Author Topic: Which walk would you want to do all over again?  (Read 4822 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Which walk would you want to do all over again?
« Reply #15 on: 18:07:52, 05/10/19 »
Sorry but I made a mistake in my description of the route I took from Keswick to Edinburgh. I mentioned a village called 'West Dean,' I should have typed WEST LINTON.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:28:27, 05/10/19 »
Much to my regret, I've never been to North Wales to hike. It's easier for me to drive or train it to The Lakes. The nearest for me was Offas Dyke and later one trip to Abergavenny.
From Portsmouth, the drive to Snowdonia is no worse than that to the Lakes. I used to do both from Southampton when I lived in England.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:00:34, 05/10/19 »
I'd like to do Blencathra again, but by a different route.

Does that count?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 00:03:26, 06/10/19 »
If it's walks that you want to do again because they didn't work out right the first time then mine would be the Tongariro Alpine Crossing in NZ.  Flew all the way across the world just to walk and climb in horizontal driving drizzle and didn't see much of the volcano at all, just smelt it.

Our son did that one,with his girl freind a few weeks back.  They loved it, especially sliding down the snow covered slopes, mount Doom in the back ground.

I'm sure you will get back there.
« Last Edit: 00:12:12, 06/10/19 by BuzyG »

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:33:44, 06/10/19 »
For me, the notoriously wet boggy stretch, from Bleaberry Fell to Armboth Fell in the central Lake District, where walkers have lost legs in the mud, okay maybe just boots  ::)

I did this walk during the long drought last year, it was dry as a bone, hardly got my boots dirty, but it was also thick cloud, couldn’t see a thing and I was plagued by flying ants, ate a couple that got in the way of a bite on a sandwich.

But feel I cheated a bit, not earned my rite of passage when I complete the Wainwright’s and would love to see that view too  :)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:35:28, 06/10/19 »

Our son did that one,with his girl freind a few weeks back.  They loved it, especially sliding down the snow covered slopes, mount Doom in the back ground.

I'm sure you will get back there.
Heading back to Rotorua shortly. No plans for Mount Doom this time. There is baby cooing to be done. Oh and a circuit of Taranaki, the family are talking part in a race round it.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:19:52, 06/10/19 »
I would like to have another that the Welsh 3000s. Injuries have stopped me walking any significant distance and haven’t helped my fitness or weight.

There are many places I would go back to and walk again, including:
Dauphine region in France
Morne Blanc on Mahe
Bird Island circuit
Julian Alps in Slovenia
Lake Bled circuit
And many more

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:19:04, 06/10/19 »
When I think of Europe number one has to be the Tour du Mont Blanc, followed by the Stevenson Way and hiking through the Dordogne.

BrionyB

« Reply #23 on: 19:48:24, 06/10/19 »
A beautiful coastal walk on Mull (the 'fossil tree' area), on a freezing cold day in early spring, snow on the higher ground but it was a rare sunny day with stunning blue skies, and the colour of the sea and the quality of the light were just incredible. I'd love to do that again in similar conditions.

Or Kinder Scout the day after New Year's, via a very icy Grindsbrook Clough, one of those bright and sparkly winter days, and so cold that the bog was all frozen hard and a delight to walk over.

Maybe time to think about planning some winter walks!

I'd like to have another go at Gran Paradiso, attempted it nearly 20 years ago but had to turn back before the final climb to the summit as I was feeling so ill (possibly altitude-related, though everyone else in the group was fine; I remember spending a very miserable day and night curled up in my bunk, shivering under a scratchy blanket with the worst headache ever, clutching a plastic bag in case I didn't make it out of the bunk in time to throw up again... hmm, maybe not an experience I want to repeat after all...)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:43:22, 06/10/19 »
Heading back to Rotorua shortly. No plans for Mount Doom this time. There is baby cooing to be done. Oh and a circuit of Taranaki, the family are talking part in a race round it.
Have commented in the NZ thread.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:03:22, 06/10/19 »
One walk I hope to do again is Ben Nevis.  Hopefully with my son this time on a crisp Winters day.  Knowing me I will take a different route though.  Up number three gully and down over CMD via the arette.

Does that count.
« Last Edit: 22:11:10, 06/10/19 by BuzyG »

JerryW

« Reply #26 on: 16:43:37, 07/10/19 »
Another vote for the PW.  I did it first in 2012, and decided to do it every 5 years. In 2017 I did it S-N again but in 2022 I'm going to start in KY  O0

I did the PW for the third time, finishing last week. I also decided to do it every 5 years, though the jury is still out on 2024. This time I did it from N-S and much enjoyed it.. I found it hard work but I think it was more to do with my age than with direction of travel!
https://pyreneeshrp.blogspot.com/2019/09/pennine-way-preparation.html
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:18:14, 07/10/19 »
Some great pics, thanks, enjoyed reading your blog and looking at some of the shortcuts you mention to avoid the drop into Dufton and Horton in 2022  O0
Where there's a will ...

Warbler

« Reply #28 on: 21:18:26, 07/10/19 »
Probably the SW Coast Path between St Ives to Coverack or the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. Both absolutely magical

I'd go for this too, but probably extend it to Falmouth. Wonderful memories of crossing Gillian Creek and the Helford River on a rainy but very still day.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:16:26, 08/10/19 »
I'd like to have another go at Gran Paradiso, attempted it nearly 20 years ago but had to turn back before the final climb to the summit as I was feeling so ill (possibly altitude-related, though everyone else in the group was fine; I remember spending a very miserable day and night curled up in my bunk, shivering under a scratchy blanket with the worst headache ever, clutching a plastic bag in case I didn't make it out of the bunk in time to throw up again... hmm, maybe not an experience I want to repeat after all...)

By a strange coincidence, I have also had to turn back on Gran Paradiso due to illness.

I also chickened out of nearby Herbetet due to avalanche risk, a much more aesthetically appealing peak, and this is the Valsavarenche route that I would really love to repeat - but no realistic possibility of me ever doing this.

Best walk of the fortnight was on my last day - traversing southwards along a network of paths just below the snow line on the western side of the valley - I walked over 20 miles and didn't get back to the campsite until after dark. A truly magnificent day.
« Last Edit: 21:12:52, 08/10/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy