Author Topic: Hardshell jackets  (Read 1069 times)

Deker

Hardshell jackets
« on: 11:56:46, 28/07/18 »
Looking for a hard shell jacket and the multitude to choose from is so confusing, I'm a keen hill walker and want something to stand up to some quite serious weather. Sort of settled on a choice between the Arcteryx Zeta AR or the Mountain Equipment Janak, I want this to be several year purchase so any views or alternatives would be gratefully received.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Hardshell jackets
« Reply #1 on: 12:28:24, 28/07/18 »
I've had several Mountain equipment jackets they are expensive but you get what you pay for, quality. One thing to watch out for is the fashion for making cloths slim fit - or "Active fit" - this is not as all helpful when you're trying to get it on over several layer in a blizzard. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:14:35, 28/07/18 »
It's not helpful at any time  ;D
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:50:56, 28/07/18 »
I'm sure the jacket that' mentioned is great but do we really get 'what we pay for', how do we go about fitting into this criteria? What sort of money are we talking about? I'm sure the words mean something but I'm never sure what? For me its the same as Brexit means Brexit, no deal is better than bad deal,etc, what is actually meant by these clumps of words? I've met lots of people over my hiking 'career' and I've heard lots of differing views, which I have compared and contrasted to my own ideas. Some people have found and they like some cheap products, some really cheap and consider them to be excellent, obviously some are not so good either or even downright rubbish. Likewise, some 'expensive' products may be good, may be excellant, but equally they can be poor in what they set out to achieve as well. For example 'expensive' boots, you would have thought if advertised as waterproof they would be waterproof and because of the money that you paid for them they would have resolved the most obvious problem of hiking, Blisters! In a capitalist world to get what we may want and to believe in what we have bought, we also, I believe have to acknowledge the power of marketing as well. It may look good in the photo, the presentation and in the description are first class but in use are they really really any good? Phones for example, some people are in love with brand names, go out and buy a £1000 Iphone but what can it do compared to one that maybe a quarter of the price? I don't know the answer, I freely admit this but all I have to go on is that most of my stuff has been replaced, both the cheap and the expensive. To date, 3 tents, (the 1st one leaked), 4 pairs of boots (2 pairs leaked) 2 sleeping bags, 3 rucksacks, 3 mattresses, 3 pairs of hiking sticks, baselayers, underwear (my M & S ones fell apart on one of my hikes) and so on. I have paid out what for me is top dollar and have kept my Paramo Alta 2, no complaints about this product (except its too heavy for the summer) and just love my Cumulus sleeping quilt and my Thermarest Neoair but some other stuff has really let me down. Last but not least, how does any of us judge how much to pay out to actually 'get what we pay for?' In my world I judge anything over £100 as in the expensive catagory, other might say its £200, perhaps £300 or more? Sorry to prattle on but sometimes I really like doing so.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:18:31, 28/07/18 »
At least when you do it's generally on topic  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:52:51, 28/07/18 »
I'm sure the jacket that' mentioned is great but do we really get 'what we pay for', how do we go about fitting into this criteria?

I don't know about iphones, fashion accessories aren't they? By waterproofs I mean a jacket that is waterproof and will stay waterproof when used in the British hills all year round, and for a good many years. I have a waterproof jacket that's over twenty years old. That does actually reduce the build up of condensation on the inside of the fabric, nothing will eliminate it altogether. Also the design of the garment is usable, the pockets, zips, hood etc are in the right places and work. That's what I meant in my post above. 

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:53:30, 28/07/18 »
Sorry to prattle on but sometimes I really like doing so.

Yes.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:26:52, 28/07/18 »
I've had several Mountain equipment jackets they are expensive but you get what you pay for, quality. One thing to watch out for is the fashion for making cloths slim fit - or "Active fit" - this is not as all helpful when you're trying to get it on over several layer in a blizzard.

I have nothing but good words to say about the Mountain Equipment Gore Tex Pro jacket that I splashed out on a couple of years ago; expensive but well designed, and stands up well to the obscene winter weather that we get up here in Orkney.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:28:48, 28/07/18 »
Looking for a hard shell jacket and the multitude to choose from is so confusing, I'm a keen hill walker and want something to stand up to some quite serious weather. Sort of settled on a choice between the Arcteryx Zeta AR or the Mountain Equipment Janak, I want this to be several year purchase so any views or alternatives would be gratefully received.

As Owen says, Mountain Equipment make some very good jackets, and do go for a large fit, so that you can pile on the layers underneath without feeling trussed up.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 10:22:34, 29/07/18 »
Yesterday I was on a boat in hammering rain for about 30-45mins and my £20 decathlon packaway stayed waterproof.
Another time I walked for about 10 mins in heavy rain with a workmate. He had a North Face gtx jacket, I had a Peter storm packaway. I was dry, he was soaked.

You don't ALWAYS get what you pay for. What you normally do get is warranty.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:42:11, 29/07/18 »
There are so many good ones that's it hard to say. You defo don't need to pay hundreds to get something very waterproof.

Best to try some out to ensure the hood etc work for you, or that the pockets aren't covered by your rucksack belt. Its things like that that matter in really bad weather I find.

Branded Goretex, eVent, Neoshell etc are generally better at breathing than the own brand PU based ones but the gap is narrowing apparently.

dinger

« Reply #11 on: 10:07:38, 30/07/18 »

Im toying with water proof jackets at moment currently got a £120 mountain equipment lightweight which has been good for last 2 years on mountain but ive noticed the water coming in at the odd place when extreme downfall for a certain time.
Ive seen jackets 200-300 pound and they may be some good ones out there but ive heard some wasting there money because of same problem.
I would love to get a majority vote on waterproof lightweight between 100-200 mark.
I wont even entertain Acrytyx what ever the make is for the price they want for there jackets. :o

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:30:48, 30/07/18 »
I've never yet had a waterproof jacket 'leak' if properly looked after by cleaning correctly and 'rewaterproofing' when necessary.  Dampness inside has always been caused by sweating/breathability issues due to relevant conditions (weather, pushing too hard etc).

I have a 'cheap' Marmot Precip that's always carried for the occasional shower, not as breathable as either my Berghaus 3 layer or Keela, which I'll wear/take if the weather looks bad.  I know I can't push it when wearing the Precip as much as I can with the others.

@dinger Check it really is leaking by wearing it in the shower.  If it is wash it according to the care instructions and if it still leaks use NikWax TX Direct or similar.  That should revive it and save you a hundred quid or so  O0

This is always a good read https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_breathable_waterproofs
Where there's a will ...

dinger

« Reply #13 on: 12:19:04, 30/07/18 »

Thanks susssamb  O0
Only other issue issue I normally do have with sometimes is carrying a big backpack and somehow it pushes my trousers slightly down around my waste o and so water gets down the back of my backside haha, but that's just me bad admin.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy