Author Topic: Budget woman's waterproof jacket?  (Read 1038 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Budget woman's waterproof jacket?
« on: 19:13:44, 10/08/18 »
The wife could do with a waterproof shell for the odd hike and some general use. I don't think she'd want to pay more than £80 really.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

zuludog

Re: Budget woman's waterproof jacket?
« Reply #1 on: 11:32:45, 11/08/18 »
Try Go Outdoors sale
Click on 'sale' then use the menu on lhs to narrow the search - womens; jackets; waterproof
Probably have to search a bit to find size & colour that suits, as these are ends of ranges, and some choices are out of stock

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:16:53, 11/08/18 »
I always think Tog24 is worth a look. Something like this might fit the bill  https://www.tog24.com/vettel-womens-performance-waterproof-jacket-turquoise.html
Waterproof, breathable and packable all for £48.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:57:54, 13/08/18 »
Thanks.

Any thoughts on the Marmot Precip for her? They go for £60, have pit zips and what looks like a half decent hood.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:06:32, 14/08/18 »
Sorry I haven't used any Marmot so couldn't really say.

The best approach would be for your wife to look at a range of waterproofs online to get an idea of the range of features; decide which are important for her and then try on ones which offer those features. If you have the flexibility in finances, you can often order online to try out style/sizes etc (if no stockists are nearby) and the return for free (check T&Cs).

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:16:30, 14/08/18 »
Any thoughts on the Marmot Precip for her? They go for £60, have pit zips and what looks like a half decent hood.

I use the man's version and very happy with it.
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:30:11, 14/08/18 »

I have had a Precip since Oct 15. It is nearing end of life now but it has been used every weekend for nearly 3 years and I also use it every day to work in the summer. Great value for money, it has served me very well.
Hate will never win

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:38:46, 15/08/18 »
I was going to get a Marmot Precip before we tackled the Pennine Way and had tried one on but decided that my current waterpoof would be good for one more year if I reproofed it. I was wrong! I got very wet through just before Hawes and ended up buying a new one there ( no Marmot Precip), so I still haven’t got one unfortunately! But it was comfortable, fitted well and the reviews were good.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #8 on: 21:04:14, 16/08/18 »
I have discovered this year that going direct to the branded website is the cheapest way, Craghoppers was a particularly fruitful shop..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:34:20, 17/08/18 »
I've borrowed a friend's goretex jacket for her for the time being and I'll get bargain hunting after the upcoming jaunt that I wanted it for.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:39:44, 17/08/18 »
DOUBLE POST

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy