Author Topic: TRs  (Read 2487 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
TRs
« on: 13:24:53, 02/11/18 »

Comments on another thread led to an attack of guilt because I have never done a Trip Report.
This is mainly because I don't take photographs.  Even worse, if I'm out walking with someone who does I get quite ratty if I end up standing around getting cold while they compose their shot, or insist that I pose looking like an idiot for scale or human interest or whatever.
What makes me feel more guilty is that I enjoy reading other peoples reports, and looking at the photos, and getting ideas from them.
So, the question. Are TRs any good with no piccies attached?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: TRs
« Reply #1 on: 13:42:16, 02/11/18 »
I think TRs can still be interesting and inspiring, even without photos.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:24:37, 02/11/18 »
Yes, I think it's interesting to read about people's walks, with or without photos    :)

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:16:50, 03/11/18 »
Oh dear Islandplodder, you wouldn’t like walking with me  ;D

But seriously in general yes, you don’t need photos for a trip report......but in my opinion, one of the main reasons I go hillwalking is for the sense of freedom and exploration in big open vistas and photos help to convey that feeling to the reader, so even one or two might help.

However, my tip would be avoid making them boring. There are so many online sites with directions, turn left at the gate and walk half a mile and you’ll come to a stile etc.
Write about your walk, what you did, maybe add some humour, some history that makes it unique and that’s what I enjoy reading when I come across a good blog.
And I also try to do the same when writing mine  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:47:44, 03/11/18 »

I don't have a camera Jontea.
I bought one once and the OH borrowed it, took it on his boat and got seawater in it, and I never bothered to replace it.
And I'm really bad at taking photos, and it would take a stressful few hours to work out how to upload them.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:28:05, 03/11/18 »
My efforts are little more than pics, its just so time consuming to sort it all out  :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:38:00, 03/11/18 »
I, for one, are very grateful for any posted TR's and photos on here or elsewhere as quite often it gives me ideas for future walks, add them to bucket lists or just enjoy readin what members have been upto.

I like doing them, hopefully so that people will enjoy them, maybe even help them (especially planning LDWs) and generally to look back on in years to come to point out to my grandkids etc that the old man in front of them who can't get up the stairs anymore used to actually visit some lovely places.

I enjoy the photos, even if they are taken in rain/mist and bad conditions as it's a diary of their own experience and what they saw that day.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:19:15, 06/11/18 »
It's always nice to look at photos, but a well written trip report will stand up on its own without them. I would advise including a map though; helps readers to visualise your route.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:32:30, 06/11/18 »
It's always nice to look at photos, but a well written trip report will stand up on its own without them.

Absolutely agree with this.  O0

Dantheman

« Reply #9 on: 18:56:45, 07/11/18 »
I am trying to log my walk using my phone, I can take photos, follow my route using viewranger with os maps, record my route using strava and broadcast my location in nearly realtime using glympse..What do others use Dan

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:23:43, 07/11/18 »
I am trying to log my walk using my phone, I can take photos, follow my route using viewranger with os maps, record my route using strava and broadcast my location in nearly realtime using glympse..What do others use Dan

I take photos using my camera and/or phone. I follow a route on a paper map. I track the actual walk I did using ViewRanger. I keep a diary of my walk (photos, write up and link to VR track) on my blog.  I don't broadcast my real-time location partly because if I'm up a hill in the middle of nowhere miles away from home then that announces to the world that my house is empty and partly because nobody actually gives a stuff where I am!

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:32:14, 07/11/18 »
I don't broadcast my real-time location partly because if I'm up a hill in the middle of nowhere miles away from home then that announces to the world that my house is empty and partly because nobody actually gives a stuff where I am!

Not to mention I don't know how you'd broadcast your GPS location without a phone signal, there's not usually a phone signal on the fells I've visited. I'd imagine you'd need some sort of satellite internet, rather expensive!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:39:21, 07/11/18 »
Very true Rob, also including killing battery life.  I think gunwharfman has some sort of beacon locator device so perhaps he'll chip in on the thread with what that is as he has a tendency towards value for money.

Dantheman

« Reply #13 on: 20:00:01, 07/11/18 »
I agree re signal and battery. im new to this and walking the uk coast so prob easy to get signal in South East. I will need to bare this in mind when I get to remote locations..I wont be able to find my way!!!..Help.. Dan

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:01:55, 07/11/18 »
You could also use Buddy Beacon on ViewRanger if you make your PIN public.  You can change it again if you want to go covert.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy