Author Topic: Blisters  (Read 4376 times)

Peter

• Veteran Member
Re: Blisters
« Reply #15 on: 07:17:09, 11/05/18 »
Plenty of relevant advice to which I will add two suggestions.
Before she goes walking dab her feet with surgical spirits. This will harden the outer layers. Just toughens the skin up.
On the day, sudocrem rubbed onto the skin will ease any hot spots. Not just the feet actually, anywhere subject to sweating.
Both work very effectively.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:43:40, 11/05/18 »
My blister period ended when I bought ladies boots. This was my cure, I've gone through three pairs of boots since then without a twinge, except that oddly, I developed a blister under each of my feet the day before yesterday.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:40:15, 12/05/18 »
Double socks. Nowadays bamboo base and merino top layer. I rub in a mixture of olive oil and t tree oil on my feet each evening and morning and tape up a dodgy toe at the start of each day.
I also visit a chiropodist regularly who takes off all hard skin and keeps my nails short. (Due to the fact that I can no longer reach my toes over a belly which miraculously appeared over the years)

Doesn't the hard skin help then? I've avoifav removing mine because of thst

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:24:34, 12/05/18 »
I also visit a chiropodist regularly who takes off all hard skin and keeps my nails short.

Same here.... Though I do cut my own nails! 

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:29:39, 12/05/18 »
Hard skin does not help at all.
Blisters are caused by sheering between layers of skin and/or friction on the surface.
What little studies there are show less sheering takes place where all layers of skin are soft.
Friction more frequently happens on tops and sides of toes and heels. So well fitting boots and padding (by way of decent socks) can stop that.The wearing of two pairs of socks is so that the sheering takes place between layers of socks before it gets to the skin.

There are some decent studies carried out by the Armed forces, US studies  are public. Also look up studies on bed sores which are much the same. Plenty of protection , keeping feet dry, soften with cream or oil .
Oh and luck, because sometimes you just get blisters because they like to hang around walkers and hikers for the company.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:35:41, 12/05/18 »
I too belive that soft pliable skin is better than hard inflexible skin. Hard skin can crack which would suggest to me that damage can easily occur. For the first times for ages, I recently had a blister under each foot. It took me by susprise, I'd gone for such a long time without that type of worry. I did a good study of my boots in daylight yesterday and I think I may have found the answer to my difficulty. It comes under the heading of complacency. I noticed more than 2 years back that the outer edges of my soles, especially the left one, were wearing down faster that the rest of the boot sole areas. I drew the conclusion at the time, that I wasn't walking neutrally in my walking style, my feet were always tilting a bit to one side. To hlp me me, I cut the inner sole lengthways of an old trainer insert and placed each half underneath the outer edge of my Sorbothane inserts. As I studied my boots this time I realised that they were no longer there and I'd hiked without realising it. I can't remember doing it, but at some point going back to last September, I must have taken the inserts out and then only put back the Sorbothanes. The purpose of my half trainer inserts was to help tilt my feet back to a neutral position which for a long time for me, worked extremley well.

The only other problem that I could see was that my 'expensive' socks had compressed little bunches of wool about the size of a matchhead on the inner sole base area of my socks. Maybe this didn't help my feet either?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:30:37, 12/05/18 »
The only other problem that I could see was that my 'expensive' socks had compressed little bunches of wool about the size of a matchhead on the inner sole base area of my socks. Maybe this didn't help my feet either?

I get that but on the heel of my socks.  I just snip the bobbles off with nail scissors from time to time.  Ironically, my Aldi socks don't seem to bobble up like that but my Bridgedales do  :-\

dank86

« Reply #22 on: 22:29:06, 12/05/18 »
I'd look in to other lacing techniques as well as socks. I switched the way I tie me boots and don't get blisters any more. Lots of videos on YouTube

Toxicbunny

« Reply #23 on: 15:33:28, 16/05/18 »
I swear by compede plasters. I had issues with blisters when I got my new boots on an 8 mile walk. I always carry a pack with me  I managed the walk fine when I used them.

MichaelUK

« Reply #24 on: 13:12:19, 17/05/18 »
A good way to deal with blsters - E 45 cream, or something similar, mix with lots of salt and lather onto the blister. This will drain the blister very quickly. Works by osmosis.

RogerA

« Reply #25 on: 13:26:59, 17/05/18 »
My daughter picked up her blisters less than 2 weeks ago - now they're not only gone but a dim distant memory.
The joys of being young and healing quickly  :)
Thanks all for your advice and suggestions - I certainly know a lot more about blisters now  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:24:33, 17/05/18 »
Here’s a new one. I seem to have a phantom blister. It came on 3 days ago while I was out in sandals and got worse after a walk in boots 2 days ago. It feels like it is forming on the top of my foot where the sandal strap crossed but when I look there is nothing there - no reddening of the skin, no marks I can see at all, but it feels like a blister is forming. Went out hiking today with a plaster on the “blister” and it felt fine. Got back, took the plaster off and it is back!
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:34:50, 17/05/18 »
Try rubbing some Arnica into the area it may just be a minor friction burn rather than a full blown blister.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy