Author Topic: Fellbarrow (Mosser Fell) to Low Fell  (Read 703 times)

photonut

Fellbarrow (Mosser Fell) to Low Fell
« on: 10:43:02, 23/01/18 »
Having just spent last Saturday in the Lakes walking a few fells it has really given me the push to keep going back now - driving up early doors on the Saturday morning then leaving once the day light fades.  All in all about 4hrs driving for what I can only perceive as the most stunning countryside I have ever set eyes upon.... so it's worth it!

Holme Fell

Anyway, I'm keeping to the lower hills (approx 500m max) until spring and I have planned to walk (among others) from Fellbarrow (Mosser Fell) to Low Fell.  Having looked at the map and knowing just how 'boggy and soggy' the ground may be I wondered if anyone can shed any light on whether the ground is as bad as the map indicates and if it is easy enough to get around the marshy areas between these two fells?

(I've almost perfected Ridges' method of negotiating said ground by stepping lightly, waving my arms around but not quite got the quacking bit tho  :D  I'd rather avoid the marshy areas if at all possible)

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Lee

« Last Edit: 11:06:06, 23/01/18 by photonut »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Fellbarrow (Mosser Fell) to Low Fell
« Reply #1 on: 11:09:57, 23/01/18 »
Lovely pic Lee :)   Is that your shadow in the pic?  So annoying when that happens!lol

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 11:30:45, 23/01/18 »
Lovely pic Lee :)   Is that your shadow in the pic?  So annoying when that happens!lol

Tracey :)

Ha, yes it is, I couldn't think of a way to take the pic without it.  It was quite late in the day and the sun was not far from setting, this was the other direction:

Towards Coniston (with a spooky looking green orb following me  ???  )

Stunning part of the world... especially when you get a fell to yourself  :)
« Last Edit: 11:41:11, 23/01/18 by photonut »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:45:08, 23/01/18 »
I've almost perfected Ridges' method of negotiating said ground by stepping lightly, waving my arms around but not quite got the quacking bit tho  :D  I'd rather avoid the marshy areas if at all possible)
Keep practicing!

I've not done them at this time of year but when we were last there the boggy bits were easily avoidable as there are higher areas that you can stick to.

Lovely little hills, great views and you will probably have them to yourself.

photonut

« Reply #4 on: 11:49:42, 23/01/18 »
I've not done them at this time of year but when we were last there the boggy bits were easily avoidable as there are higher areas that you can stick to.

Lovely little hills, great views and you will probably have them to yourself.

Nice one, thank you Ridge  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:14:54, 23/01/18 »
Fellbarrow to Low Fell is a lovely walk, it isn't that bad for wet boggy stuff, there is a lot worse in the LD, we camped there in between the fells a few months ago, it was fab  O0
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #6 on: 18:04:58, 23/01/18 »
Fellbarrow to Low Fell is a lovely walk, it isn't that bad for wet boggy stuff, there is a lot worse in the LD, we camped there in between the fells a few months ago, it was fab  O0

Thank you April.  I was just going off the OS map which indicates marshy areas in between them and also on the western approach to Fellbarrow.  I'm still unsure of the best route at the moment... either park adjacent to Loweswater in layby or find somewhere near Thackthwaite and take the path from the east.

I'm really looking forward to the walk now :)

Thanks for your help.. much appreciated.
Cheers
Lee

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy