Author Topic: Handheld GPS devices  (Read 5410 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Handheld GPS devices
« Reply #15 on: 11:29:48, 19/04/18 »

For me, I believe there are sufficient reasons to keep the two units separate.
Phones for phoning. and navigators for navigating.

(My SatMap GPS even has a red filter for night hikes - so your night vision is not destroyed)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:55:58, 19/04/18 »
Problem with SatMap is that you're restricted to their maps.  A Garmin GPS can be loaded with numerous other free and paid for maps  O0
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:24:21, 19/04/18 »

Agreed, but when you get the GPS unit and the whole of the UK maps at 1:50,000 OS Landranger (identical to the 'normal' paper maps)
Showing all footpaths, contours etc etc for £70 all in, for me its not a big problem.

If you want to go down to 1:25,000 then yes - you need to buy their maps but their 'county' maps at £30 ish are 'not over the top'.

I managed to find a second hand 'Platimum' SD card (on ebay) that has from Liverpool to Hull and everywhere South at a scale of 1:25,000, and 1:10,000 (selectable) for £70

https://www.satmap.com/gb-platinum-south.html

I am not suggesting my choice was the best option, but as a 1st GPS, on a budget., it seems to 'tick all the boxes' for me.

Other choices are available.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:27:56, 19/04/18 »
Agreed, but when you get the GPS unit and the whole of the UK maps at 1:50,000 OS Landranger (identical to the 'normal' paper maps) showing all footpaths, contours etc etc for £70 all in, for me its not a big problem.

Second hand I assume otherwise you got a real bargain  ;D

New the GB edition from SatMap is an eye watering £400 ...
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:31:34, 19/04/18 »

Second hand I assume otherwise you got a real bargain  ;D

Yes - 2nd hand - and there are quite a few more on ebay at similar prices with similar SD cards / maps. (I posted a link earlier in the thread)

eg :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112940786402?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

juant

« Reply #20 on: 22:29:29, 19/04/18 »
Hi all I have been reading your latest posting with interest (and a great deal of confusion!). It seems there is a lot more to take into account when considering which is the best way to proceed so a lot more patience and research is required methinks!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:24:43, 19/04/18 »
For me, I believe there are sufficient reasons to keep the two units separate.
Phones for phoning. and navigators for navigating.

(My SatMap GPS even has a red filter for night hikes - so your night vision is not destroyed)

That's just as much an argument for buying a £10 old style mobile for calling and keeping the smartphone for GPS.

I got the Viewranger OS maps for the national parks for £10. Only 1:50k but has been a real bargain. I've had solid use out of it.

My phone can be annoying I'm the rain mind.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:32:28, 19/04/18 »

That's just as much an argument for buying a £10 old style mobile for calling and keeping the smartphone for GPS.

I got the Viewranger OS maps for the national parks for £10. Only 1:50k but has been a real bargain. I've had solid use out of it.

My phone can be annoying I'm the rain mind.

I don't disagree - different options will suit different folks.

For £70 the SD card covered the exact same area as 200 Explorer (1:25,000) maps and 95 Landranger 1:50,000 maps.

(I paid £5.50 for a single 1:50,000 paper Landranger map at Millets)

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:19:08, 20/04/18 »
Does anyone have experience of using the new on-line system produced by the O.S.?
Annual fee for using and printing off the maps required  and for uploading to the various devices.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:08:31, 20/04/18 »
Does anyone have experience of using the new on-line system produced by the O.S.?
Annual fee for using and printing off the maps required  and for uploading to the various devices.

Yes I use it and find it very good.You can easily plot and print from a PC.
Using the app on my android phone I have access to 1.25 maps of the whole country and can retrieve pre saved routes and follow them.Its best to download off line maps of the area you want to walk in if like us a lot of remote areas have no phone signal.
One sub can be used on 4 devices so the cost could even be split.
I believe they do a free trial to try it(could be wrong about that)

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:43:12, 20/04/18 »
Thanks for that reply.
Yes, I am looking at a seven day trial of the premium version at home.  To me it seems easier perhaps to use than the programs of the Basecamp that come with the Garmin devices and has a load of interesting features.
Something like nearly thirty pounds for a years subscription.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:32:12, 20/04/18 »
Depends what you need to do with it.  BaseCamp is the only program that meets my needs, which is to be able to plan routes for both handheld and automobile devices for not only UK but throughout Europe, using both Garmin and other mapping, with an easy link into Google Earth O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:44:36, 20/04/18 »
I use both BaseCamp and the OS online mapping tool as well as Google Earth.  I like the fact that I can look at other people's routes on the OS tool as a source of ideas and I get the latest 25k mapping of the whole of the UK for a fixed annual fee. However, I would criticise the fact that you cannot see more than one trace at a time and printing of hard copy maps is fairly dire - a lot of paper is wasted by poor margins and you seem to have no control of when the print switches from 25k to 50k mapping  as you zoom out.  The "snap to path" feature for planning in National Parks is a neat idea but don't get caught out by the fact that this generates way too many waypoints for direct export to a handheld device (mine has a limit of 250 per route).  The other feature it lacks is its inability to import .kml files from Google Earth.

I like the compatibility of BaseCamp with .kml files which is invaluable for planning in areas where there are many paths not shown on OS maps. I also find the printing of hard copy maps is superior to the OS app. It is also useful for converting routes generated by the OS tool to something a Garmin can cope with in terms of waypoints. On the other hand, to print off an OS map in BaseCamp means downloading Birdseye imagery which comes at a cost, although this can be minimised by customising the area downloaded.  I appreciate the compatibility of BaseCamp with Open Source Mapping, which is also a useful planning tool, and can avoid the cost of downloading mapping if you don't mind using a non OS map to navigate. Moreover BaseCamp is compatible with foreign mapping e.g. Kompass which I use for walking in Austria.
Solvitur Ambulando

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 15:23:39, 20/04/18 »

I don't disagree - different options will suit different folks.

For £70 the SD card covered the exact same area as 200 Explorer (1:25,000) maps and 95 Landranger 1:50,000 maps.

(I paid £5.50 for a single 1:50,000 paper Landranger map at Millets)

At that price it's well worth it

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:25:53, 20/04/18 »
I cancelled my subscription to O S mapping and got a refund due to the poor printing options.
It's all uphill from here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy