Author Topic: TR Dovestone Reservoir and Pots and Pans Sun 17 May 20  (Read 968 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Another trip down to see Beefy and Squeaky for another walk. We met at the car park near Wellihole Bridge near Greenfield. A bit of road walking to start before we joined The Pennine Bridleway to Greenfield.

On the Pennine Bridleway

Alderman's Hill

A bit more road walking then another footpath led us up to Dovestone Reservoir. We were going up onto the hill after we'd visited the reservoir.

Dovestone Reservoir

It was mainly cloudy and cold in the wind which was quite strong at times. It was very busy here and the car park was filling up. We walked along the dam wall path

Dovestone Reservoir

Dovestone Reservoir

We found some shelter from the wind and had a break for a brew and food with felled trees as a back rest. It was lovely sitting there especially when the sun came out.

A bit of road walking and we joined the footpath to Binn Green. We walked through another car park which was very full, crossed the busy A635 to reach Long Lane which is a footpath. We followed it for a while then started ascending on other tracks and sheep trod up Aldermans Hill.

Looking back from the climb up Alderman's Hill

Almost at the top

It was steep in places and I can't believe how unfit I am after 8 weeks with no hills!

Pots and Pans

Pots and Pans is the big stone next to the obelisk which is a war memorial.

View from Alderman's Hill

It was very windy here so I didn't want to get any closer to the edge. The bigger reservoir is Yeoman Hey and the smaller one, Greenfield.

On the way to Pots and Pans

The war memorial

There were a lot of people about and I couldn't get a shot of the Pots and Pans stone without a group of people who were sitting on it. I didn't bother.

View from the war memorial

Another view from the war memorial

We descended for a while on a path before circling around the hill, ascending to Board Hill Brow then back down to Long Lane and Binn Green. The car park was very full and cars were parked on the roadside. We struggled to get across the road. We retraced our steps back down to Dovestone Reservoir and had another brew and a bite to eat. Back along the dam wall then we walked by some houses at Hey Top, down Bradbury's Lane to Greenfield, along the bridleway and back to the car park. I must have forgotten I had a camera with me because I didn't take any more photos after leaving Pots and Pans! The walk was 11.25 miles and 430m of ascent. Another lovely walk. I drove back home again and got home 2 and a half hours later, absolutely shattered! I will be getting plenty of driving practise in the coming weeks I imagine. Like the previous walk, some of this walk is within the Peak District border but I've put in the Rest of England.
« Last Edit: 20:28:37, 18/05/20 by April »
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Dovestone Reservoir and Pots and Pans Sun 17 May 20
« Reply #1 on: 20:21:26, 18/05/20 »
Know it well, not sure how you did 13 miles. :)
 Was thinking lately thats one of the few places I could reasonably drive to and do a climb. Which is a real rarity for me!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:29:16, 18/05/20 »
 Was thinking lately thats one of the few places I could reasonably drive to and do a climb. Which is a real rarity for me!

You are right, it was 11 miles not 13  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:00:16, 18/05/20 »
Some lovely views from up thur'  ;D
Was a great walk next time I'll make it a bit longer with more ascent  :D

Aye, not as rare as you putting your hand in your pocket to buy your old mate beefy a pint  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:04:54, 18/05/20 »

:o

Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:48:29, 18/05/20 »
Some lovely views from up thur'  ;D

Aye, not as rare as you putting your hand in your pocket to buy your old mate beefy a pint  ;D
You cheeky old git! From the only man who needs anaesthetic to open his wallet!!!!  :2funny:
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:20:04, 18/05/20 »
Was this weekend a "kitchen utensils" themed weekend?  :D   Pots and Pans now!  Another lovely looking walk.

2.5 hours driving is the limit of my day walking driving too.  It's not so much the drive there, or the walk, but the drive back when you're shattered that's the killer  :(

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:40:23, 19/05/20 »
2.5 hours driving is the limit of my day walking driving too.  It's not so much the drive there, or the walk, but the drive back when you're shattered that's the killer  :(

I had "Reports of animals" on the M61 to watch out for, didn't see any mind but that kept me very alert for half an hour! Then on the M6 a few miles before my exit, workmen were putting cones on it and vehicles had to drive on the hard shoulder so that kept me awake too  :)
Hate will never win

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:07:01, 19/05/20 »
It’s lovely seeing TRs of places that we don’t normally get reports on.

2.5 hours would probably get me to roughly Leicester from Suffolk so still about half hour short of the Peak district! Hence why we can’t go hill walking just for the day  :-\

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:40:36, 19/05/20 »
Nice photos - good to get up onto the moors for a change, April - very different from the Fells - and the footpaths around Scotby and Wetheral.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:37:03, 19/05/20 »
Lovely that you could get together again.
Really nice pics, love the view from Aldermans Hill.
Open hills, big expanses of water and summit slugs not that different from your usual walks.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:41:40, 19/05/20 »
It’s lovely seeing TRs of places that we don’t normally get reports on.

It has been nice seeing it all for myself, I didn't realise the walks were so nice near where beefy lives. He has done these for 40 years plus so he always wants to go elsewhere  :)

2.5 hours would probably get me to roughly Leicester from Suffolk so still about half hour short of the Peak district! Hence why we can’t go hill walking just for the day  :-\

When I lived in Newcastle I used to drive 2.5 hours or more sometimes to get to some parts of the Lake District and then back the same day. That is why I moved closer to it  :)

Nice photos - good to get up onto the moors for a change, April - very different from the Fells - and the footpaths around Scotby and Wetheral.  :)

I am not missing the golf course footpath now the golf club has reopened  :)

Open hills, big expanses of water and summit slugs not that different from your usual walks.

;D The view from Aldermans's Hill reminds me of Haweswater  :)
Hate will never win

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:15:33, 19/05/20 »
Superb views and scenery.  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:08:00, 19/05/20 »
Glad you are out together again O0
Looks ok I suppose, but I miss the golf course and the Pheasant ;)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:24:05, 20/05/20 »
Thanks G&P and Karl  :)

I miss the golf course and the Pheasant ;)

;D Do you know I'm missing it too in a strange way  :-\
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy