Author Topic: How bad should the weather be before you call a mountain climb off?  (Read 3094 times)

Nomad32

Just as a matter of interest what weather conditions would you consider too dangerous for an attempt at the summit?

Percy

• Veteran Member
I think you’re going to get ‘how long is a piece of string’ answers to this.

For most weather it’s entirely dependent on the route, your equipment, your experience and the specific conditions.

The only thing that would definitely make me head back to the valleys would be a severe thunderstorm.

I might change my route to do something more enjoyable if the weather was poor.

Me and a couple of others trimmed a few miles off an Eskdale round recently as it was chucking it down.

Nomad32

I don't mind a bit of sky wet but might think twice if there were lightning or a blizzard. I was just wandering if there was anyone with the thousand mile stair who would climb regardless of weather conditions

Whitby Mick

Just as a matter of interest what weather conditions would you consider too dangerous for an attempt at the summit?

If you have any doubts....................................don't go !

simple
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

www.our-coast-to-coast.weebly.com

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
I initially read this in conjunction with the current weather conditions and warning people to stay inside during 11-3. I guess maybe climbing in this hot weather may not be too bad but a long hard uphill walk all day might be?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Personally I wouldn’t do any long walk in UK once temperature above low twenties. Just don’t enjoy walking in those conditions.

In terms of wind, rain, cold in this country...can’t remember last time I called a walk off on those grounds. But clearly wouldn’t do a route in bad conditions that I judged to be dangerous.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Strong winds would definitely make me change my plan. If it's blowing hard at base level you just know it's going to be a great deal worse at height. It's no fun having it tearing at your clothes, sucking the breath out of you and constantly making you struggle to keep your balance.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I managed  around 10-12 miles of the rugged Rhinogs is what turned out to be 31C, but due to the very low humidity, i was able to cope with it and soldiered on, and experienced one of the most rewarding walks in Snowdonia ive had in many a year.
My Camelbak was full to capacity, and due to very low humidity in the low 40s the heat was bearable, and staying fully hydrated at all times, i rather enjoyed myself.

Yesterday i walked to Diffwys and back from Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr, and its only 22C here at the moment but with crippling 74% humidity it was far worse than 31C.

I rarely venture out in heavy rain or mist, not because i dislike such conditions, but because if a walk has majestic views, i want to be able to see them and enjoy them.

Its the extreme cold i dislike, and several weeks ago, i turned around and went home when the windchill from the Beast from the East curtailed a walk in the hills.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

There is no way that anyone can give a definitive answer to that question, Nomad; there are far too many variables:

- How high the route goes, and how long it is high.
- How exposed is the route.
- Are there viable escape routes, and how easy are these to follow in bad weather?
- Is there telephone coverage?
- Daylight hours - less room for error in the winter.
- The strength of your party - I would happily go out on my own in iffy conditions, but not with my 11 year old son.
- Is the weather improving or forecast to get worse?

Which summit do you have in mind, by the way?

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
To add to Richard's list there are also things which shouldn't make a difference but definitely do.

- How long have you been planning the walk
- How far have you traveled
- How long since you last had a decent walk or until you may next get out
- Have you had to coordinated your plans with other people

RogerA

Surely its not a question of how bad the weather is but rather is there serious risk to life / permanent injury. Weather will be one of the factors in that but only one.
I've never called mountain rescue but have called on the coastguard - on a beautiful calm sunny but not too hot day. (Not for myself - still gives me the occassional nightmare).

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Surely its not a question of how bad the weather is but rather is there serious risk to life / permanent injury.
I've not gone walking because the conditions were unpleasant even though I probably would have lived.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
A peice of string indeed.  Last period of sever cold weather we had in the SW, I put up a thread asking for people's thoughts, on my plan to deliberately head out on to Dartmoor in a 70mph blizzard, as a training exersize for future winter trips.

I planned the route to be as simple to retreat from as possible. Took a little more kit that I figured I could possibly need and enjoyed a satisfying, if freezing cold day. -22 wind chill.  I also learnt a good deal about my kit and it's limits, as well as my own, without ever being in any real danger,

So I think my answer to your question would be. Find your limits safely, if you can and dont exceed them unless you are forced to.  That way lies real danger.

Jim Parkin

If you have any doubts....................................don't go !

simple
Yup.  And listen to the least confident member of the group.  I have read lots of reports of accidents where the leader was too focussed on ticking off their book, and didn't see how much some of their group were struggling.

Jim Parkin

A peice of string indeed.  Last period of sever cold weather we had in the SW, I put up a thread asking for people's thoughts, on my plan to deliberately head out on to Dartmoor in a 70mph blizzard, as a training exersize for future winter trips.

I planned the route to be as simple to retreat from as possible. Took a little more kit that I figured I could possibly need and enjoyed a satisfying, if freezing cold day. -22 wind chill.  I also learnt a good deal about my kit and it's limits, as well as my own, without ever being in any real danger,

So I think my answer to your question would be. Find your limits safely, if you can and dont exceed them unless you are forced to.  That way lies real danger.
When it's snowing heavily, I tend to book the day off on holiday and play on the local hills.  They're quite challenging in blizzards when you can't stand up, but as I am on my own I also knew the simple retreet, and indeed have shortened the walk on several occasions.  I never felt in any danger, but did know that going on would have been pushing it more than I would have been comfortable with, given everything else. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy