Author Topic: Stickle Tarn to Sergeant Man  (Read 1172 times)

RedKMan

Stickle Tarn to Sergeant Man
« on: 21:05:54, 26/04/18 »
Hi,

Last year I hiked Dungeon Gill - Stickle Tarn - Sergeant Man - High Raise - Harrison Stickle - Pike of Stickle - descent via Mark Gate.  I am looking at repeating this year but one problem section I had was from stickle tarn to Sergeant Man.  On the map there is a nice green coloured path starting on the far right of the tarn which arc's left towards Sergeant Man.  I could not see this path at all on the ground and it looked like pure marsh land so I ended up taking one of the black coloured paths heading towards Blea Rigg (which I don't plan on visiting) and went off path to eventually get to Sergeant Man.

Does anyone have any clear directions on this section or advice on which path to take because the maps and GPS at the time did not help at all.  I'm trying to be better prepared this time around.

Thanks.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Stickle Tarn to Sergeant Man
« Reply #1 on: 21:54:39, 26/04/18 »

Green lines only represent rights of way. There's not necessarily a path on the ground. Actual paths are shown by the fainter black dashed lines.
Looking at the map, I see what you mean. If I was heading to SM from ST I'd first track round to the left after ST and ascend Pavey Ark. Then head for Thunacar Knott, and thence on to SM. The paths that way are much clearer IIRC..

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 08:31:21, 27/04/18 »
RedKMan,

If you have an OS subscription then have a look at the aerial views around Stickle Tarn, if not, then try google aerial views to spot the paths and plot a trace for your GPS.

There are lot of paths around the Stickle Tarn area.

Cheers
Lee

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:51:21, 02/05/18 »
I was up there a couple of weeks ago.

There are various paths along the broad ridge of Blea Rigg but they are not particularly clear.

The walk from Stickle Tarn to Sergeant Man is pretty straightforward IMO.

If the weather is clear you can see the destination for much of the way. Walk round the east side of the tarn then follow Bright Beck (the feeder stream) north until it forks - follow the east (right hand) branch due north for a mile or so and you're there.

If it's foggy, take a bearing and walk on the needle.

Much of the Blea Rigg ridge can be a bit wet underfoot but it's certainly not a marsh.

Just follow your nose and don't be too worried about paths - you'll be fine   :)
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy