times)

Litehiker

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #915 on: 01:15:11, 21/11/19 »
Well, this may not qualify directly as "walking kit" but my recent purchase of a 2019 MAZDA CX 5 2.5 L. turbo with AWD will get me to the trailhead for hiking, backpacking and backcountry skiing. It sure beats the 2013 Toyota Prius v wagon I had previous to the CX 5.

The AWD is a big plus in snowy mountain conditions here in Nevada and in Colorado and Utah where I ski.

Included in that purchase is a Yakama cartop carrier box to increase cargo space and keep snowy skis out of the inside but also out of the salty and destructive snowy/slushy road spray.

Here in the US many outdoors people consider a "crossover" vehicle like mine with AWD to be a part of their outdoor gear. Yeah, the CX 5 ain't an "off road" vehicle but with the proper All Terrain or snow tires (tyres?;o) it can go through fairly deep snow. And with chains on the front wheels it does it even better.

Eric B.

Sonatine

« Reply #916 on: 17:04:41, 25/11/19 »
New backpack - Montane Trailblazer 44. Had a 40L exped backpack, but not enough pocketses for my requirements. All appears good, just need to take it out on a test run. Lighter than my exped too I think.

Hadrian

« Reply #917 on: 17:22:16, 25/11/19 »
New daypack - Osprey Daylite Plus 20L.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #918 on: 18:20:17, 26/11/19 »
After thinking and thinking and dithering as well I finally decided to buy an Alpkit Dream down duvet to compliment my sleeping quilt. Didn't work, they are out of stock!

Mark101

« Reply #919 on: 11:12:07, 02/12/19 »
OS Maps - 12 month subscription for online access and mobile phone app here in the UK
Walking for relaxation

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #920 on: 14:08:47, 03/12/19 »
Backcountry app, (£14.99) for a one-off payment OS maps 'forever!'

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #921 on: 14:52:32, 03/12/19 »
A pair of Rohan Dry Frontier waterproof trousers. Bring on the rain!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #922 on: 15:58:28, 03/12/19 »
How is it going. What are the differences between Backcountry and the OS mapping App.?Anything better or anything worse would you say.?
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Hadrian

« Reply #923 on: 16:02:54, 03/12/19 »
OS Maps - 12 month subscription for online access and mobile phone app here in the UK

I was looking at the 12 months auto renewal option for £23.99. Is that the most cost-effective option?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #924 on: 16:09:03, 03/12/19 »
Are you sure?

I read it as TOPO maps for Android OS.
Garmin also uses TOPO maps which get badly pixelated when trying to zoom in etc.

Hope I'm wrong and that it is truly OS maps because then the prices on other apps may drop if OS are willing to allow their stuff out at that price. Seems strange that they would undercut themselves by so much.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #925 on: 16:25:36, 03/12/19 »
2 micro sd cards for mapping on my Garmin Oregon 600. Too many maps for the 16 gb I had til now.
It's all uphill from here.

Pitboot

« Reply #926 on: 16:54:43, 03/12/19 »
A Fjallraven Keb jacket, discounted through black Friday or some such ****. Yes, it's not waterproof but it's perfect for my needs. Small tip when searching on line, don't just check "sporting goods" or "hiking gear", look at some of the fashion sites as outdoor gear seems to be in vogue at the moment.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #927 on: 17:56:33, 03/12/19 »
Are you sure?

I read it as TOPO maps for Android OS.
Garmin also uses TOPO maps which get badly pixelated when trying to zoom in etc.

Hope I'm wrong and that it is truly OS maps because then the prices on other apps may drop if OS are willing to allow their stuff out at that price. Seems strange that they would undercut themselves by so much.

I guess the OS stands for Open Source maps in this case rather than Ordnance Survey.

Years ago I downloaded a version of Viewranger complete with a wide range of open source maps, completely free.

Not used it for ages (it was an Android app, not got Android phone now) but the maps were pretty good.

Hadrian

« Reply #928 on: 18:15:57, 03/12/19 »
Arc’teryx Atom LT hoody, bought during the Cotswold Outdoors Black Friday 20% discount promotion.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #929 on: 18:25:33, 03/12/19 »
For me, not a purchase but a gift. A Rab Microlight was offered to me but I decided that for my hiking it wasn't necessary, but although I explained this my son and his wife they have decided otherwise.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy