Author Topic: Warm base layer for winter walking?  (Read 2691 times)

Reinhardt

Re: Warm base layer for winter walking?
« Reply #15 on: 11:17:28, 20/11/18 »
If anyone's interested, we've taken a punt on Odlo X-warm synthetic base layers at about £35 a piece including postage.

There are cheaper base layers out there, but performance is my primary buying criterion - my wife runs very cold and I wanted something that should keep her snug in the coldest weather. That said, Patagonia etc feels expensive and I hope the Odlo base layers will give sufficient performance at a more reasonable price point.

For those who aren't familiar, Odlo has four thicknesses of base layers from light ones for summer usage through to X-warm for sub-zero conditions.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:36:40, 20/11/18 »
I have a couple of Odlos, I like their underwear but the baselayer products I bought are skin tight and after using them a few times I now know that I'm not keen on skin tight clothing. The shop I bought them from claimed that my sizing for Odlo was Small, I couldn't even get them over my head! I tried Medium, managed to drag them over my body but they were still too tight so I tried Large. At the time they seemed to be the right fit but now I've used them a few times they certainly do not make me feel good. Looking back, I should have tried the XL or even XXL. I don't mind a baselayer fitting comfortably but sorry, skin tight is not for me! We live and learn!

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:40:47, 20/11/18 »
If anyone's interested, we've taken a punt on Odlo X-warm synthetic base layers at about £35 a piece including postage.

There are cheaper base layers out there, but performance is my primary buying criterion - my wife runs very cold and I wanted something that should keep her snug in the coldest weather. That said, Patagonia etc feels expensive and I hope the Odlo base layers will give sufficient performance at a more reasonable price point.

For those who aren't familiar, Odlo has four thicknesses of base layers from light ones for summer usage through to X-warm for sub-zero conditions.

I've used Odlo base layers quite a lot in winter over last few years, I like them.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:29:22, 20/11/18 »
I'm allergic to wool and even Merino seems to irritate so I stick to synthetic. I like the Rab Flux top and leggings - warm, the Polygiene anti-odour stuff seems to work and for me they fit well. I got mine in a Go Outdoors sale for around about £25 each (think the top was a little over, the leggings a little under that).

KimE

« Reply #19 on: 14:58:53, 25/11/18 »

[font=]"Thanks for the tips about the cheap merino, but are they just as warm? Merino tops vary so much, from tops that are pretty thin that are designed for summer walking (e.g. 140g per sq metre) to tops that have no declared merino density, to "merino" tops that are actually <50% merino."
[font=]

[font=]I use a thin ~190g wool set and then use a second thin wool or fleece sweater over it for the colder temperatures.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:57:09, 25/11/18 »
In my case I do not buy a baselayer for warmth, just to help when I'm sweating so I always always buy the 'cool' variety on offer. Its the next layer that I tend to use for warmth.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:28:35, 25/11/18 »
Aldi Specials today (25/11/18) £19.99

Merino base layers & thermals.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/search?text=merino&category=specialbuys

Reinhardt

« Reply #22 on: 10:19:31, 28/11/18 »
The Odlo X-warm base layer top has now arrived so I thought I would feed back the first impressions in case this is helpful.

Fit: My wife is normally an 8. According to Odlo's size guide she needed a small (for sizes 8-10) so that's what we ordered. The fit seems true, i.e. it's a tad baggy but about right. If we were buying from a shop it would be worth trying the XS, but the S is not so baggy that we'll send it back.

Material: It really is very thick for a base layer, as promised. Hopefully that will keep my wife toasty warm as she always runs cold. As the top is a little baggy, she might end up wearing a summer base layer underneath. We'll have to experiment.

Overall, very pleased so far.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy