Author Topic: Herriot Way in December?  (Read 1076 times)

staggerindragon

Herriot Way in December?
« on: 19:33:10, 10/11/18 »
So, does anyone have personal experience with Wensleydale/Swaledale weather in December?

Would I expect a mix of rain and snow?  More of one or the other (assuming snow up high)?

I have a chance to get away and was thinking about the Herriot Way.  From a quick look, if conditions are absolutely awful, it looks like there's public transportation or a lower route in some form as a back up for most of the route.

Just thought I'd pick your brains.  Thanks!

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Herriot Way in December?
« Reply #1 on: 18:49:54, 11/11/18 »
Very limited experience of the area...walked nearby earlier this year when I was doing parts of the Leeds/ Liverpool canal. Really pleasant part of the world and I wouldn’t see any real problem in walking that sort of terrain in winter, barring exceptional conditions.

I am interested in doing the Herriot Way myself sometime, and did some very low key “research”, and quickly found that one of local hotels/ B and B’s did a package, where they take you out to start of each day, collect you at end of day..then take you out next day to where you finished day before. So possible to just stay in same B and B to do the Way.

Call me soft...but that’s the way I’d do it in winter.

staggerindragon

« Reply #2 on: 21:39:37, 12/11/18 »
Thanks.  I've only been in the area as late as November, so I'm not sure what extremes to expect.

I might look into your transportation tweak, though.  With the ice cleats and extra layers, my pack will be heavier than I like.  Yeah, that's it.  Heavier pack. ;-)

Doddy

« Reply #3 on: 19:12:56, 02/12/18 »
Just before you go get the Mountain forecast for the Dales. In clear weather even if snow on the ground it could be great, however in windy weather with snow, rain it could be desperate. Take a Bivvy or some shelter. The days will be very short so navigation skills in poor light and torches required. I am from Yorkshire though live in Lincolnshire.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:28:56, 02/12/18 »

I did the Herriot way a few years ago, but it was in balmy September.
The only really high bit is over Great Shunner Fell, and if the weather is bad you could always do the road over Buttertubs.  Swaledale has paths all the way down the valley if the higher path looks difficult.  I'm not sure how much public transport there is though.
If the weather is good, it could be lovely

staggerindragon

« Reply #5 on: 22:19:13, 03/12/18 »

Thanks again for your ideas.  I agree about the rain, and my night navigation is untested.

Once I seriously sat down and started planning logistics, especially with a one B & B option, I realized I'd be hard pressed to beat the short days.  I'm not super fast at the best of times, and I figure what's the point of rushing since what I enjoy most is being able to appreciate my surroundings and stop for proper photos when I want.  Scenery's less exciting in the dark. ;)

I'm going to save this one for when I can savour it.  Off to Castleton and Edale for a few days of circular and train-based walks instead.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:50:18, 04/12/18 »
So, does anyone have personal experience with Wensleydale/Swaledale weather in December?

Have stayed and walked in the Yorkshire Dales in all kinds of weather. Well suited to a winter trip in my opinion - the valleys give lots of walking options, and give you shelter from the worst of the weather. You can go up on the moors if you get a decent spell, and there are LOADS of excellent pubs around!

Go for it!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy