Author Topic: Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update  (Read 8730 times)

rockhopper353

Re: Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update
« Reply #60 on: 15:59:10, 10/11/18 »
Glad you got sorted out. Break them in slowly and they will gradually conform to the shape of your feet and the fit will improve over time.

They will obviously feel strange at first but trust your feet to tell you when your boots fits you properly. After 15 minutes on your feet if you occasionally forget you're wearing them you definitely know they fit you properly.

Once you're 100% happy with them and have made the final decision to keep them get some wax on them as you will find the factory finish on the leather is minimal and quite a dry finish.

What size and width fitting did you end up with and did you try the Altberg Warrior military boots?

Got them on my feet now whilst watching the rugby. I won't be in to much of hurry to use them and will certainly give them a good waxing first, bought some leder gris whilst I was there.

I ended up going with a 13 wide which I think has provided a little more room on top of the foot.

I did try the same in the warrior and they fitted OK as well so will be keeping my eye out for a bargain on ebay, probably look for some fairly new ones though as I'd guess if previously worn in they would be molded to another foot shape?

rockhopper353

« Reply #61 on: 16:03:44, 10/11/18 »
Good for you.  Hope you get many miles out of them, with a bit of tlc after each trip they will last you many miles.
Don't forget, Altberg offers a resoling service when the time comes.  Had mine done, Mrs N had hers done - like getting new boots but already worn in!

Thanks, I'm fairly religious when it comes to cleaning and waxing after use so hopefully I'll get some decent mileage out of them.
Good to know that the resoling service is an option in the future as well, I'm sure I've made the correct decision in paying more for the Altbergs in the long run.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 16:12:40, 10/11/18 »
I did try the same in the warrior and they fitted OK as well so will be keeping my eye out for a bargain on ebay, probably look for some fairly new ones though as I'd guess if previously worn in they would be molded to another foot shape?

I would agree with your thinking on buying new or nearly new if you can especially as you will be using them every day. It's usually easy to tell from the creases to the leather and wear to the soles although some sellers use a generic photo and not one of the actual boots they are selling so care is needed. Try to avoid any which have had a healthy dose of Kiwi polish (instead of wax) and have turned a horrible shade of purple with overspill onto the sides of the sole unit!  :o

You just need to be patient until the right boot at the right price is listed.

rockhopper353

« Reply #63 on: 16:26:06, 10/11/18 »
I would agree with your thinking on buying new or nearly new if you can especially as you will be using them every day. It's usually easy to tell from the creases to the leather and wear to the soles although some sellers use a generic photo and not one of the actual boots they are selling so care is needed. Try to avoid any which have had a healthy dose of Kiwi polish (instead of wax) and have turned a horrible shade of purple with overspill onto the sides of the sole unit!  :o

You just need to be patient until the right boot at the right price is listed.

Haha, yes I'm seen a couple of pairs that look like they've had the cherry blossom treatment!

I am a little concerned having seen the thread with the cracks that have appeared on the crease lines as I do tend to get fairly heavy creasing on my boots (must be my walking gait), so will work the wax quite heavily into those areas.

On waxing the assistant in the shop recommended using a brush as it helps create heat allowing the wax to absorb better, I've always used a cloth, any thoughts on the waxing process?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 16:37:25, 10/11/18 »
Heavy creasing is usually a sign of a badly fitting boot - most likely the boot was too wide or had too much volume for your feet.

I sent you PM regarding this the other day linking to this earlier post which is definitely worth a read and I would recommend that you follow the advice given by Whalley Warm & Dry

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37346.msg529788#msg529788

(check the "My Messages" link at the top of the page)  ;)

Altberg's website has this information available https://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/bootcare/

Another earlier post which may also help/explain http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35335.msg504666#msg504666

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 17:03:23, 10/11/18 »

On waxing the assistant in the shop recommended using a brush as it helps create heat allowing the wax to absorb better, I've always used a cloth, any thoughts on the waxing process?

I do both, a finger tip in cloth to apply it all over and to work it into the stitching and any creases; followed by a good going over with a brush to work it in thoroughly. I keep going until there is some semblance of a shine which means it has all been worked in.  If I am feeling motivated, I have a second brush to buff to a better shine.  It's not the shine I am after per se (although there is some pleasure in it) but rather I find mucky water runs of shiny boots better.  I can paddle through a fair bit of water and still emerge with dry boots.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 17:39:58, 10/11/18 »
How often do you wax your boots? The shop assistant told me to do it when the water stops beading on the top of the boot.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 18:06:52, 10/11/18 »
How often do you wax your boots? The shop assistant told me to do it when the water stops beading on the top of the boot.
If I come back from a trip and they look good I leave them, just a quick buff with a brush does.  If they are a bit mucky then I go at them with a stiffer brush and then decide if they need a bit of tlc or not depending on the finish.  If they look a bit matt I will give them a light coat and a polish.  If they are really mucky then it is the bucket and brush.  At that point you can see if the water is beading or not.  In my experience, any trip that involves exposure to rough vegetation for a decent length of time, especially if it's wet, will take surface wax off and they will need redoing.  Looking at the toecaps will tell you, they go a bit darker than the rest of the boot when wet.
You can tell when the boots are hungry as you wax them, if they do not need wax you will find the wax goes further as you put it on.
My view is boots are expensive so look after them; too much care is likely to be far less harmful than too little.
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 18:27:51, 10/11/18 »

In my opinion if it gets to the point where the water stops beading it means the leather has started to soak up the water and you've left it too long before waxing.

I clean them after every outing and wax them after every wet outing. It's the dust, dirt and mud that the water clings to and if left on the surface of the leather it can eventually cause damage to both the stitching and the leather. The acids contained within sheep and cattle crap can be very damaging to leather if left for any length of time.

When the wax is brushed into the leather the oils contained within the wax replace any oils lost from the leather during the drying out process. If it's done right there should only be a thin almost invisible layer of wax left on the surface of the leather.

I agree with ninthace that the more you brush the shinier the finish and the less the crap sticks to them and the easier they are to clean next time.

rockhopper353

« Reply #69 on: 19:21:57, 10/11/18 »
Thanks for the advice guys, pretty much how I've looked after my leather boots previously although not maybe as diligently as I should have and without the use of a brush for the wax.

Didnt see the pm kinkyboots, sorry, I've switched to the mobile version of the site now on my phone, didn't particularly like the layout of the normal version.

rockhopper353

« Reply #70 on: 19:24:13, 10/11/18 »
Thanks for the advice guys, pretty much how I've looked after my leather boots previously although not maybe as diligently as I should have and without the use of a brush for the wax.

Didnt see the pm kinkyboots, sorry, I've switched to the mobile version of the site now on my phone, didn't particularly like the layout of the normal version.

Edit.. Doesn't look like the mobile version is that great, as keep hitting menu but just goes back to top of page, hmmm.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 08:08:47, 11/11/18 »
I am glad you found some suitable boots. It can be difficult for those of us with non-standard feet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy