Author Topic: Tilley Hats  (Read 9772 times)

Chris954

Re: Tilley Hats
« Reply #30 on: 16:24:18, 22/05/18 »
Can you let us know what you think of it.

only worn it for one (hot)  day so far and first impressions are very comfortable, it lets plenty of air in to cool your head but I would want to try it slogging up Kinder on a hot day before I say its fantastic. The brim is big enough to keep your face/neck and ears out of the sun and the straps look like theyre going to keep it on in  the wind. Are they worth £80? if you can afford it easily then yes but its a lot of money for a hat even though it has a lifetime guarantee. Having said that theres plenty of testimonials online as to how tough they are and the two year insurance against loss is something different.

Pitboot

« Reply #31 on: 12:19:40, 23/05/18 »
I have to grow a ponytail to wear one?! Well I suppose the law is the law

Or your man-bun. ::)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:13:25, 23/05/18 »
I do like the look of those Tarp Hats I must say.

I can't bring myself Tilley hat

FOX160

« Reply #33 on: 18:13:38, 03/06/18 »

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:56:28, 03/06/18 »
Years ago, bout 12, I had one of these and it was very good. Got to much abuse when I started wearing it for work. https://www.campingworld.co.uk/Mobile/en/White-Rock-Outback-X-Lite-Micro-Fibre-Adjustable-Vent--Hat-STONE/m-m-5604.aspx

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 19:59:30, 03/06/18 »
What about the good old British Gumby hathttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumbys
Too little, too late, too bad......

Deolman

« Reply #36 on: 13:00:14, 05/06/18 »
Recently brought a Tilley Hat.  First walk in the rain when my glasses have not become waterlogged and reduced visibility almost to zero.  Expensive but well worth it just to be able to read my map in the rain!

sbt

« Reply #37 on: 18:09:25, 05/06/18 »
I wear a sealskinz baseball cap all year round.
« Last Edit: 18:12:59, 05/06/18 by sbt »

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:09:51, 06/06/18 »
Recently brought a Tilley Hat.  First walk in the rain when my glasses have not become waterlogged and reduced visibility almost to zero.  Expensive but well worth it just to be able to read my map in the rain!

Can you tell me which model Tilly hat did you buy that protected your glasses from the rain please.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 17:47:42, 06/06/18 »
At over £60, i feel i can find better value headgear.
Well made, but at £60 and above i would expect it to be.
« Last Edit: 19:30:43, 06/06/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Deolman

« Reply #40 on: 17:50:41, 06/06/18 »
Mine was the T3 Wanderer but I would imagine that any hat with a wide brim and sits low on the head would do the same job.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 22:16:11, 28/07/18 »

only worn it for one (hot)  day so far and first impressions are very comfortable, it lets plenty of air in to cool your head but I would want to try it slogging up Kinder on a hot day before I say its fantastic. The brim is big enough to keep your face/neck and ears out of the sun and the straps look like theyre going to keep it on in  the wind. Are they worth £80? if you can afford it easily then yes but its a lot of money for a hat even though it has a lifetime guarantee. Having said that theres plenty of testimonials online as to how tough they are and the two year insurance against loss is something different.

With the recent heat do you think the cooling pad in the top of the hat has made any difference According to their web site it says "Keeping cool - the HyperKewl™ Evaporative cooling material absorbs & slowly releases water through evaporation to help ‘super charge’ the body’s natural cooling process"

Or is it just hype and not worth the extra cost?

These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 23:02:05, 28/07/18 »
Tried a few on recently in the Lakes as I like the look when others wear them.

But they just don’t suit me, and it didn’t help when my wife laughed  ::)

I’ll stick with the baseball cap  :-\
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 10:02:35, 29/07/18 »
Had one for years. They are great. I don't like baseball caps because they leave your ears exposed. My father developed skin cancer on the top of an ear. It's an area of exposure people forget.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 10:20:12, 29/07/18 »
I tried one on in Cardiff last week, and the one i had on my head was retailing at £75.
It was well made, but not worth the money, and like most other cleverly marketed items of clothing, it was not good value for money.
Saying that though, they appear to be very popular, but for what your actually getting, their overpriced.

Ive found that my Inov8 Rain peak hat is just as effective for keeping both the sun and rain off your head, at considerable less expense.
I would be far more upset, if a hat i had paid over £70 got blown off my head onto a rock face that only a skilled rock climber could access.

A cheap hat, costing around £12 if lost, is not the end of the world, a very expensive one, however well made, getting blown away, would be unacceptable.

I will never forget the visit to the summit of Pen Y Fan, back in the 1980s, when very expensive Silva expedition sighting compass, new O/S map and case, got blown off its lanyard, towards Cwm Gwdi.

The lanyard stayed around my neck (goodness know how) and it was drawn through two very stout brass circular fasteners sealed into the stout plastic.

That has to be the strongest wind ive ever encountered anywhere in the mountains of Wales.

I never retrieved them, and even all those years ago, a top of the line Silva, was nearly £30, so i recon a hat costing serious money, is an item of kit i can do without.
« Last Edit: 19:06:18, 29/07/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy