Author Topic: Senior Newbie seeking shoe advice  (Read 1031 times)

AaLF

Senior Newbie seeking shoe advice
« on: 22:39:44, 31/07/18 »
G'Day all.  I'm a pensioner who MUST walk daily around the neighbourhood for health benefits.  I'm down here in Sydney Australia and want to invest in a pair of sandals as the climate is suitable most of the year.  I was thinking about a pair of barefoot sandals from Xero shoes but I've just come across negative comments about how they are not pleasant for walking/jogging along suburban concrete footpaths which is where I'll be walking.
So what is an ideal sandal for footpath walking?  Can some of you toss in a few suggestions please for a pair of quality walking sandals?  (Dirt trails and bush-walking is not close by, I'm restricted to concrete footpaths.)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Senior Newbie seeking shoe advice
« Reply #1 on: 23:19:17, 31/07/18 »
For walking on hard concrete footpaths I would suggest anything with plenty of cushioning, particularly in the heel area.  Personally, I don't think anything "barefoot" would be suitable due to the lack of cushioning.

Ultimately, go for footwear that fits correctly and is comfortable for YOUR feet - everybody's feet are different so what I may find comfortable you may find excruciatingly painful.

Brands shouldn't be important.  It's comfort and fit that counts.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:07:34, 01/08/18 »

As Mel says, the best thing to do is go and try on a lot.  I am on my second pair of Northface  sandals, I think they are called hedgehogs, which I find very comfortable.  I also have some which I think are Ecco (they are so old I can't find a name on them) which are great over short distances but not so well cushioned.  I tried on an awful lot of sandals before settling on those though.  Some people prefer sandals with covered in toes, which is protective and might get fewer stones in them, but I don't get on with them so well.
I have tried on a lot of sandals which I find positively uncomfortable.  I was told Keen were really comfortable, but they gave me blisters.  Walk round the shop in them for a while before you buy, and if you have any doubts, look further.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:00:13, 01/08/18 »
G'day cobber.
Apart from when I'm hiking, I wear sandals outside except for the depths of winter.  My Teva sandals are very comfortable and quite hard-wearing. I also recently acquired a second set from Mountain Warehouse to wear for best (i.e. the pub and the shops).
The problem I have with sandals is that they start to become minging long before they wear out.  Soaking them in disinfectant or dilute bleach when the pong becomes unbearable helps but tends to destroy the glue holding the straps on.  Gorilla glue can be used to reglue them.  I can still bring the Mountain Warehouse sandals indoors but the Tevas have to be left in the garage, preferably with the doors open.  With this in mind, go for comfort and price.  Multiple velcro straps help get the adjustment just so and if anything, go slightly big to prevent toe stubbing.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy