Author Topic: Track recording device  (Read 4762 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Track recording device
« Reply #15 on: 08:46:00, 22/05/18 »
I don't very often bother with recording my track, after all I know where I've been. But, I thought you can turn down the number of recorded points per hour. I've done this with my in reach from every two minutes to every two hours, they charge per point. I thought viewranger did this as well, won't this save power?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:50:21, 22/05/18 »
I have a tablet. While it may last more than a day it doesn't if GPS is continually on and tracking, which is what is wanted.
Either spare batteries or a power pack are going to be needed to meet the initial requirement.

My tablet only uses about 15% of the battery using viewranger to record a route and to see where you are now and then. You need to switch the Wifi off though. I wont need spare batteries or a power bank this weekend for 3 days. If your tablet and battery are past their best this might not be the case, my old tablet wouldn't last a day without charging it.
Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:57:26, 22/05/18 »
Yes but for how long? The OP is talking about days continuous use it seems, not recording a walk each day.  If you have it on 24/7 would it really last 'for days'?  Mine wouldn't even when new  :-\

If on the other hand he wants to record a walk each day then yes, tablet, smartphone, GPS  should all do it.
« Last Edit: 09:00:37, 22/05/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:58:27, 22/05/18 »
I don't very often bother with recording my track, after all I know where I've been. But, I thought you can turn down the number of recorded points per hour. I've done this with my in reach from every two minutes to every two hours, they charge per point. I thought viewranger did this as well, won't this save power?

Not really.  The power mainly is used tracking the satellites and screen time.
Where there's a will ...

RogerA

« Reply #19 on: 16:53:57, 22/05/18 »
If you turn off bluetooth and wifi - then even though not using wifi or bluetooth this will save a lot of power. My (limited) understanding is that if turned on then the device will periodically use power checking to see whether there is a connection.
My well past its best Samsung S6 will easily last 48 hours with location tracking (using a simple trail recording app) & mobile data on but wifi and bluetooth off as long as I never do anything that turns the display on.

Of course if I start using the camera a lot with the brightness turned up high then this burns through the battery.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:02:45, 22/05/18 »

If you turn off bluetooth and wifi - then even though not using wifi or bluetooth this will save a lot of power. My (limited) understanding is that if turned on then the device will periodically use power checking to see whether there is a connection.
My well past its best Samsung S6 will easily last 48 hours with location tracking (using a simple trail recording app) & mobile data on but wifi and bluetooth off as long as I never do anything that turns the display on.

Of course if I start using the camera a lot with the brightness turned up high then this burns through the battery.

Are you saying that you cannot use it to navigate ?
(cannot have the screen switched on ?)

RogerA

« Reply #21 on: 17:12:26, 22/05/18 »

Are you saying that you cannot use it to navigate ?
(cannot have the screen switched on ?)
I tend not to mostly I remember where I'm going  O0
But yes if I need to use for navigation I need the screen.  :D I do however take 1001 photos every walk mostly of views I've photographed many times before - but perhaps not at that time of day with that light etc. etc. - thats what drains my battery. ... if only someone would invent some sort of camera that wasnt part of a phone ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:58:56, 22/05/18 »
I have a cheapo dedicated GPS phone.  All non-essential apps uninstalled.  Run ViewRanger in aeroplane mode to track my walk.  The screen is mostly off/locked but I do use it occasionally to spot-check where I am.  Once I'm done with that I switch the screen off/lock it again.

I would say I get probably about 16 to 20 hours out of one charge depending on ambient temperature.  For me that equates to 2 or 3 days.  I carry a portable charger (about the size of a packet of 10 cigs!) which will charge it another 2 times.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:20:27, 22/05/18 »
I use a tracker app (Real time Tracker GPS 2) so my wife knows where I am. The agreement is that if, in the day I don't move in 12 hours, (unless I've reported in) to assume I've fallen off a cliff, I'm somewhere in a ravine, been attacked by wolves, lions or tigers, or I'm just nursing a bad hang over. It was also useful when I walked the GR10 in France when I raised some money for our local hospital, da Vinci Robot fund, so anyone who wanted to, could check where I actually was and to confirm to themselves that I wasn't sunning myself on a beach somewhere else.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:23:58, 22/05/18 »

.................. so anyone who wanted to, could check where I actually was and to confirm to themselves that I wasn't sunning myself on a beach somewhere else.

But, in reality, it just showed that your GPS / Tracker was where it 'should be' and not sunning itself on a beach somewhere.

Barnoe

« Reply #25 on: 10:50:15, 28/05/18 »
Maybe not the answer your looking for but :D

I use a Samsung S9+ phone and Viewranger
If on long walk i combine it with a Power Monkey solar charger.

I walk during the day with the small solar panel on the top of my rucksack with phone in pocket.
at night when i setup camp i remove the charged battery from the solar panel and use the lead to charge my phone
back to 100%
rinse and repeat, i did this on the pennine way and never had a flat battery once (Older phone then though, only had the S9 a few months.. principle is the same though)

scottk

« Reply #26 on: 07:50:42, 30/05/18 »
Suunto Ambit 3 peak. In the least accurate (1per minute) mode, the battery lasts about 200 hours (rechargeable). I use mine to pre plot routes which you can follow as a line on the screen and it will record tracks and activity too. Give location and does a multitude of other things but that is what I use mine for 99% of the time.
Not cheap but they are available discounted or get one from eBay or CEX. It does need to be a peak version for the extended battery life though.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:12:34, 30/05/18 »
I have a cheapo dedicated GPS phone.  All non-essential apps uninstalled.  Run ViewRanger in aeroplane mode to track my walk.  The screen is mostly off/locked but I do use it occasionally to spot-check where I am.  Once I'm done with that I switch the screen off/lock it again.

I would say I get probably about 16 to 20 hours out of one charge depending on ambient temperature.  For me that equates to 2 or 3 days.  I carry a portable charger (about the size of a packet of 10 cigs!) which will charge it another 2 times.
Ditto. I also have a small solar portable charger which I can keep connected to the phone so that it keeps the " GPS" phone charged up fully. I can top up this charger fromm mains also (cafes, pubs etc).  I have a larger solar charger that opens up and slings onto my rucksack, which i only use if overnight camping for a few days as it wallops in much more charge than the small one. But it is a weight compromise as usual.
Too little, too late, too bad......

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:57:04, 01/06/18 »
Thanks for all the discussion and suggestions folks, I've been away a few days and will look into it soon.

Suunto Ambit 3 peak. In the least accurate (1per minute) mode, the battery lasts about 200 hours (rechargeable). I use mine to pre plot routes which you can follow as a line on the screen and it will record tracks and activity too. Give location and does a multitude of other things but that is what I use mine for 99% of the time.
Not cheap but they are available discounted or get one from eBay or CEX. It does need to be a peak version for the extended battery life though.
That sounds good, I'll definitely look at that one and report back.

terrypin

« Reply #29 on: 18:55:47, 01/06/18 »
As you know, I use an iPhone (6S+) with the Mem-Map app installed. But I do USE it. Navigation, recording the walk, my sole source of photos and videos, occasional phone calls, email and internet news checks, maybe the 1 pm Radio 4 news headlines, etc. I revel in having that much capability in one relatively small device.

But, of course, I'm lucky if I can finish a 10 mile walk (with stops, lunch, etc) before the Low Power warning comes up. So I carry a power pack. Over picnic lunch I recharge from that. Or charge while walking.

My pack is a few years old and called RAVpower, Model RP-PB19, and its capacity is 16,750 mAh. I see there's a range here:
https://tinyurl.com/yd4bzwwl [nofollow]
Of course, it's more weight to carry (mine is 320 gm), but I wouldn't be without it now.

Suunto Ambit3 Ambit 3 Peak Watch-Black by Suunto, £209.00 - £463.10
"Not cheap" indeed!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy