Author Topic: Blisters  (Read 4395 times)

RogerA

Blisters
« on: 09:14:39, 08/05/18 »
I've never had a problem with blisters so not something I know a great deal about. My 15 year old daughter though came back from her DOE bronze expedition trial at the weekend with some, lots of little ones on both little toes and one the size of a penny on the side of the sole just below the big toe.

I'd sent her with compeed, which she used and says was brilliant.

I do however wonder what, if anything, can be done to help prevent blisters in future. Are they a sign of badly fitting boots, too much weight, or just something that happens? She was wearing hi tec mid height waliking boots with light merino walking socks so I think that was reasonable footwear. Her pack was heavier than I was happy with but I got down to 13kg (after removing 3.5kg superfluous chocolate & assorted snacks - she still brought home lots of spare food).

Any advice would be very welcome.

dartmoorrambler

Re: Blisters
« Reply #1 on: 09:22:55, 08/05/18 »
Blisters are often the result of boots not being laced tightly enough to stop the foot moving in the boot.
Each time the laces cross, wrap the laces round each other to hold each part of the foot in place.

But new boots have to be broken in, so that foot and boot mould to each other,  and feet have to be toughened up by regular walking.

RogerA

« Reply #2 on: 09:39:16, 08/05/18 »
Thanks for the advice about lacing - I'll have a look with her next weekend once her feet have recovered.

The boots should be broken in; shes walked about 150 miles with me in them over the past few months, also being part leather part mesh rather than full leather my understanding is they need less breaking in.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:49:53, 08/05/18 »

Try 2 pairs of socks ( one thin liner pair)
Boots blister stick (Though I'm sure Vaseline would work just as well)
Taking your boots off when you stop for lunch and letting the air get to your feet.  Even better, stick them in a stream to cool down.
I do all these, but I'm not sure which is, or are, the bits that work.  But I used to suffer badly from blisters, and I haven't had one for years.
A lot of people swear by 1000 mile socks, but I've never really got on with them.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:31:43, 08/05/18 »
Try 2 pairs of socks ( one thin liner pair)

That really is the best bit of advice.  I started using two pairs of socks early in my walking 'career' and have only rarely had blisters  O0
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:49:17, 08/05/18 »
Gettng the boots/ socks "right" is most likely the most important bit as others have said.

But there are a few other "tricks" that help a fair bit.

Back of my heels tend to blister when breaking in new boots, so I often tape that known sensitive area with zinc oxide tape if doing a long walk in new boots. In general, if anybody does have a known problem area, taping it up before walk usually works well.

For problem areas that are difficult to tape securely, lanacane anti-chafing gel works fairly well. (I'm sure there are other similar equally good products!)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:56:41, 08/05/18 »

50 years ago when I started doing LDW's it was suggested that for a few weeks before the planned walk it would be beneficial to give my feet a daily rub over with surgical spirit (dabbed onto cotton-wool, and wiped over the soles and 'at risk' areas for blisters).

It certainly worked for me and after that 1st LDW (Pennine Way in 14 days) I never needed to repeat the treatment, and never had a blister (until recently after purchasing a pair of boots from Go Outdoors).

There maybe more 'modern methods' but it worked for me.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:02:17, 08/05/18 »
Vaseline seems to work - never had blisters with it but who is to say I would have got them if I hadn’t used it? Only use this method for multi day hikes.

Best other advice I have is that compeed are not blister plasters. They are before you’ve got a blister plasters! Apply at the first sign of rubbing/hotness.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:49:37, 08/05/18 »
It may be as simple as the toe box of her boots not being wide enough for her feet when carrying a heavy pack.

The boots may fit OK when carrying a normal daypack weight but carrying a heavier pack will cause her toes to spread slightly wider and come into contact with the sides of the toe box causing the blisters.

Depending on the boot it may be possible to have the boot  stretched/eased slightly in the toe box area using a rubbing bar as shown in this Cotswold Outdoor YouTube video (see around 3:34 onwards) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zaZqeZadc

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:50:17, 08/05/18 »
 Treat the onset of a blister before it turns nasty.Awareness of how your feet are feeling is the key.I should imagine your daughter's lack of experience caught her out and she treated the area of skin too late.Its just a learning curve and she will probably do better next time.

Boots that are too narrow could cause blisters on both little toes.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:13:17, 08/05/18 »
With the higher than average daily mileage that I do I pre-tape my feet with Leuko Tape. A bit messy when taking socks off as the adhesive is quite strong and can wick through to the socks, but washes off ok. The paper tape that comes in the Duo pack is very good to use on ti's own and I have covered some serious mile with just that. rarely get blisters since starting to tape. Previously also good was pure Lanolin but this really is messy.
I used to wear two pairs of good thick socks when I wore boots all the time, but as my feet have become larger due to long distance walking I have switched to a single pair which with the taping works very well.
Just a note re lacing, locking off laces is useful but don't tie them too tight, because what may feel ok when tying them may quickly feel tight across the top of the arch. If this is not addressed quickly, shin splints can develop. If anything slightly loose boots/shoes are better than over tight ones.
The fact that some of the blisters were on the toes - if at the front of the toes that would indicate toes hitting the front - too small footwear.
If blisters are on top of the toe joints that would indicate that the toes are arching to grip the sole of the boot and rubbing on the inner top - too much room in the boot.
Socks with a lot of merino wool, I have found can be abrasive so look for that too.

mow1701

« Reply #11 on: 20:34:09, 08/05/18 »
I use zinc tape on toes I’ve historically got blisters on, my heel and then Vaseline between boots. However linking to elsewhere since I’ve gone on Altberg boots my feet do better due to better fitting boots.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:28:56, 10/05/18 »
A heavy pack defo makes a difference as does different terrain.

Could easily be poor fitting boots. You can get away with a slightly bad fit on flat terrain, easier walks and lighter packs but the same ones on long, hard stony walks with a big pack can show up the problems.

Personally I'd say two pairs of socks are better with the inner ones being thin and made of something quite soft like merino, preferably not "walking socks" but just plain, thin office type socks with limited seams - like these: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/MERINO-Quality-Length-Vitsocks-Classic/dp/B013GD9ZLM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1525969457&sr=8-9&keywords=merino+socks

And then the walking socks on top - they can be chunkier if required and made of whatever is suitable for the weather. Chunky walking socks against the skin can be asking for trouble IME.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:45:16, 10/05/18 »
Another here who swears by two pairs of socks.  Cotton sports socks under decent wool walking socks.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 00:14:05, 11/05/18 »
Double socks. Nowadays bamboo base and merino top layer. I rub in a mixture of olive oil and t tree oil on my feet each evening and morning and tape up a dodgy toe at the start of each day.
I also visit a chiropodist regularly who takes off all hard skin and keeps my nails short. (Due to the fact that I can no longer reach my toes over a belly which miraculously appeared over the years)

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy